• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Anyone stating Sturrock is clueless should remember what he did in his first season for us,without him we could easily be playing in the conference now

Why ? He spent a good budget getting in a load of players some were decent, some weren't. Any self-respecting manager with those resources should have been able to keep us in the League. His real achievement was to turn that ragbag collection of players into an effective team that came oh so close to promotion.

Why ? He spent a good budget getting in a load of players some were decent, some weren't. Any self-respecting manager with those resources should have been able to keep us in the League. His real achievement was to turn that ragbag collection of players into an effective team that came oh so close to promotion.

I don't think it's as easy as that in fairness. To come in with,what was it four players?, and to have us top half with outside chance of play offs in first season was IMO pretty bloody good.

I would'nt call Sturrock an idiot, as he is a nice man personally, just didn't really have a plan B, like weve missed from a manager for a long time. Brown talks the talk as he's on Talk Sport every week. But got to give this guy least 2 seasons. Sturrock second season fell at final hurdle, bit more passion in this guy, but i'd love to see Chrissy Powell back at Roots Hall where he belongs.

:unsure: Did you watch us under Sturrock? We were usually on at least Plan B by half-time as he reacted to the way opponents were set-up. This is one of the reasons we were such a second half team.

I'll grant you that his Plan Z for when we were losing and he'd just chuck more players forward without having any shape wasn't particularly good, but he certainly made changes.

anyone that wants martin allen as their manager needs their head examining.

Exactly.

It doesn't matter who we have as manager ... we could have Fergie, Mourinho, Wenger, Powell, Freedman ... if they can't sign players during the pre-season or the January transfer window because of unspoken embargoes they don't stand a chance. There's one person responsible for our failure to get out of this pretty awful division and sadly we're stuck with him until he's built our three sided stadium and tries to sell the club.

It doesn't matter who we have as manager ... we could have Fergie, Mourinho, Wenger, Powell, Freedman ... if they can't sign players during the pre-season or the January transfer window because of unspoken embargoes they don't stand a chance. There's one person responsible for our failure to get out of this pretty awful division and sadly we're stuck with him until he's built our three sided stadium and tries to sell the club.

White, Coker, Atkinson, Clifford, Bennett, Cowan and Reid were all signed pre-season - admittedly the latter three late on in pre-season.

Barnard, O'Neill, Gomis and Thompson were all signed in the January window.

Starting the season with only four players was very hard for sturrock and getting a team together quickly and making us competitive was a great achievement in my opinion. He was very unlucky not to get promoted in second season as well.

ur probs saying this as a joke but i agree. he cant be any worse then wot we have now. he has gone away to the championship nd got some experiance. he would come back to us if we offerd managers job. i would of liked martin al;en but nooooo we are 2 slow in sacking are managers and his been snapped up by barnet allready. im sorry but sturrock was clueless and a bad manager and phil brown is not getting us promoted bring in harris some1 who loves the club and will get us up this season !!

Neil Harris. Really? I reckon my Footy Manager experience counts for more than his time with Millwall. PB has not not got us promoted as of yet. Considering how well we did before the Hull game he must have some idea of what he is doing. Stick with him I say. Still time to turn it around.

Oh........ and it's spelt 'what'. Not 'wot'. The appreciation of the English language is lost on some people.

It was Brown's remit to get us promoted this season, so in essence one season is what it's about
Am I the only one that felt we were doing better than expected. Yes it's disappointing to collapse after such good work but Rome wasn't built in a day.
remit or not, it's irrelevant when embargoes are in place , last seasons two top scorers leave, general upheaval etc.
Sturrock must be praised for putting together a team in his first season under enormous constraints and Tango Man has got players signed for the future which must be commended. Everyother club in the division is trying to get promoted without half the constraints PB has had to deal with. Accept we have no divine right to promotion and when we have the players capable of playing PB's way we will be in with a shout.
This seasons not over yet (although on current form we have no chance) so I'll be there tomorrow night as usual with my son and his friend cheering them on, come rain or shine and trying not to be a moody old Git if we don't win. I for one am fed up being in a foul mood all the time.
Berate me, disagree with me, mock me, I don't care, I am entitled to my opinion as you are yours.
Just remember I am always right though and all will be well.

Am I the only one that felt we were doing better than expected. Yes it's disappointing to collapse after such good work but Rome wasn't built in a day.
remit or not, it's irrelevant when embargoes are in place , last seasons two top scorers leave, general upheaval etc.
Sturrock must be praised for putting together a team in his first season under enormous constraints and Tango Man has got players signed for the future which must be commended. Everyother club in the division is trying to get promoted without half the constraints PB has had to deal with. Accept we have no divine right to promotion and when we have the players capable of playing PB's way we will be in with a shout.
This seasons not over yet (although on current form we have no chance) so I'll be there tomorrow night as usual with my son and his friend cheering them on, come rain or shine and trying not to be a moody old Git if we don't win. I for one am fed up being in a foul mood all the time.
Berate me, disagree with me, mock me, I don't care, I am entitled to my opinion as you are yours.
Just remember I am always right though and all will be well.

Phil is now in the sights of fans as he stumbles from draw or defeat and he ain't got the answer,His talking of a good game on TV or radio smacks at the poo we have witnessed in recent weeks and I feel his time here is fast running out.

I still cannot fathom out why Phil constantly failed to alter the forward line instead relying on the old school who simply are incapable of scoring,His own folly will come back and haunt him.

I like the bloke yet has he improved things here..Nah not really.

Phil is now in the sights of fans as he stumbles from draw or defeat and he ain't got the answer,His talking of a good game on TV or radio smacks at the poo we have witnessed in recent weeks and I feel his time here is fast running out.

I still cannot fathom out why Phil constantly failed to alter the forward line instead relying on the old school who simply are incapable of scoring,His own folly will come back and haunt him.

I like the bloke yet has he improved things here..Nah not really.

He has altered it.

What you mean is he hasn't done what you want and played Williams and Payne up front.

I think we will see the loanee start tonight, but then you wont want that either will you because 'loanees are killing us' and I'm sure if he does play and doesnt do well we will hear that we are being forced to play him.

Just accept it, the coaches don't see Williams as ready to step up, he isn't going to feature.

He has altered it.

What you mean is he hasn't done what you want and played Williams and Payne up front.

I think we will see the loanee start tonight, but then you wont want that either will you because 'loanees are killing us' and I'm sure if he does play and doesnt do well we will hear that we are being forced to play him.

Just accept it, the coaches don't see Williams as ready to step up, he isn't going to feature.

Exactly this.

He has altered it.

Going through your points,

Phil's job is on the line not mine so he can play who he wants yet its a results business and the old guard have failed.

Loan players I have no problem with if they are doing it match after match yet again IMO the bloke you are no doubt referring too did fail here.

Whether or not players are contracted to play every game is neither here or there it is just an opinion.

Williams got a few minutes so the coaches must think he is ready or why play him.

Jamgetsitwrongagain.

Going through your points,

Phil's job is on the line not mine so he can play who he wants yet its a results business and the old guard have failed.

Loan players I have no problem with if they are doing it match after match yet again IMO the bloke you are no doubt referring too did fail here.

Whether or not players are contracted to play every game is neither here or there it is just an opinion.

Williams got a few minutes so the coaches must think he is ready or why play him.

Jamgetsitwrongagain.

Well you did start a thread saynig "Loan Players are killing us" did you not ?

Williams got a few minutes (fluffed a chance) then never appeared again, doesn't make the bench and we go out to loan someone else. How exactly does that indicate they think he is ready?

Williams got a few minutes (fluffed a chance) then never appeared again. doesnt make the bench and we go out to loan someone else.. How exactly does that indicate they think he is ready?

Maybe Phil and his coaches have lost touch with reality.

Williams got a few minutes (fluffed a chance) then never appeared again, doesn't make the bench and we go out to loan someone else. How exactly does that indicate they think he is ready?

It was titled "Prem loans are killing us"

Jamgetsitwrongagain

Maybe Phil and his coaches have lost touch with reality.

He and the coaches see him every day, you have seen him for 6 minutes.

I think the fact they haven't selected him again and he is playing in the Under18's again speaks volumes about their judgement of him at the moment.

It was titled "Prem loans are killing us"

Jamgetsitwrongagain

Oh right, so we can loan lesser quality players from League One ok, just not those that Premiership teams deem good enough for them.

Makes perfect sense.

You realise Norwich, Liverpool and Sunderland are in the premiership right ? should we send the three back we are playing now? Egan and Sokolik both terrible eh.

Jam,

During this 13 game winless streak Phil has tried Corr Fred and Barney do you think he should persevere with these or go for broke by playing the new guy with Williams and Payne just behind them?

How would you set up?

Jam,

During this 13 game winless streak Phil has tried Corr Fred and Barney do you think he should persevere with these or go for broke by playing the new guy with Williams and Payne just behind them?

How would you set up?

Certainly not Williams.

I would be interested in seeing Payne but "just behind them" means what exactly ? What formation is that 4-3-3 with no wingers? Or are you expecting one central midfielder to have to do all the donkey work in a 442 ?

If Payne plays for me it has to be wide as I cant see how he fits in centrally.

Up front Id give the new guy a run with Eastwood as he is the one able to play decent balls through for him, but that still leaves a massive issue of not being able to win the ball up front enough.

If we get well beat tonight then I do fear for PB's career as a manager as I think Ron may wield the axe.

Certainly not Williams.

I would be interested in seeing Payne but "just behind them" means what exactly ? What formation is that 4-3-3 with no wingers? Or are you expecting one central midfielder to have to do all the donkey work in a 442 ?

If Payne plays for me it has to be wide as I cant see how he fits in centrally.

Up front Id give the new guy a run with Eastwood as he is the one able to play decent balls through for him, but that still leaves a massive issue of not being able to win the ball up front enough.

442 with Lenny holding with the wing backs playing narrow thus allowing young Jack to get forward to support TWO forwards,Wingers do they still exist then?

Back