• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

seen a few stories, some say 2008, some 1994, and the bbc tweeted we'd never been there? can an older, wiser and more nerdy member give some insight please? :D

This is the 12th time we have made it to the 4th Round. We have reached the 5th Round on four previous occasions. Our last three appearances in the 4th Round were in 2008 (v Barnsley), 2007 (v Tottenham Hotspur) and 1993 (v Huddersfield Town), only the last of which we won.

The 2008 Barnsley game was the one where Campbell-Ryce scored the cracker and they got Liverpool in the next round and beat them.

Was that Barnsley game the one where the pitch really was sodden and they were aquaplaning all over the place?

I remember Barnsley vividly. Just started University and watched Liverpool lose to them. I was thinking to myself it could have been us playing them away.

Was that Barnsley game the one where the pitch really was sodden and they were aquaplaning all over the place?

Yes OBL, it was.

I don't think it was - That game finished 1-1 with Devaney scoring via a handball in the last minute for them after Freddie had deflected a Gower freekick for us in a deluge that was farcial.
We won the replay at their place. This was when we were in the CCC.
The 1-0 defeat was a year later when were in L1 & was a Friday night game.

...and to ask another nerdy question, what is the longest FA Cup run we've ever had?

I know we got to the 5th round in 1993, but we've already had a longer run than that this season, cos we started in the 1st round and now we're in the 4th whereas in 93 we started in the 3rd round. Have we ever made the 5th round from a 1st round start?

...and to ask another nerdy question, what is the longest FA Cup run we've ever had?

I know we got to the 5th round in 1993, but we've already had a longer run than that this season, cos we started in the 1st round and now we're in the 4th whereas in 93 we started in the 3rd round. Have we ever made the 5th round from a 1st round start?

Yep Seasons 1925/6, 1951/2 & 1975/6

1925/6
1st Round Dulwich Hamlet 5-1
2nd Round Gillingham 1-0
3rd Round Southport 5-2
4th Round Derby 4-1
5th Round Nottingham Forest 0-1
All games played at home in front of 10,000+ crowds

1951/2
1st Round Bournemouth 6-1
2nd Round Oldham 5-0
3rd Round Southampton 2-0
4th Round Bristol Rovers 2-1 http://www.britishpathe.com/video/f...rovers-southend/query/southend+bristol+rovers
5th Round Sheffield United 1-2
All games played at home 20,000+ crowds for 4th & 5th rounds

1975/6
1st Round Swansea 2-0
2nd Round Dover 4-1
3rd Round Brighton 2-1
4th Round Cardiff 2-1
5th Round Derby 0-1
All matches at home apart from 5th round.

Ah, that's why I don't remember them. They all started before I was born!

The 75/76 cup run was just fabulous. Every game had something special.
The winner against Cardiff City?? Roots Hall went beserk!! Well, the home support in the crowd of 12,863 at least!! Stuart Parker got both ... that late, late winner. Pandemonium.
What a cup tie.

Yeah I ****ed myself that day too. But that's cos I was barely 3 months old.

OK, a couple more questions for the stattos amongst us:

1. When was the last time that we drew a top flight side at home in the FA Cup? This would exclude Chelsea a few seasons back as that was a replay.
2. When was the last time we beat a team from 2 divisions above us in the FA Cup?

And no, I don't know the answer myself. Have been going since the late 70's and can't remember either happening since then (cue someone stating that it happened last year).

OK, a couple more questions for the stattos amongst us:

1. When was the last time that we drew a top flight side at home in the FA Cup? This would exclude Chelsea a few seasons back as that was a replay.
2. When was the last time we beat a team from 2 divisions above us in the FA Cup?

And no, I don't know the answer myself. Have been going since the late 70's and can't remember either happening since then (cue someone stating that it happened last year).

Answer to Q1 is QPR in 1974/75.
Answer to Q2 is none in living memory. I have been going since 1967, and there are barely any clubs one league higher that we have beaten - Swindon (a) in 1968/69 and Aston Villa (h) in 1971/72 come to mind. Oh and Chesterfield in 2001/02 at home after a replay.

From Memory I cannot recall anything i'm afraid. I do remember when we were in the championship the first time we never got a really decent cup draw at home - we got West Ham away & Southampton away if I recall - the only one that sticks in my mind is the original Millwall game which was potponed due to fog & played mid week with Stan scoring & a bit of rioting post match.

Back