• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
Just as we have an opportunity to make up for a sub-standard performance away at Newport, tomorrow's referee also has the chance to make up for a sub-standard performance in his last match at Roots Hall when Newport make their first visit to Roots Hall for a League match in 30 years.

Man in charge is James Linington from Newport*. He is a highly rated referee in his sixth year having previously been a Select Group Assistant Referee and is being touted as a possibility to make it right to the top.

He has nearly always looked pretty decent or better when I have seen him referee (which includes the Dagenham play-off final at Wembley) and will allow the game to flow if given the opportunity.

The exception was his last visit to Roots Hall against Dagenham & Redbridge in the League when Phillips was dismissed (on the say so of an Assistant Referee) with a couple of yellows for us and one for them. Even though he was way short of his usual standard and somewhat inconsistent, I didn't think he was quite as terrible as was made out. The appeal against the Phillips dismissal was unsuccessful. (He has refereed Dagenham again since then and, this time, sent off one of their players - perhaps he was feeling guilty!)

He has refereed Southend just four times before. Firstly the 3-0 home win against Carlisle in 2008/9 and then the following season's 1-1 draw at Wycombe. For Southend he only cautioned Grant and Macca respectively in those two matches. Then more recently, last March, he was in charge of our wretched performance when we lost 2-0 at home to Plymouth. Finally, that Dagenham game.

His card count is just slightly above average this season with 72 yellows and 5 reds from 22 games, including a good number of Championship appointments.

The rest of the team have short Friday afternoon journeys. Assistants are Darren Blunden from Dartford and Matt Foley from London with 4th Official duties being undertaken by Gary Jerden from Orsett.

* This is, of course, Newport, Isle of Wight.

What a frustrating refereeing performance! He used the advantage superbly last night, bringing play back when advantage didn't materialise, and also quite rightly not bringing it back when we had an advantage but fluffed it.

So clearly a talented referee with a good eye for the flow of the game. Therefore why did he neglect to deal with Newports game spoiling tactics? Numerous time wasting instances at throw ins, and I lost count of the number of times their #14 deliberately prevented us from taking a quick free kick, which was clearly a tactic we like to use.

I hope he got a grilling at the end, because although the conditions were the biggest ge spoiler, his allowing of Newports spoiling tactics came in a very close second IMHO.

What a frustrating refereeing performance! He used the advantage superbly last night, bringing play back when advantage didn't materialise, and also quite rightly not bringing it back when we had an advantage but fluffed it.

So clearly a talented referee with a good eye for the flow of the game. Therefore why did he neglect to deal with Newports game spoiling tactics? Numerous time wasting instances at throw ins, and I lost count of the number of times their #14 deliberately prevented us from taking a quick free kick, which was clearly a tactic we like to use.

I hope he got a grilling at the end, because although the conditions were the biggest ge spoiler, his allowing of Newports spoiling tactics came in a very close second IMHO.

It's odd because during their second long throw of the day I heard the ref shout "get on with it" or something along those lines, I also heard a Lino tell one of them to hurry up...so obviously I thought at that point they weren't going to have any of it...but after that the ref seemed to bottle it!

He was decent otherwise.

Come on our resident refs, your views on the time-wasting and how it was(n't) dealt with?

Come on our resident refs, your views on the time-wasting and how it was(n't) dealt with?

I go one about being "tested". The referee last night was tested by some quite appalling conditions. In those conditions, you can end up having a card flurry because it becomes so difficult to time tackles or even identify what is a foul and what is a tackle. He did that very well. He also used advantage as good as anyone I've seen all season. On that alone, I'd be saying good game.

The only real issues we had yesterday was the tactics Newport employed and some stuff that you could call "pedantry" (some of which was right, some of which went unpunished). The time wasting - Newport did it from the first minute, so one minute at the end of the first half, when we did have trainers on, wasn't enough (I said three). Four minutes at the end (I said five), and he actually played five. So essentially we are talking two minutes.

However, that said, if we had played those minutes, and another entire 90 minutes, I don't think either side would have mustered a goal between them.

I go one about being "tested". The referee last night was tested by some quite appalling conditions. In those conditions, you can end up having a card flurry because it becomes so difficult to time tackles or even identify what is a foul and what is a tackle. He did that very well. He also used advantage as good as anyone I've seen all season. On that alone, I'd be saying good game.

The only real issues we had yesterday was the tactics Newport employed and some stuff that you could call "pedantry" (some of which was right, some of which went unpunished). The time wasting - Newport did it from the first minute, so one minute at the end of the first half, when we did have trainers on, wasn't enough (I said three). Four minutes at the end (I said five), and he actually played five. So essentially we are talking two minutes.

However, that said, if we had played those minutes, and another entire 90 minutes, I don't think either side would have mustered a goal between them.

What is your view on Leonard being pushed to the floor in the last minute of the game in the penatly area? The Newport player placed 2 hands on Leonrad and physically pushed him over.

I thought from my vantage point, which was at top of Family West, that it was a penalty, and I took the unusual steps of shouting such at the referee. BUT... appeals from our players were half hearted, and that tends to suggest it probably wasn't.

I thought from my vantage point, which was at top of Family West, that it was a penalty, and I took the unusual steps of shouting such at the referee. BUT... appeals from our players were half hearted, and that tends to suggest it probably wasn't.

I meant what happened after the penalty appeal

I hope he got a grilling at the end, because although the conditions were the biggest spoiler, his allowing of Newports spoiling tactics came in a very close second IMHO.

A very good assessment, in my opinion. He did most things right but was guilty of omission of duty in a big way by not dealing with Newport's time wasting tactics; not just delaying every throw and goal-kick but also trying to engage him in conversation about decisions whenever possible.

One minute added in the first half was ludicrous.

Why would a referee do this? Conditions weren't great and although he seemed to be getting around the pitch okay, perhaps it suited him to see the game slowed down (it's much easier to referee if you get a 5 to 10 second break on every throw-in and longer on a goal-kick!). Not what should happen, of course. The game is for the benefit of the spectators not the referee.

What is your view on Leonard being pushed to the floor in the last minute of the game in the penatly area? The Newport player placed 2 hands on Leonrad and physically pushed him over.
Did anyone else see Phillips raise his hands against a Newport player after he was being held in the penalty box (2nd half)?

Not booking their player for taking a blatant dive in the first half was a joke, wondered if he had left his cards at home!!!

Thought the Newport player did Phillips a massive favour by not over acting , this is how it should be, a prem player would still be rolling about now !

Was I the only one who saw Barnard elbowed by the CB in the 2nd half. It happened right in front of the West Stand lino, who did absolutely nothing about it.

Back