• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I can't agree with you on this one Yorkshire Blue.

The background is that we are playing today against one of the best teams in the league and we (S.U.F.C.) are trying to win every game and be promoted. So using one (or more) player(s) out of position is not going to be helpful.

Perhaps it is the memories of playing people like Hunt in the central defence in the championship that still haunts me ........

Presumably he's available for the cup as Burnley are already out and he hasn't played, but what a bizarre signing and kick in the face for Thompson and Auger.

Bizarre? Our main RB is injured and we are playing 4 games against tough opposition, is that the right time to throw in a player who has only made 1 professional appearance and isn't ready or a young CB out of position.

Bit more positive after reading this thread and watching that goal! Did he play at right back for York? That goal would really suggest otherwise :s

I can't agree with you on this one Yorkshire Blue.

The background is that we are playing today against one of the best teams in the league and we (S.U.F.C.) are trying to win every game and be promoted. So using one (or more) player(s) out of position is not going to be helpful.

Perhaps it is the memories of playing people like Hunt in the central defence in the championship that still haunts me ........

I don't remember Lewis Hunt playing centre-half in the championship. Do you mean centre-mid?

Our success has been built on being a team. Throwing in an outsider loses you that as he doesn't know his team-mates, he doesn't know the system and can upset that team spirit in the squad. I reckon at least four players will have been disappointed to hear that we've signed him (Auger, Thompson and then Laird and Clifford in midfield as Leonard is going to go back to centre-mid).

This is how things fell apart last year, except signing the likes of Lund and Reeves was necessary because of the ridiculous amount of injuries we suffered. We have enough bodies to ride out White's injury and any short-term benefit isn't worth the long-term cost.

And even if he is a roaring success what then happens when our captain returns?

I don't remember Lewis Hunt playing centre-half in the championship. Do you mean centre-mid?

Our success has been built on being a team. Throwing in an outsider loses you that as he doesn't know his team-mates, he doesn't know the system and can upset that team spirit in the squad. I reckon at least four players will have been disappointed to hear that we've signed him (Auger, Thompson and then Laird and Clifford in midfield as Leonard is going to go back to centre-mid).

This is how things fell apart last year, except signing the likes of Lund and Reeves was necessary because of the ridiculous amount of injuries we suffered. We have enough bodies to ride out White's injury and any short-term benefit isn't worth the long-term cost.

He goes back to Burnley and we carry on as we were. Your reading way too much into this, PB has done an excellent job and he will do what PS failed to do and get us promoted.

Signing a player loses the team? What bollocks that is. Should we not sign anyone because players might get upset that they might lose their place?

Auger hasn't made the bench recently, so he will hardly be disappointed that he hasn't gone from playing reserve team football to being a cert for the first team. Thompson is a CB and isn't really in contention for that place. I really can't see how you've come to the conclusion 2 central midfielders are going to be upset that Auger or Thompson aren't playing RB.

No, the injures last year destroyed the team. Long-term cost? We are bringing in a player to cover for an injured first team player, we aren't bringing Mohsni back to cover! I'm guessing when we loaned Federici to cover for Mildenhall's injury a few seasons ago, that ruined our season?

We have him for 30 days, by the time that is over White will be ready to come back into the team.

You really are making a mountain out of a mole hill with this one. You really need to let this grudge on Brown go.

i agree with everything you say Chapperz, but I do think that the team's main area of weakness is upfront, so I think a lot of the disappointment is over the lack of a forward signing, whereas we have a few players who can fill in at right-back. Hopefully he does really well, and he has got some cracking games to be involved in!

Going slightly off thread (it's never stopped me before), I have vague memories of away at Preston (we won 3-2) and away at Sheffield Wednesday (we lost 2-1) and I think the referee pointed to the penalty spot after the ball made contact with Hunt's arm.

Hope the boy isn't out for long. Looked a class player for the time on the pitch today. Fantastic ball to set Straker away in the build up to Hursts goal.

Did enough in half an hour to warrant an extension to the 30 day loan. Didn't put a foot wrong.

Did enough in half an hour to warrant an extension to the 30 day loan. Didn't put a foot wrong.

Except unfortunately get injured which could be the end of his loan already.

Did look decent up until then though.

Would we be looking to extend it anyway? Id have thought he is just here until White is back?

Signing a player loses the team? What bollocks that is. Should we not sign anyone because players might get upset that they might lose their place?

Auger hasn't made the bench recently, so he will hardly be disappointed that he hasn't gone from playing reserve team football to being a cert for the first team. Thompson is a CB and isn't really in contention for that place. I really can't see how you've come to the conclusion 2 central midfielders are going to be upset that Auger or Thompson aren't playing RB.

No, the injures last year destroyed the team. Long-term cost? We are bringing in a player to cover for an injured first team player, we aren't bringing Mohsni back to cover! I'm guessing when we loaned Federici to cover for Mildenhall's injury a few seasons ago, that ruined our season?

We have him for 30 days, by the time that is over White will be ready to come back into the team.

You really are making a mountain out of a mole hill with this one. You really need to let this grudge on Brown go.

Can we have a #ybgetsitwrong

What an inspired piece of business. Even if we don't get another minute out of him, THAT ball set the whole thing rolling today. The first goal made Chesterfield change their game plan and the quick fire second and third came naturally.

Looks like an excellent player and any concerns around team spirit would have completely dissipated the moment Hurst got on the end of Straker's cross.

What an inspired piece of business. Even if we don't get another minute out of him, THAT ball set the whole thing rolling today. The first goal made Chesterfield change their game plan and the quick fire second and third came naturally.

Looks like an excellent player and any concerns around team spirit would have completely dissipated the moment Hurst got on the end of Straker's cross.

I preferred #ybgetsitwrong

What an inspired piece of business. Even if we don't get another minute out of him, THAT ball set the whole thing rolling today. .
indeed he looked great and it was a real shame he picked up an injury. If that cameo is his only Southend highlights then we must all be thankful. That cross field pass for our first was top class.

He got it completely wrong this time but I could see where he was coming from at least. But he was also busily getting it right with his Leonard drum long before anyone else was.

Ah, you're right.

#ybgetsitwrong

Not quite, I've been banging on about both Lenny and Prosser while it was very unfashionable to do so - I think even YB would back me up on that.

I thought O'Neill looked a great prospect, THAT pass was absolutely top drawer and hopefully the thigh problem is something that can be easily resolved by Ben Clarkson and his team.

He got it completely wrong this time but I could see where he was coming from at least. But he was also busily getting it right with his Leonard drum long before anyone else was.

Ah, you're right.

#ybgetsitwrong

To be fair he does get a fair amount right, but a couple of times this season he has tried to criticise and find faults of Brown that really aren't there.

He might have been banging the Leonard drum a lot, but he certainly wasn't the first.

Not quite, I've been banging on about both Lenny and Prosser while it was very unfashionable to do so - I think even YB would back me up on that.

I thought O'Neill looked a great prospect, THAT pass was absolutely top drawer and hopefully the thigh problem is something that can be easily resolved by Ben Clarkson and his team.

I've always championed Prosser and leonard too. Saw Leonard's potential a long time ago. As for Prosser, have always liked him, winners mentality. When he was being slated for hoof ball, I've always said about him putting the ball into channels. In the 8th minute today, he kicked the put the ball, which looked like a hoof, right to Straker. Maybe it's just the way it looks when he does it, but he does direct the ball very well

Back