• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Special mention for Phil Brown, after a very tough 8 days with 2 away games we come out with an excellent return of 7 points and touching distance of the summit of L2. Today he showed what a quality tactician he is by bringing on Corr when the 3 in midfield wasn't working. I'm loving the togetherness of this squad just hope that we make a couple of solid additions in this transfer window and maybe just move on a couple who are not in his plans.

Fair play to the ground staff as many other L2 pitches wouldn't of held up do well in awful conditions.

I don't think Milwall will take us lightly.

Thought they made a lot of noise first half, but were as quiet as a mouse the 2nd. What an idiot that guy on the Pompy forum is, of course they bossed the first half, they had a 50 mph wind behind them. Just as we bossed the 2nd half.

Turning point was the equalizer. After the first 10 minutes, I thought if we could get to half time only 1 behind, then that would be a good result given the conditions.

Considering the weather I thought both sides deserve credit for a cracking game. Glad we have Portsmouth out of the way as they are only going to get better. 6 points from them will be better than most others will manage.

Just hope that Mr Brown now abandons the 4 - 3 - 3 or more to the point 4 - 5 - 1 at home. Visiting sides are wise to it and just isolate the lone striker while flooding the midfield. Brave of the manager to change when he did but totally correct. Cannot speak as to how the system works away from home but probably not too bad judging by the away record.

May be in the minority but we shouldn't decry the away support a 1000 on NewYears Day not a bad effort given the day and the weather.

Yet more sour grapes from another visiting team...just got this excerpt from the Pompey Forum. Talk about pot calling the kettle black, given the fact they take great pride in showcasing a fat man with appalling tattoos that rings a cowbell endlessly for every game...
I see this on one of their forums too! Silly comment really. I thought both sets of fans contributed to a good atmosphere today,great way for us to start the year

First half Bentley was our best player kept us in the game,Credit to Brown for changing the formation and making a early substitution,crucial getting a equaliser just before half time.2 brilliant goals from Leonard he is really coming on now and a key man.Pompey will feel hard done by but thats football.

Leonard outstanding also thought Corr and Phillips were excellent too. Will give Millwall a good game.

What a game! Both sides would have been disappointed to lose that game.
Pompey turn out looked big but the numbers didn't seem right...our fans started loudly nearly matching there's, but went quiet after a while.

any other day dan would have been motm for me, he possibly should be with the saves he made. Pompey had a lot of chances first half, second half they really should have had a couple too.

Bentley 8.5, kicking was better than there keepers, and the saves speak for themselves. Agile!

White 6.5 pretty solid performance from the captain, got beaten a couple of times.
Phillips 7 fairly composed and solid at the back.
Prosser 7 same as Phillips. Really on good form!
Coker 7 unlucky slip gifted them the corner they scored from, few overhit freekicks

Hurst 6.5 good on the ball as usual but not as involved.
Atkinson 6 again I didn't notice him, one good run.
Leonard 9.5 nearly had 3, 3 cracking powerful runs. Bossed the midfield.
Timlin 8 as good as Lenny in first half, unlucky with one shot, good passing and composure.
Straker 6.5 was playing okay but brown got it right.

Woodrow 7 good energy, won a lot of the ball.

Corr 7.5 same as Woodrow but got two assists.
Eastwood 6.5 some nice touches but about it.
Clifford not on long enough.

Really enjoyed this game! Need more games like this.

Again though neither striker really had any chances.

I don't know about anyone else but that was my most enjoyable home match this season. We have played better and the conditions didn't help but it was a great atmosphere and second half u always felt we would score. Without. Bentley we could have been buried at half time,and I felt there was a clear pen from a prosser handball. Kenny was simply brilliant,and if only his headed clearence and 70 yard run and shot and resulted in a goal it would have been a perfect performance. Lastly I was really impressed with Eastwood. We looked much better when he came on

and while I remember, good interview by Brown after the match, liked the fact he went out of his way to praise Straker and to make it clear it was a tactical change and not reflective on how he was playing

Last edited:
Special mention for Phil Brown, after a very tough 8 days with 2 away games we come out with an excellent return of 7 points and touching distance of the summit of L2. Today he showed what a quality tactician he is by bringing on Corr when the 3 in midfield wasn't working. I'm loving the togetherness of this squad just hope that we make a couple of solid additions in this transfer window and maybe just move on a couple who are not in his plans.

Fair play to the ground staff as many other L2 pitches wouldn't of held up do well in awful conditions.

I don't think Millwall will take us lightly.

Their assistant manager Mick Harford sat near me today making copious notes. He left before our winner.

I don't think Milwall will take us lightly.

Yeees...........but there are surely some of us on here that would claim he should never have started a home game against, supposedly inferior competition, with a sole striker up front, that had not proved effective away from home at Accrington.

Personally I thought we were lucky to get the 3 points today. Pompey deserved 1 at least today. They outplayed us in the first half, and even the second had a couple of great chances.

I'm not convinced that the poor show was down to the formation, but certainly when playing 1 up front they have to be able to hold the ball up or have some serious pace to be able to run in behind. Woodrow is not that player for me, albeit he has other qualities. Against Accrington we didn't get going until BBBC arrived, so I was surprised by the team selection today. That said, credit to PB for making the change very early and not even waiting until half time.

Leonard and Bentley got PB out of jail a bit on this one as they were the match winners. Leonard was faultless - simply brilliant from start to finish, except maybe a tired pass after about 80 mins which led to Pompey hitting the bar.

Other honorable mentions to White and Corr, whilst Atkinson and Timlin should be praised for work rate.

Thoroughly enjoyable match, very open and showed how well we can play when our opponents also try to play. On the whole, well reffed, though how the officials missed the blatant handball I'll never know! Saw Tara Brady and Chris Barker before the game, both obviously there with Portsmouth, thought the atmosphere in the ground was good from both teams.

Bentley - 7.5, did really well in what were very difficult conditions, the low kicking might have looked a bit dodgy at times, but it was better than kicking it high against the wind, some great saves, though couldn't do anything about the one off the crossbar
White - 7, such a solid performer, good crossing, good defending
Phillips - 7, much, much more like the Phillips we expect though got himself forward at times too
Prosser - 7.5, pick of the defence, another head injury! The guy is invincible!
Coker - 6.5, been a bit off the boil lately, but being criminally over-looked as an outlet at times
Hurst - 6.5, didn't look too happy in the conditions but made some good runs nevertheless
Timlin - 7.5, good, solid midfield performance from Tims, beautifully picked out by Freddy for what could have been a certain goal if it had worked - these two work together amazingly well
Leonard - 9, MOTM by a country mile - virtuoso performance. The complete all round performance of the season for me. Shame the run almost the length of the pitch didn't produce the goal it deserved but he'll be happy with the two!
Atkinson - 7, quietly diligent
Straker - 6, enough for now. Time to be dropped
Woodrow - 7, worked hard but he's not the target man Corr is, and the change suited him more when it happened.

Subs:
Corr for Straker - 7, things started to happen when Corr came on, but boy was his heading at goal off kilter!
Eastwood for Woodrow - 7, still got that passion and can make things happen, as already mentioned, a sublime pass to Timlin
Clifford for Atkinson - 6.5, not a great deal of opportunity but the right thing to do when he came on.

Well done Blues, a great start to the New Year, 7 points out of 9 over the holiday period and only not top 3 on goal difference! Bring on the Millwall!

Yet more sour grapes from another visiting team...just got this excerpt from the Pompey Forum. Talk about pot calling the kettle black, given the fact they take great pride in showcasing a fat man with appalling tattoos that rings a cowbell endlessly for every game...

Dont know what game he was at but it certainly wasnt the game that I watched, perhaps he spent more time longingly admiring True Blue's manly physique and conducting a footie fans fashion review to take any notice of what actually happened on the pitch??
For the record it was a tight game dictated by the weather conditions, but 3 points deserved, and 4 4 2 please, we were a different side when BBBC came on.

Dont know what game he was at but it certainly wasnt the game that I watched, perhaps he spent more time longingly admiring True Blue's manly physique and conducting a footie fans fashion review to take any notice of what actually happened on the pitch??
For the record it was a tight game dictated by the weather conditions, but 3 points deserved, and 4 4 2 please, we were a different side when BBBC came on.

You will start making me blush carring on like that

tumblr_myn65h3Ukx1qivspno1_500.jpg

(love you Scott!)

I was sat in East Greens yesterday, thought the conditions truly affected the game and the result was in the balance right until the end.
Just like to comment on the barrel of laughs (not), sat behind me.....Doom and gloom would be an understatement !

I get everyone has an opinion....but to be sooooooooooooooooooooooooo negative...just wondered why he even bothered to turn up ?
Answer was..."I've paid my money, I can say what I like"

Naturally, became a right of barrel of laughs once the winner went in......short term memory to say the least

There are plenty in the West. Sometimes I wonder if they'd prefer it if we lose, just so that they can have a good old moan.

I didnt speak to Brown before the game but evryone I did speak to thought we had to start with 2 up front.Marks:-
Bentley 6 Some good shot-stopping 1st half but needs to realise he should be able to command the 6-yard box-eg why does he keep punching the ball at head-height,when he's not being challenged at all?
White 7 Composed as ever.Makes very few mistakes.
Phillips 6 Looked worryingly vulnerable at times-I fear we are going to miss Kiernan big-time.
Prosser 6 Ditto -only slightly more so!
Coker 6 Not showing his early-seasonform.Like everyone else he struggled against Racon.
Hurst 6/7 Not one of his better games but is always a threat with his crossing ability.
Timlin 7 Always energetic and aggressive,looking to make incisive passes.
Leonard 8/9 His running with the ball could make him into a formidable proposition-he's always had a powerful shot.
Atkinson 6 Admirable work-rate but I think Laird has a bit more to offer in central midfield.
Straker 5 Very anonymous-should have started on the bench.
Woodrow 5 Has a lot of potential but he is NOT a target-man!
Subs:-
Corr 6/7 We all know he is not a good finisher,but he is absolutely vital to this team-remember our collapse from the top of the table a couple of seasons ago when Liam Dickenson got injured?
Eastwood 6/7 He always looks threatening.Importantly his arrival lifts the crowd
Clifford Not sure whether he touched it or not..

Back