• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Are you aware that sometimes you just have to reply and have the last word even if you offer nothing constructive ?

Hey, that's my punch line
Happy%20Smilie%20aug%202010.gif

Absolutely Jam_Man, spot on. But a good scapegoat is exactly what certain factions of our...ahem...."support" crave. It's usually the same old protagonists with the same old tired posts, I don't think it's any surprise really - I bet wiggy will be the next to add his/her two pennies worth.....

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Barnard needs creativity around him - he's NOT a Freddy of old. What staggers me is that our fans already know this, it's not like Barnard wasn't here before! We have little or no creativity in this team other than Hurst (who is off form). Does anything more really need to be said? It's down to Brown to add more creative flair to the side, no-one else.

I do hope my replying doesnt offend anyone...

This totally.

Ive been saying for weeks that the issue we have is not a straight forward X is wrong so change it and we start winning (where X is Strikers/Bentley/Barnard).

The whole team is under performing and not getting anywhere near the levels we had before.

We could put Barnard in instead of Corr and he will suffer the same issues, playing with back to goal and unable to get in those positions, or we try 442 which we takes out one of the midfielders and also requires Hurst and Straker to sit deeper, which so far hasnt helped.

Barnard may well not have contributed since coming, nor improved anything, but the issues with the team are not down to him.

Gotcha ,

So Phil should build his team round Lee who may not even be here next season.

No we shouldn't, but he should sort the team performance out so either Barnard or whoever is playing (including Williams) gets better service and doesn't conceded two goals behind him.

Gotcha ,

So Phil should build his team round Lee who may not even be here next season.

Once again mrsblue you completely miss the point. The whole idea of bringing Barnard back was to strengthen the squad to hopefully help us out of this awful league. We know Barney's strengths and what made him such a vital player for us in the league above when he was here before, it appears Brown doesn't. I don't know how many times I have to say it but Barnard needs service, he's a finisher and not a creator of goals for himself - he never was but it seems some of us have conveniently forgotten this! Unless the creativity is addressed then neither Barnard nor any of our other strikers will get the goals needed to see us into the play-offs. It's that simple.

The flippant remark "let's build our team around a player who may not be here next season" is ridiculous, what would be the point of the loan system if teams chose not to play their loan signings? The strikers are NOT the issue here. For the record if we were to build our future team around anyone it should be Leonard.

I do hope my replying doesnt offend anyone...

This totally.

Ive been saying for weeks that the issue we have is not a straight forward X is wrong so change it and we start winning (where X is Strikers/Bentley/Barnard).

The whole team is under performing and not getting anywhere near the levels we had before.

We could put Barnard in instead of Corr and he will suffer the same issues, playing with back to goal and unable to get in those positions, or we try 442 which we takes out one of the midfielders and also requires Hurst and Straker to sit deeper, which so far hasnt helped.

Barnard may well not have contributed since coming, nor improved anything, but the issues with the team are not down to him.

No we shouldn't, but he should sort the team performance out so either Barnard or whoever is playing (including Williams) gets better service and doesn't conceded two goals behind him.

Quite simply Jam_Man if I was able to give you Fasto points I would, but I am currently unable to without "spreading them around" first. I can only imagine the reason for that is I must have given you green rep before as you appear to be one of those who talk the most sense on here. I can only agree with everything you've written, it's nice to know someone else is watching the same games as me.

P.S. I'd also like to add that by all accounts Barnard has been praised in friendly reserve games along with Eastwood and Jack Payne who he's been paired with in the front 3. Eastwood and Payne are both creative players.....I'll leave you to join the dots. Over to you Phil, address the service and we may still yet have a chance of promotion this season.

Once again mrsblue you completely miss the point. The whole idea of bringing Barnard back was to strengthen the squad to hopefully help us out of this awful league. We know Barney's strengths and what made him such a vital player for us in the league above when he was here before, it appears Brown doesn't. I don't know how many times I have to say it but Barnard needs service, he's a finisher and not a creator of goals for himself - he never was but it seems some of us have conveniently forgotten this! Unless the creativity is addressed then neither Barnard nor any of our other strikers will get the goals needed to see us into the play-offs. It's that simple.

The flippant remark "let's build our team around a player who may not be here next season" is ridiculous, what would be the point of the loan system if teams chose not to play their loan signings? For the record if we were to build our future team around anyone it should be Leonard.

Did Phil actually want him here?,If yes you then have to question why Phil has not given Lee the full 90 instead of cameos?

Assume Lee at he end of the season demands far too much in wages then what?He then goes to the highest bidder.

His performances thus far has been between embarrassing and mediocre add his fitness looks shabby.

You refer to Lee when he played here some time ago which in a player of his age can be a lifetime as a footballer.

Concur. The service to our forwards is abysmal. Corr works his socks off, but only ever receives balls at head or chest height. Equally Barnard has made some super runs into space only for our midfield to play the ball square. Small wonder then that they are both struggling to score. Our midfield are all decent players but for some reason they lack a killer pass. Laird showed how it should be done when he set up Timlin at Northampton. So perhaps Brown should consider reintroducing him into the side?

The flippant remark "let's build our team around a player who may not be here next season" is ridiculous, what would be the point of the loan system if teams chose not to play their loan signings? The strikers are NOT the issue here. For the record if we were to build our future team around anyone it should be Leonard.

Excellent point, Angell

previous post still think the same
How people can write off Barney is beyond me.Ok he might not be match fit this season ,but he's not even 30 yet ,and remember all his goals have come at a much higher level.If we cant figure a way to play him in this division to get him firing again .......something is very wrong
2008–2010Southend United75(37)
2010–Southampton62(23)
2012–2013→ Bournemouth (loan)15(4)
2013→ Oldham Athletic (loan)14(3)

Did Phil actually want him here?,If yes you then have to question why Phil has not given Lee the full 90 instead of cameos?

Assume Lee at he end of the season demands far too much in wages then what?He then goes to the highest bidder.

His performances thus far has been between embarrassing and mediocre add his fitness looks shabby.

You refer to Lee when he played here some time ago which in a player of his age can be a lifetime as a footballer.

I suggest you study closely the post below yours (AMOTU) as his comments are spot on. I can only assume you are one of those fans who equate the performance of a striker to how many goals they score. In a side who don't create chances it's nowhere near as simple as that. Has Corr been prolific this season? No but he's done a fine job in the role he's been asked to play and with the service he's been given. Is Barnard going to score goals playing the same role? No. Eastwood? No. Football is simple, be solid at the back and create chances going forward and you'll be successful. The main reason we are in the top 7 is because we had a superb defensive record up until 6 weeks ago, that meant that even with poor service we still had a chance to win most games (or pick up at least a point) with the odd goal. Since the defence capitulated after Prosser's injury (among others) that's no longer the case. With the service still the same (or arguably worse with certain key players now out of form) we were only ever going to slip one way - down!

Well for a start it can't be good for team morale when the other players see someone who is not performing still getting games. Would also enable us to bring in someone who is hungry and up for the fight.

How on Earth can you speak about what is or is not good for morale? For all you know the players like Barnard and seeing one of their colleagues, who isn't even starting all the matches, getting scapegoated could be worse for morale.

But I wouldn't know either way and neither do you.

Concur. The service to our forwards is abysmal. Corr works his socks off, but only ever receives balls at head or chest height. Equally Barnard has made some super runs into space only for our midfield to play the ball square. Small wonder then that they are both struggling to score. Our midfield are all decent players but for some reason they lack a killer pass. Laird showed how it should be done when he set up Timlin at Northampton. So perhaps Brown should consider reintroducing him into the side?

I cannot agree more with this post, excellent points. Corr has indeed run himself into the ground this season and Barnard's movement is excellent although pointless if he has no-one who has the vision or ability in the side to play an incisive through ball to pick him out. Laird is probably the closest we have to that player from central midfield as you rightly said, although Freddy and Payne have that in their locker from wider areas. Barnard would get a lot of goals at this level in most teams, sadly not this one in its current state. Oh for a Mike Marsh...... :sad:

How on Earth can you speak about what is or is not good for morale? For all you know the players like Barnard and seeing one of their colleagues, who isn't even starting all the matches, getting scapegoated could be worse for morale.

But I wouldn't know either way and neither do you.
For your information I happen to know someone who has worked with said player for a number of years. Wasted talent with an over inflated ego and a nasty streak apparently but hey you seem to know whether or not I know anything, funny isn't it, you never who you are replying to on a forum.

What really amazes me is how a player that has had little match time to prove himself is made a scapegoat by some and yet there are other players out there, Corr the best example whilst talking about strikers, that are very far from producing the goods. Corr appears to be an instant pick and although he has failed to live up to the fans tag of a '20 goal a season' man, all his fawning fans then justify his inclusion because he works hard.

The current failure of this side is the team being picked, IMHO, and that is something Brown has got to get right and then some of the players who appear to be playing poorly will start to look the player they really can be. Over to you PB.

What really amazes me is how a player that has had little match time to prove himself is made a scapegoat by some and yet there are other players out there, Corr the best example whilst talking about strikers, that are very far from producing the goods. Corr appears to be an instant pick and although he has failed to live up to the fans tag of a '20 goal a season' man, all his fawning fans then justify his inclusion because he works hard.

The current failure of this side is the team being picked, IMHO, and that is something Brown has got to get right and then some of the players who appear to be playing poorly will start to look the player they really can be. Over to you PB.

Your definition of producing the goods is scoring goals? (which he has 2 in his last 5 games of course).

What about the rest of his play ? Holding the ball up and leading the line, allowing the likes of Hurst to get forward, how does he do in that particular area ?

Corr hasnt produced enough goals, that goes without saying, but playing in that lone striker he isnt going to score as many as people want. He isnt hungry or pacy enough.

Corr is not A natural goalscorer.

Your definition of producing the good is scoring goals? (which he has 2 in his last 5 games of course).

What about the rest of his play ? Holding the ball up and leading the line, allowing the likes of Hurst to get forward, how does he do in that particular area ?

Corr hasnt produced enough goals, that goes without saying, but playing in that lone striker he isnt going to score as many as people want. He isnt hungry or pacy enough.

To be honest Jam Man I am bored with this argument. Corr is the only out and out striker in the side. If you are going to put out a side that has one out and out striker that works hard but does not score regularly then you know you are not going to get a huge amount of goals.

The midfield, well mainly Hurst, chipped in early doors but that was far and above the amount we could have expected of him and now his goal form has returned to his career norm we have no firepower. Why complain at the lack of goals when we don't field goal scorers?

Corr can work his nuts off but I want him doing that in the final third and he if he did it there more we would be defending less and he would have no need to keep coming back to help and putting himself out of position.

I suggest you study closely the post below yours (AMOTU) as his comments are spot on. I can only assume you are one of those fans who equate the performance of a striker to how many goals they score. In a side who don't create chances it's nowhere near as simple as that. Has Corr been prolific this season? No but he's done a fine job in the role he's been asked to play and with the service he's been given. Is Barnard going to score goals playing the same role? No. Eastwood? No. Football is simple, be solid at the back and create chances going forward and you'll be successful. The main reason we are in the top 7 is because we had a superb defensive record up until 6 weeks ago, that meant that even with poor service we still had a chance to win most games (or pick up at least a point) with the odd goal. Since the defence capitulated after Prosser's injury (among others) that's no longer the case. With the service still the same (or arguably worse with certain key players now out of form) we were only ever going to slip one way - down!

You say the defence was superb yet the previous 13 games before Barney signed they had kept 2 clean sheets and the 9 games played since Lee arrived they have kept 2 clean sheets so arguably the defence had a better record over the last 9 games.

The last 17 league games this team have either managed 1 goal or nil in over 80% of those games which is ok if the defence rarely conceded however you cannot win games if those up front rarely score as we cannot rely on midfield or defenders to out score the opposition.

The midfield has no out ball whilst the opposition have worked out how to beat us.

Barnard's career over the last 2 years has gone downhill and if he was still able to do it he would not be playing here.

Back