• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Scottish Independence

Scottish independence - Yes or No?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
When Dave Smith returned to his home town to manage, he found he was not accepted because he was considered a Sassenach as he had spent his football career in England

There is no doubt there are a lot of Nats in Dundee. It had an SNP MP in Gordon Wilson for years and it had the highest YES vote in the referendum. I nearly put a bet on this and would have won but I never bet so it was nothing but a pipe dream. Dundee has the lowest employment rate in the UK a fact I put squarely at the door of Labour and the SNP. They have failed lamentably to help Dundee after the Jute industry collapse in the 1960/70s. I was actually beaten up in my first year as a student for being an English basta rd. However there are many many good people in the city. The problem is they are in a time warp of believing that the English colonised them which is an historical inaccuracy. Some believe that the English get out of bed and the first thing they think is "how can I shaft a Scotsman today". Crazy stuff. The problem is if you ask a Scot who the "auld enemy is" they will all know it is England. If you ask the same question to most English people (and I asked the question to work colleagues before I retired) they won't know what you're talking about.
Still judging from my contacts north of the border the worm is turning and the silent majority are not going to be silent so much.

There is no doubt there are a lot of Nats in Dundee. It had an SNP MP in Gordon Wilson for years and it had the highest YES vote in the referendum. I nearly put a bet on this and would have won but I never bet so it was nothing but a pipe dream. Dundee has the lowest employment rate in the UK a fact I put squarely at the door of Labour and the SNP. They have failed lamentably to help Dundee after the Jute industry collapse in the 1960/70s. I was actually beaten up in my first year as a student for being an English basta rd. However there are many many good people in the city. The problem is they are in a time warp of believing that the English colonised them which is an historical inaccuracy. Some believe that the English get out of bed and the first thing they think is "how can I shaft a Scotsman today". Crazy stuff. The problem is if you ask a Scot who the "auld enemy is" they will all know it is England. If you ask the same question to most English people (and I asked the question to work colleagues before I retired) they won't know what you're talking about.
Still judging from my contacts north of the border the worm is turning and the silent majority are not going to be silent so much.

I quite liked Dundee - of all the places in Scotland I felt more threatened in Falkirk, now that was anti-English. Glasgow was fine, and the only problem I had in the Highlands was with the Yanks on holiday.

I quite liked Dundee - of all the places in Scotland I felt more threatened in Falkirk, now that was anti-English. Glasgow was fine, and the only problem I had in the Highlands was with the Yanks on holiday.

Don't get me wrong. I love the city. My wife is the most wonderful person in the world. But its politics are insane.

Last edited:

We went to Falkirk last year and saw the Falkirk Wheel https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falkirk_Wheel and the Kelpies https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kelpies. Well worth the visit. Dundee is currently building a museum for the first V&A off shoot in the country and are using this for hopefully a regeneration of the city (a bit like a mini Bilboa). It's right next to Scot's ship the Discovery which as everyone knows was built in Dundee as they had experience in building whalers that could resist the ice. The whole city centre seems to be being rebuilt. Whether it will attrack visitors remains to be seen but we'll certainly be going there. http://www.vandadundee.org/about-us Here endeth the post from the Scottish Tourist Board.

The Scottish Parliament have just voted 69-59 in favour for a second referendum on independence before the UK leaves the EU.

Back