• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I was thinking of asking this question recently, given this thread has appeared I'll throw this out there.. The 'new stadium' was designed probably 7 years ago now. From what I remember it was well received, but given 7 years have passed, do you still like the design ? Is it still modern?

I'd like to think it's been designed for a longer period

Yes it was sold to one of Ron's companies (Roots Hall Limited IIRC) although we haven't been charged rent for years.

My understanding is that rent has been charged, it just hasn't been collected or enforced.

Other than the paper debts to Ron that will never be paid anywhere near in full, I actually think the club would be in a reasonable financial position if the new ground is ever built - mainly because our credit rating is so bad no-one in the right mind would lend us money so we can't be that burdened with debt!

The bit I don't understand is why people think southend will get any portion of the non football related revenue. Has this been promised at any time? The new stadium will be owned by one of Ron's companies so southend will just be tenants won't they?

As tenants we would have exclusive possession.

I think we may have forgotten the detail as the months have rolled by
The reason why the three sides and fourth side/ hotel are separate is that they will be funded separately
three sides comes first and funded by sainsbury
Side 4 is funded by the hotel developer ( whoever that ends up being)
So it's not really a question of the club raising money rather than finding the hotel company to go forward with. To that end the improving economic situation and announcements re more routes from Southend Airport helps- I have seen nothing about how finding the hotelier is going (but suggest it will be much easier once the project starts and the proposition becomes real and imminent).

Well, I can see some early buds on some branches and I have some blue tits investigating my bird boxes already. Can't help but think it might not be Spring 2014 (and remember that could be any time from March through to May ..... or June?) but surely Ron with all his experience of missing past deadlines would not go on radio and commit the same error again, would he? :unsure:

This is a fair point. He has stopped providing information because no matter what it was, no-one believed it. He doesn't have to say anything at all and so the fact that he has is telling in my opinion.

And for Csboy, whilst what you say is true, I don't think it can be classed as a failure and he hasn't lost control of the finances. He has only spent what money we have, and there is some collateral damage that went hand in hand with that policy, i.e. players not paid and relegation. It's unfortunate and nothing more. Without him, I shudder to think where we would be because it certainly wouldn't be in this league.

said in the interview that the tender process is done, asked my Dad about this (works at a shopfitting/joinery company) and this means that the contractors to do the work have been chosen (in case anyone didn't know)... so maybe he could be telling the truth this time (runs and puts tin hat on) :blush:
one of the posters on here , and annoyingly I can't recall his user name, works for a company that builds football stadiums. It would be interesting to have his view. He has in the past to explain the process, and time frame and therefore 'prove' that certain dates would be impossible to meet. I.e in the past he has spoken to the main companies to tender for this sort of business and they hadn't received a pack from the club requesting a tender thus proving any 'on site by xxx' was at best hopefull

This is a fair point. He has stopped providing information because no matter what it was, no-one believed it. He doesn't have to say anything at all and so the fact that he has is telling in my opinion.

And for Csboy, whilst what you say is true, I don't think it can be classed as a failure and he hasn't lost control of the finances. He has only spent what money we have, and there is some collateral damage that went hand in hand with that policy, i.e. players not paid and relegation. It's unfortunate and nothing more. Without him, I shudder to think where we would be because it certainly wouldn't be in this league.

If Ron hadn't been here someone else would have.

Where Ron has failed is to commit us to a stadium move that he didn't have the means to deliver thus dragging us into deep financial mire for the last few years.

Even if diggers are on site there's no confidence we will get a complete stadium.

If he delivers a 4 sided stadium Id give him plenty of credit and put down all of our woes since 2010 down to having to break eggs to make an omelette but for now I cant see how he can be praised for what has happened.

one of the posters on here , and annoyingly I can't recall his user name, works for a company that builds football stadiums. It would be interesting to have his view. He has in the past to explain the process, and time frame and therefore 'prove' that certain dates would be impossible to meet. I.e in the past he has spoken to the main companies to tender for this sort of business and they hadn't received a pack from the club requesting a tender thus proving any 'on site by xxx' was at best hopefull

That's Sherif, worked extensively on Col U's ground, IIRC.

Ooops. A strangely similar point of view to mine.

Are you my long lost 4' 3" pigmy twin brother with albino eyes, a ginger pony tail and webbed feet?

Without him, I shudder to think where we would be because it certainly wouldn't be in this league.

I cant imagine who else would of stepped in with actual finances to take the club forward, with RH valued at 35 mill at the start, we are left with a petty promise of a 3 sided stadium and Neverland...yeah I get your point how he has hocked the ground to the highest bidder to keep himself alive( He has to keep the Club alive to fulfil this)..What is left, near on nothing but promises we have all heard time on time for years... yeah I think we will get a new part stadium , the man has no choice, but for the life of me do not think this deal was ever for the sake of saving SUFC. It was a planned programme to make him rich that fell on it's arse through greed.

I cant imagine who else would of stepped in with actual finances to take the club forward, with RH valued at 35 mill at the start, we are left with a petty promise of a 3 sided stadium and Neverland...yeah I get your point how he has hocked the ground to the highest bidder to keep himself alive( He has to keep the Club alive to fulfil this)..What is left, near on nothing but promises we have all heard time on time for years... yeah I think we will get a new part stadium , the man has no choice, but for the life of me do not think this deal was ever for the sake of saving SUFC. It was a planned programme to make him rich that fell on it's arse through greed.

Get off the fence man and say what you really think about Lord Ronald the Martin of Southend Manor. :whistling:

You know what mate, when I typed this I thought to myself "If Cricko was about he'd have a pink fit at this" and as if by magic...

My "Lure Cricko back to SZ Posting" ruse worked a treat then. Hope things are good with you John.

Seriously though, of course it was to line his own pockets, as is the case with the vast majority of football club owners. And if it hadn't been RM, then yes, maybe someone else would have been there who maybe had more dosh. Or maybe they wouldn't have had the same tenacity and doggedness to hang on in there and dropped us like a stone. After all, Uncle Vic saved the club in it's darkest hour and he isn't exactly remembered fondly by the fans either. Without either of these two guys, we would have only had a different name to hate.

But we are where we are and life is a lot more promising now than 12 months ago.

I bumped into Ron Martin last night as I was walking into the stadium last night. As I passed him I tapped him on the shoulder and I said to him "Looking forward to Spring Ron" to which he seemed puzzled. As I continued my walk across the car park, my comment seemed to click with Ron and he smiled and chuckled "Which year".

Now I am sure the cynics amongst us may think that he was taking the p**s however for me I am hoping that a cheeky comment like that would signify confidence and maybe some truth in the recent statement of intent.

Fingers crossed it's this year Ron, god knows it has to be!!!!

That's Sherif, worked extensively on Col U's ground, IIRC.

Who, incidentally, treated me with respect and not the contempt I seem to be faced with each time I offer my services to Southend United...a Club I have loved for 20 odd years!

My personal opinion, for what its worth, is that it would be physically impossible to get on site for Spring, bearing in mind I believe we have re-submitted planning yet again, and the stadium design has probably changed extensively since the initial cgi's from Populous were released.
The problem I have is that whatever I may or may not know at present, I don't know actually know which moles may patrol this board from the Club, so there is really very little I can say without putting any potential future relationship with RM/SK at jeopardy.

Despite the ignorance shown to date, my offer of free advice/costings/alternative designs to the Club will stand indefinitely - I just want to see us deliver something our Supporters and the Town can be proud of for many years to come, and which doesn't break the already seemingly broken bank...

Who, incidentally, treated me with respect and not the contempt I seem to be faced with each time I offer my services to Southend United...a Club I have loved for 20 odd years!

My personal opinion, for what its worth, is that it would be physically impossible to get on site for Spring, bearing in mind I believe we have re-submitted planning yet again, and the stadium design has probably changed extensively since the initial cgi's from Populous were released.
The problem I have is that whatever I may or may not know at present, I don't know actually know which moles may patrol this board from the Club, so there is really very little I can say without putting any potential future relationship with RM/SK at jeopardy.

Despite the ignorance shown to date, my offer of free advice/costings/alternative designs to the Club will stand indefinitely - I just want to see us deliver something our Supporters and the Town can be proud of for many years to come, and which doesn't break the already seemingly broken bank...

Spoken like a true fan Sherif H, glad my club treated you well whilst you worked there.

I think that has something to do with when you worked on ColU's ground your brilliant idea of putting a sandpit in the Southend penalty area.

I think that has something to do with when you worked on ColU's ground your brilliant idea of putting a sandpit in the Southend penalty area.

As a Contracts Manager, I'm not certain I can take any responsibility for a boggy pitch which appeared after a deluge!

You know what mate, when I typed this I thought to myself "If Cricko was about he'd have a pink fit at this" and as if by magic...

My "Lure Cricko back to SZ Posting" ruse worked a treat then. Hope things are good with you John.

Seriously though, of course it was to line his own pockets, as is the case with the vast majority of football club owners. And if it hadn't been RM, then yes, maybe someone else would have been there who maybe had more dosh. Or maybe they wouldn't have had the same tenacity and doggedness to hang on in there and dropped us like a stone. After all, Uncle Vic saved the club in it's darkest hour and he isn't exactly remembered fondly by the fans either. Without either of these two guys, we would have only had a different name to hate.

But we are where we are and life is a lot more promising now than 12 months ago.

Good thank you Mark..the swords cross once more ;) Funny enough I never hated Vic.. he was a gent at times, as crooked as F*** but we all knew that and he didn't hide it...With RM I just think he is cu** of the highest order and tries to portray an honesty to fans that does not exist.He has taken more from this club more than anybody and always states it is the best for the club in the long run....******** with SUFC RM would of been skint years ago..he is a player who uses Ponzi schemes to keep himself going on the back of RH once owed by the true people....The Fans.

Back