• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Horrible, horrible tactics by a Newport team who came for a point and who were aided by a ref who would not punish them for their blatant time wasting from the word go.

Cold, miserable and boring. Although personally I felt they looked tired tonight. I thought the Conditions looked awful on the pitch and I am glad we are now football free till next Saturday

A fair result in a game that would have been best postponed.
The first half we shaded and could/should have scored from a BBBC header that came back off the post. Barney started and looked so much better than on Tuesday and him and Barry worked well together. 442 for those who like those stats.
2nd half and Strakes starts for Barry, I believe PB wanted to work the flanks and in truth it didn't happen and we looked tired in many areas.
soft pen to them which got hoofed for 2 pts but this wasn't egg chasing so their big opportunity wasted.
We tried to pass from the back and nearly came unstuck but Dan made 2/3 great saves.
Fred came on and showed strength and danger but had little support.
Whitey looked to be half injured but stuck it out.
CC came on for Tims.

We ran out of steam just like Tuesday.

Ref did ok but should have dealt with time wasting from the start ad some wrestling another day could have given us a pen.

marks; all 6/7 except Lennie and Dan who get 8.

What a cold,wet,miserable night.....Brilliant penalty though :hilarious:, as above our midfield looks so tired, Laird and Clifford surely due a run in the team now.
Tonight also highlighted too me how reliant we are on Hurst for attacking options, if he has an off game like tonight we seem woeful from an attacking midfield Pov. A genuine winger on the opposite side would have been nice in the window, tough tough conditions though and there is a massive gulf in class between the Newport cloggers and Southends ball playing team. Still positive although we need too start nicking wins out of these games.

Anyone know why Corr was subbed? Thought he'd played very well first half and had been vital in defence (God, we missed Prosser!). Would have liked to see Fred and Barney on for 10 mins together. Straker not the right sub when he came on, completely unbalanced the side.

Heart was in my mouth every time White went down, seemed to hold his shoulder each time he got up and feared we wouldn't see him come back out after half time.

Bentley - 7, coped well in difficult conditions, think he had the penalty covered anyway
White - 7, we've missed his influence down the wings
Thompson - 6, did ok, coped alright with Rene Howe but seems reluctant to try and make any last ditch challenges, which is always necessary when you're playing alongside Phillips at the moment!
Phillips - 5, oh dear, where has our former POTY gone? Shadow of himself, almost a liability at times
Coker - 7, great game, linked really well with Atkinson in 1st half
Hurst - 6, had his moments but corners were poor
Timlin - 7, spread the ball around well, am not liking the fact he so often seems to be subbed though
Leonard - 7.5, definite contender for MOTM, bit quieter than he has been but still saw him powering forward well. Thought that was a good penalty shout towards the end
Atkinson - 8, my MOTM, didn't stop all match, very under-rated player
Barnard - 7, looked sharp and strong, against other opponents I think him and Corr would have done some damage
Corr - 7, did well in difficult conditions. Key figure in defence at times

Subs:
Straker for Corr - 5, just don't get it. 1 exceptional game to every 4 poor or mediocre ones. Not good enough
Eastwood for Barnard - 6.5, gave them some grief, made life difficult
Clifford for Timlin - 6.5, unlucky not to score, got in there and gave the midfield back some bite

Officials:
I liked the way the ref pulled the advantage back, and I thought the linos were good enough but I was just so frustrated by the time wasting and some of the bully boy tactics employed by Newport players. Early cards might have knocked it on the head.

Newport looked a poor side, cant believe they beat us so comfortably earlier in the season.
Ref was far to free and easy and gave us the bare minimum.
Justice was rewarded with their ballooning penalty miss as was never a pen.
Would have liked to have seen Freddy & Barney start as both looked lively, as on Tuesday Barry Corr looked tired which is understandable, but he was not alone.
But hey ho, another point and our unbeaten League run continues.
Was great to see Barney back so I am happy :happy:

Haha Roxy, thought you would be happy with him returning :smile:

Thought we were ok today, nothing more nothing less.
Hursty v quiet and as someone mentioned that somewhat stifled out attacking options.

I thought Freddy looked like he had regained some of his spark today, although not on long enough to really make an impact.

No arguments with the pen, but my oh my, for a second I thought I see Jason puncheon in a Newport kit! :hilarious:

If it was a pen (given by Lino) then should it not have been a red card? The ref doubted it so didn't even give a yellow.

Performance wise, Bentley, Coker, white, Leonard, atko and Eastwood 7. The rest 6 or 5. Straker no rating, just "bad night at the races"

If it was a pen (given by Lino) then should it not have been a red card? The ref doubted it so didn't even give a yellow.

Performance wise, Bentley, Coker, white, Leonard, atko and Eastwood 7. The rest 6 or 5. Straker no rating, just "bad night at the races"

Never a clear goal scoring opportunity IMO. Ref looked like he never wanted to give any cards out, but had to give one in the end.

Agree with those ratings, Bentley had barely anything to do but still looked comfortable. At least Straker tried to run at the full back, but the pitch was against him and didn't go his way.

As for Newport, they are the typical League 2 side just filled with big guys. In fact, several of their players looked like they were carrying a fair amount of weight with Rene Howe and their number 8 leading the way.

My view was we "won" the first half with 442 and lost the 2nd with 451.
On a pitch with little run there was small chances of anyone getting a charge on and it showed, Strakes and Hurst tried to take on their full backs and lot the ball most times.
I would rather we used our 3 main strikers better & played with 2 on the pitch; they are all experienced pros and I think any pairings would work.
Tims, Atko and Lennie are great in midfield but all three will be better after a week of rest/recovery and some training ground play. UTB! On to double over the Stags.

Frustrating game. Newport were so poor, time wasting from the off, time we didn't get back at all. Horrible miss from the penalty and they better not sneak up.
We played some good stuff at times but it was much like the Hull game where we didn't take our chances and looked wasteful in the final third. Thought the midfielders did very well seeing the amount of game time they have had recently.

Bentley 6.5 Did all that was needed.

White 6.5 As above.
Thompson 6.5 Pretty wasteful with distribution early in the second half but solid. Decent signing.
Phillips 6.5 Not to bad, didn't have a good sight of the penalty incident but that has been coming anyway.
Coker 7 Good outlet in the first half but didn't have enough support out wide.

Hurst 5.5 Really quiet game, crosses often didn't work.
Leonard 7.5 Really strong in midfield, good work when he somehow got out of a dead end in the corner.
Timlin 7 Worked well with Leonard in the middle.
Atkinson 7 Worked very hard and good on the ball. Drifted into the middle too much when we really needed someone out wide.

Barnard 6.5 Some decent moments but I really didn't notice him much.
Corr 6.5 Same as above

Straker 6 Right decision by Brown to bring him on but he didn't have the quality today. Didn't provide the needed width.
Eastwood 7.5 Best player on the pitch when he came on, strong and pulled the team together.
Clifford 6 Didn't get much time.

Last edited:
Freddy Eastwood was brilliant when he came on. Overall a terrible game made terrible by Newport and their shocking style of play. They did the same at Rodney Parade but we had a make shift defence which they exploited. Also I forgot how much of a fat **** Rene Howe is I'm so glad we didn't sign him. Worst penalty ever by Jeffers karma for being a **** earlier on in the game. The pitch was bad but I think we played well and kept the ball on the floor nicely.

We could of still been playing by now and it would still be 0-0.

Straker 6 Right decision by Brown to bring him on but he didn't have the quality today. Didn't provide the needed width.

I'd love to know why you think that....for me it was totally the wrong decision and what cost us in upsetting the balance of the team. Atkinson had been doing fine down the left wing in the 1st half.

Newport looked a poor side, cant believe they beat us so comfortably earlier in the season.
Ref was far to free and easy and gave us the bare minimum.
Justice was rewarded with their ballooning penalty miss as was never a pen.
Would have liked to have seen Freddy & Barney start as both looked lively, as on Tuesday Barry Corr looked tired which is understandable, but he was not alone.
But hey ho, another point and our unbeaten League run continues.
Was great to see Barney back so I am happy :happy:

Bit harsh...poor side...good enough to p*ss all over your boys not so very long ago.
What you should be mindful of is that Newport have just come up for the conference and are finding their feet as a newcomer to the FL.
Also let me supply a few facts ref this "poor" side:
1. We have not paid a single penny for any player except Jolley who came to us last year for the princely sum of £30,000.
2. Top scorer from last yr (Aaron O'Connor injured entire season and still out).
3. Top scorer this season (Chris Zebrowski injured and out for past 4 mths and still out).
4. Best forward ( Connah Washington sold to Peterborough days ago)...destroyed your boys at our place.
5. Captain broke his leg in our victory at Brighton in League cup ...first time on bench this evening.
6. Only money signing (Jolley) been out for much of the season.
7. Max Porter out injured for whole of last season and only returned to bench last game and tonight.
8. Centre back tonight,Andy Sandell out all season until three games ago. Key player last Season.
9.Your usual injuries to most of the squad to contend with on top of the serious long term injuries to the key players mentioned above...too many to list here.
10. Last 4 home games postponed because of wet weather. Halted any momentum built before Xmas. Those of you who travelled to Rodney Parade would testify that Newport was quite different to the side you now call poor...they put on a great attacking display ...ask around.

On a positive note for us...some of our key players are returning to the bench...but both of our main strikers are still out. Pretty soon they too will be back(few weeks)...and be warned...out of the 20 games to play ...we have 13 at home and just 7 on the road. Pretty sure , if our strikers return,as anticipated we will be in the mix with Sarfend.

Oh...and incidentally, I reckon Sarfend are a more than useful side,with a good mgr...and will definitely be in play offs or possibly in the automatic places come the end of the season.

Good luck.

Bit harsh...poor side...good enough to p*ss all over your boys not so very long ago.
What you should be mindful of is that Newport have just come up for the conference and are finding their feet as a newcomer to the FL.
1. We have not paid a single penny for any player except Jolley who came to us last year for the princely sum of £30,000.
2. Top scorer from last yr (Aaron O'Connor injured entire season and still out).
3. Top scorer this season (Chris Zebrowski injured and out for past 4 mths and still out).
4. Best forward ( Connah Washington sold to Peterborough days ago)...destroyed your boys at our place.
5. Captain broke his leg in our victory at Brighton in League cup ...first time on bench this evening.
7. Max Porter out injured for whole of last season and only returned to bench last game and tonight.
8. Centre back tonight,Andy Sandell out all season until three games ago. Key player last Season.
9.Your usual injuries to most of the squad to contend with on top of the serious long term injuries to the key players mentioned above...too many to list here.
10. Last 4 home games postponed because of wet weather. Halted any momentum built before Xmas. Those of you who travelled to Rodney Parade would testify that Newport was quite different to the side you now call poor...they put on a great attacking display ...ask around.

On a positive note for us...some of our key players are returning to the bench...but both of our main strikers are still out. Pretty soon they too will be back(few weeks)...and be warned...out of the 20 games to play ...we have 13 at home and just 7 on the road. Pretty sure , if our strikers return,as anticipated we will be in the mix with Sarfend.

Oh...and incidentally, I reckon Sarfend are a more than useful side,with a good mgr...and will definitely be in play offs or possibly in the automatic places come the end of the season.

Good luck.

I was there and you hoofed it up and caught us out that's all as we had a poor defence line up. Hardly a great attacking display.

Good luck.

Thank you County, I remember Washington well, and was relieved he wasn't with you any more. I would be interested on your views on the time wasting and the fact that the ref let so much of it go with absolutely no punishment. 1 minute of added time in the first half was ridiculous. You have to remember that our boys have had no rest and have played while you haven't, on heavy pitches and in atrocious conditions which have clearly taken their toll. Our captain to my mind shouldn't have been out there tonight but we had little choice. Your manager will always be remembered fondly here at Southend, I was, frankly, surprised at the tactics he employed though tonight.

Back