• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rover John

Youth Team
After the last two games I think we now need to win all our games in Feb to have a chance of a top three finish.

Last edited:
Very unlikely to win them all, and doubt we need to. Need a good run with more wins but we have a lot of games against lower sides.

We are unbeaten in 8, only lost once in about 16.

Certainly need to start getting wins, and hopefully more will come now.

From what I've heard listening to the past two games is that we've played badly. Luckily we've drawn these games and not lost them like we've done the past few seasons.

All the games in February look winnable. I think if we come away with four wins and a draw that would be fantastic and would set us up for a good finish to the season

It's a good thing that we're away next week, hopefully the weather gets better and the Roots Hall pitch has time to recover. We play better on a drier pitch rather than a mud bath.

Winning all our games in Feb would be nice but will be hard to achieve.If we keep picking up points like we have we will be right in the mix,Still a long way to go and this league is very tight at the top.Lot of ups and downs for all teams to come yet.I have a lot of confidence in Phil Brown he and his management team are doing a brilliant job for us.

After the last two games I think we now need to win all our games in Feb to have a chance of a top three finish.

The top 3 are unlikely to win all of their games, all the teams at the top will drop points its very close at the moment and I think it could go down to the last few games.

Well today showed that 3rd place or even 2nd is still uo for grabs . With both fleetwood and Rochdale losing at home today just goes to show that the one point we picked up against a team that had only one thought in mind to get a point at all cost was better than nothing . So the promotiom places are still within reach .

As I've already stated a couple of times, the last two seasons have started to founder, not as some think, over the December/January period but in the month of February. In both 2011/12 and 2012/13 we had identical results in that month when we played six, won two, drew one and lost three, thus accruing 7 points from 6 games......hardly promotion form.
Initially, I thought we'd have to wait until March for an assessment of our promotion chances, as there were only three games previewed for February. With the addition of two re-arranged matches, the month has now become more important and we could also add in the 1st of March game against Wycombe, which gives us six games again. In my view our aim must be an average of 2 points a game (Chesterfield are now virtually on the button), this allows us to drop a few points short of that and still be pretty sure of automatic promotion. We are, at the moment 9 points adrift of that target.
In simple terms we need at least 12 points from the next six fixtures, that will certainly keep us in the mix for the top three places and anything additional would help us make up the deficit. This is not an impossible task but a very tough one. I'll leave you with some statistics to bear in mind when you consider how easy the next six games are.
In today's games only Wycombe failed completely, of the other five future opponents ALL got some result against teams higher than them in the league. York won at Fleetwood, whilst the other four ended up with draws. It's a salient fact that, in this year's League Two, any team can beat (or draw) with any other team on their day. On the positive side, that's a hard fact for our promotion rivals as well as for ourselves.......as a number of them found out today.

An interesting little addition that I've thought of which will explain in very simple terms as to where we stand as far as the likely chances of automatic promotion and how accurate the 2 points a game rule is. I mentioned above that we're 9 points adrift of that 2 points a game target so, if we carried on from now and achieved 36 points from our last 18 games, we would arrive at 83 points...........sounds familiar??? :smile: It wasn't quite enough to see us promoted in 2011/12 and Luggy can feel just a little unlucky, along with MK Dons in 2006/7, who found that 84 points wasn't sufficient either. They are the only two occasions, in League Two's short nine-year history, where that amount of points proved insufficient for automatic promotion
Therefore, even in an exceptional year, 85/86 points should be a nailed on top three place and it should, on average, be possible with a few points less. Come the final whistle at Wycombe we will have a far better idea of what this season possibly holds for us.

With 18 games remaining I think we need at least 33 points or more to figure in the top 3!,Feb will be diffulcult but not the end of the world if the boys do not achieve the max as you state.

In February we have to try and get three points more than the teams placed 3rd, 4th, 6th & 7th.

Rocket science - this aint!!

10 wins
6 draws
3 defeats

Form from last 19 games. 36 points, almost 2 points per game

3 wins
2 draws
4 defeats

Form from first 9 games of the season. 11 Points, just over 1 point a game.

I feel pretty confident of getting close to 2 points a game for the last 18 games of the season, given the form we have shown since the beginning of October.

Given the way the league is shaping up, I think mid-late 85-90 points will be enough to win it, and probably 80 will be enough for the top 3.

Personally, I believe we have to set our own targets (which I'm sure PB has done), rather than relying on others slipping up
.......which they may or may not do. From what I've seen/read Chesterfield, Scunthorpe and Fleetwood all have the strength and depth to put in a strong finish to the season.

The old adage-just take every game as it comes. Why set targets ? We're handily placed-just go for it. :-)

I'm more concerned about our last two fixtures of Fleetwood and Burton

Sorry I don't feel that confident at the moment that we will steam through February, perhaps the nerves are kicking in as we enter our fall away period. Pitches may still remain difficult and I wonder without re-enforcements whether we are showing signs ourselves of tension and tiredness. Certainly hope we can pick up a couple of real quality signings to boost the promotion push. I wonder what the stats are showing on our players ground coverage, Shooting boots have also disappeared as well as some tough luck hitting woodwork. Sometimes this season we have been slack against lower teams, so not convinced of easy run in February. As every Manager says "this game against a lower outfit struggling is a real tough one"

Back