• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Whoo Hoo I've just got home from a nice evening here in Perth, the cricket team even managed a win and now to top it off Lee Barnard has returned until the end of the season!!!!

I was at Roots Hall on a cold January evening when he scored his first goal for Southend, against Leeds.

I'm really confident that we'll go up automatically now!! and we'll win the FA Cup :dim:

That came a bit left of field.

Our 3 best strikers of the last 10 years all under one roof, just need Wayne Gray back here as well now.

I think I may have to bust out the 09/10 shirt tonight to invoke memories of THAT hat-trick vs Orient. :Worthy:

Fantastic news - he is natural goalscorer.

We need to remain realistic though. Everyone now seems to think we will get promoted automatically!
This is such a tough league, and teams like Oxford, Fleetwood, Chesterfield, Scunthorpe, Rochdale and Burton all have very decent squads. If we can keep the team-spirit and fight that we have shown in the first half of the season I'm sure we'll have a fantastic second half.

UTB - what fantastic news on a Friday afternoon with an FA cup 4th round match tomorrow! :happy::happy::happy:

Whoo Hoo I've just got home from a nice evening here in Perth, the cricket team even managed a win and now to top it off Lee Barnard has returned until the end of the season!!!!

I was at Roots Hall on a cold January evening when he scored his first goal for Southend, against Leeds.

I'm really confident that we'll go up automatically now!! and we'll win the FA Cup :dim:

And I was at Roots Hall on a cold September night when he scored his last goal for Southend......... also against Leeds.

Not sure if this has been seen but has scored on his debut for his previous two loans.

Welcome back Lee and hope to see you score three tomorrow.

Can't believe he is already 29 only feels like yesterday that he was still in Spurs reserves. Coming into his prime now he needs to start bagging a few more goals and playing some more games to really make his career worthwhile! Hasn't had many full seasons away from us.

You sure? He left in January.

Indeed. Lee's last goal for Southend was Boxing Day 2009 in the defeat to Colchester. The game that Barna references in September vs Leeds not only did Barnard not score but no one scored. It was a 0-0.

#barnabluegetsitwrongagain

Since 2003/4 here is our top 10 goalscorers:

1. Freddy Eastwood 76
2. Mark Gower 41
3. Barry Corr 41
4. Lee Barnard 37
5. Adam Barrett 29
6. Leon Constantine 25 (ALL IN ONE SEASON)
7. Ryan Hall 23
8. Wayne Gray 22
9. Alan McCormack 19
10. Bilel Mohsni 18

All I'll say is bring back Mark Gower and we are all set.

So 1, 2 and 4 are all back.

FYI we also have Hurst (16), Phillips (11) & Leonard (8) on our books as well. Hurst needs another 3 goals to be in the top ten from last ten years.

The squad looks to have goals written all over them.

Indeed. Lee's last goal for Southend was Boxing Day 2009 in the defeat to Colchester. The game that Barna references in September vs Leeds not only did Barnard not score but no one scored. It was a 0-0.

#barnabluegetsitwrongagain

Sorry to burst your bubble but Lee's last goal for Southend was two days later at Leyton Orient.

Not according to Soccerbase. Barrett and McCormack were the scorers. I do remember a couple of goals for him at Brisbane Road though.

Barnard was probably the most natural finisher at the club for years and never panicked in 1 on 1 situations. At this level that is invaluable, because, although not quick in the legs, he has a very quick mind and against most defenders in this league he will be a yard quicker and find himself in quite a few 1 on 1's as the season progresses.

We have seen with Woodrow that he has the knack of getting in those positions, but as yet doesn't have that experience (and I think a lot of people forget he is still only just 19) to take the chance. Substitute Barnard into that position and 9/10 will end in a goal. In the end this could also help out Woodrow when we need him as the season gets to the important stage.

This is a great signing from someone at the club and quite frankly it doesn't really matter who made it as I am sure Brown will be chuffed to bits at having a player of Barnard's goal scoring ability and experience added to the squad. Name me a better more experienced striker we realistically would have had the chance to get...? The answer is most probably, no one!

Not sure what shape he's in at the moment. According to the Saints' web-site he's appeared twice this season for their u21 team*, scoring once.

*Is that what counts as a reserve team in the Prem now?

His style of play would be a good fit if fit!

Not sure what shape he's in at the moment. According to the Saints' web-site he's appeared twice this season for their u21 team*, scoring once.

*Is that what counts as a reserve team in the Prem now?

His style of play would be a good fit if fit!

Yeah that's exactly what it is. He's been playing as an overage player. I'm pretty sure that he has played more than twice because I've kept half an eye on what has been happening with him, but maybe not.

He did well in his loan spells last season so he should be able to contribute when he gets his match-fitness back.

Back