• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cant understand why Woodrow is getting on ahead of Eastwood? Who is more likely to score a goal?

I don't rate Woody at this level and fear Fred has become nothing more than a bit player mainly due to his injured knee,Woodrow may or may not make the grade but ATM he just can't hack it.

All sounded pretty flat from where I was sitting (at home listening to BP) last night and from what I heard a draw was probably a fair result. As I wasn't there I frame my 'observations' in terms of questions rather than statements. The supply of crosses last night sounded less effective than usual and both Straker and Corr appeared to have off nights......this seems to happen more regularly with the former. This leads me to ask whether, contrary to majority opinion, we do need to bolster our midfield with a wide, quick player to provide competition for Straker, who doesn't always seem to fire on all cylinders? I think that not many people would disagree with the substitution of Corr but ironically, there sounded a chance, very close to the end when , was it Woodrow? failed to get his head on one of the better crosses of the night and I thought to myself .........if it had been Corr in that position????
Don't envy PB his selection headache for Friday night, which will probably have to be made on tiredness rather than form of his players. Perhaps the bad weather will help us out with a postponement? The situation with Barnard is 'catch 22' if you play him, he may well be slow and off the pace......but if you don't play him, he's never going to get back to match fitness.

In hindsight I reckon that PB will look back and think that he should have freshened things up ahead of last night, now with Friday's 3pts even more important, he has to make a few changes imho

Despite having the majority of the possession first half, we lacked that final ball and bit of quality in and around the area, especially a certain Mr Straker. Lenny had a great run and lacked that final finish but is was a very huff and puff like performance first half.

The defence looks ok, maybe a few question marks over Phillips legs (3 games in six days) and Thompson as a regular starter but for me it's in midfield and up top were we need to freshen up.....the good thing is despite PB working under an Embargo he still has strength in depth.

Atkinson would be my first man to give way, despite his energy levels he lacks that bit of quality and last night he wouldn't have been able to trap a bag of cement. Maybe a rest in favour of Marc Laird would work, the difference in Lairds passing skills could be an advantage - I just fear that PB would opt for Clifford ahead of Laird!!!

My second change would be Straker, not a witch hunt but just my preference. He is hot and cold but for me is too cold too often, maybe resting him can see a change of formation if need be.

Corr would be my final change, the guy is running on empty and actually deserves a rest. Throw in Barnard and Freddy which is a mouth watering prospect and have Corr in reserve should we need to change it up!!! Woodrow is a no no for me.

Back to the game and a draw was a fair result in the end, another point gained and another game unbeaten in the league. The fans have been great of late both at home and away and there is a real togetherness forging at the club.

Up the Blues!!!

The situation with Barnard is 'catch 22' if you play him said:
don't [/I]play him, he's never going to get back to match fitness.

But surely this is the same for Freddy too??

But surely this is the same for Freddy too??
In some respect, yes, but Freddy does have a well publicised 'situation' with his knee and presumably you have to leave it to PB to decide if and when we use him. With Barnard, he must have recovered from his ankle surgery (he did have a medical before signing......I imagine there was more to that than peeing in a bottle and reading some letters on a chart?!) so it's just a question of his rustiness. The problem for PB is that there is so much pressure from all quarters for results that it must be difficult to afford the time and luxury to 'ease' someone back into match fitness.....one can bemoan the absence of reserve football............perhaps another rapidly arranged 'closed door' friendly?

We will always struggle if the midfield is so much as a notch below on song. Our attackers lacks pace and are dependent on the mids flying up. Our defence also struggles against pace and again is reliant on the covering mids.

The majority of our success this season is based on industry and the weekend game against 'ull would have taken its toll on the physical and mental elements of our players and a tweak/freshen up may have paid dividends last night.

It was still a point won, the unbeaten league run continues and the team are well placed. At this point in the season it may just require more use of the squad as a whole.

I think Thompson deserves a lot more credit than people are giving him for dealing with Zavon Hines, who has to be one of the most annoying little pricks I've ever seen on a football pitch! Loved it when Lenny tipped him up over the sideline late on in the 2nd half!

Fantastic support, as usual at Dagenham, shame about the mix up by their officials, not letting some of us in the supporters' bar but telling us to go round to the away end when it wasn't open. Get your act together when you've got a bit away support please. And no shepherds pies unfortunately :sad:

Bentley - 7, did ok, ball was skidding about on the surface and he coped with it fairly well
Thompson - 7, did alright considering he had Hines to deal with
Phillips - 6, he's not our POTY of a couple of seasons ago but dealt with things reasonably well
Prosser - 7, yet another head injury, not sure how much more he can take!
Coker - 7, worked hard and gave options
Hurst - 6, didn't do terribly much apart from the goal
Timlin - 6, a quiet game for Tims, that long range shot apart
Leonard - 8, MOTM....again. Just never stops, strong, committed and getting forward lots
Atkinson - 7, did some great things, couple of really important defensive challenges in particular, under-rated by some
Straker - 5, he's related to JCR isn't he? Some absolutely brilliant stuff followed by some absolutely dire....and last night there was a higher percentage of dire. Thought he should have been booked for grabbing the ball when he was laying down
Corr - 6, poor game, but must be dead on his feet. Looked to be running through treacle. Time for a rest, at least dropping to the bench.

Subs:
Woodrow and Barnard for Timlin and Corr - 7 for Cauley, 6 for Barney who I hardly remember touching the ball. Cauley put himself about a bit and showed a lot of energy which we badly needed at that stage
Clifford for Straker - 7, did more in his short appearance than some had done all match. Great free kick, very unlucky. Would like to see him feature more on Friday night

Officials - have definitely seen worse, just was extremely frustrated at the constant mugging off by Hines which the ref bought every time. Thought we had one decent penalty shout, and there were a couple of handballs I thought, that weren't given.

I really don't rate Thompson. Granted he was good against Hull, his best match by some margin, but last night he was poor. At half time a friend commented that they will have seen this and would swap Hines for the second half, and thats exactly what they did. Hines had far more joy vs Thomson than he did vs Coker, and Coker also offers something going forward where as Thomson offers little

I really don't rate Thompson. Granted he was good against Hull, his best match by some margin, but last night he was poor. At half time a friend commented that they will have seen this and would swap Hines for the second half, and thats exactly what they did. Hines had far more joy vs Thomson than he did vs Coker, and Coker also offers something going forward where as Thomson offers little

Yes , he did ok against Hull , but would add :
Apart from 'diving in' wildly , which gave Fryatt an easier passage to goal for their opener..............

How they didn't score at the end is beyond me. Last ditch defending saved us! Take the point.

If we'd shot when we had the chances to then maybe but we seemed very reluctant to pull the trigger, very frustrating.
Ditto. Exactly why I believe we won't be able to challenge for the autos. We are far too soft for League 2 still IMHO. Every side we face is cynical, physical, brutal and, sides like Scunthorpe are simply more clinical in the final third. Some of our dithering and decision making in the final third this season has had me spitting feathers.

We did well to get a point IMHO...made a very average side look much more threatening than we should have.

I will take the bait,It's my opinion that is all and yes I fully understand some on here think Corr is the greatest but I don't.

Fully entitled to your opinion, but I just can't see how you think Corr "can't hold the ball up" when about 95% of the time he gets the ball he controls it, plays it back to a midfielder and starts an attack.

Quote from the Daggers forum, and I make this chap absolutely spot on...

Southend come at a time when we have played Chesterfield, Fleetwood and Scunthorpe all in a month and although they looked the better team tonight they look a long way behind the other three and once again looked tonight like a team that does not know how to score.

Back