• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brett Angle

First XI
I was just wondering if anybody picked up on the news yesterday with regards to the announcement by Asda that they will be expanding their presence in the UK by opening circa 300+ new stores (largely in the South of England)?

Apparently this is at odd with the current strategy of the rest of the 'Big 4' (Tesco, Sainsbury, Morrison) but could I suspect be just the sort of thing we need to focus the minds of Sainsbury and expedite their plans with RH and therefore us at FF. The supermarkets tend to follow each other like sheep as they fear above all else a loss of market share to each other (and more recently to Lidl and Aldi).

Widely reported on this morning on BBC Breakfast News too, Asda don't have a bad presence locally....two big stores in Shoebury and Basildon. What they lack is the smaller, convenience ones that seem to be doing so well for others.

Reckon we could fit one in the 4th stand...

A look that Bolton perfected in the 1980s. Lovely.

2016_display.jpg

Big distance between Bas and Shoebury - could be a good site for them at Roots Hall. Might keep Sainsburys on their toes as to not let it get into Asdas hands?
Ideally I guess they would want something in the A127 Eastwood Tesco area, but with nothing obvious available, could be a good bargaining chip if Sainsburys look to pull out.

I was thinking more that with Asda announcing these ambitious plans in the South of England it would give Sainsbury the final nudge they need to redevelop RH and for us to get FF over the line. I wasn't contemplating that they might get gazumped.

There is a good sized Asda in Rayleigh on the old Park School site, and it is very much up market to the Shoe one, might just because it is a lot newer but I think Asda have judged their market and shoppers well.

Maybe if Asda pushed Sainsburys for their current site in the town, on London road (thats the one closing right?), it could get Sainsburys to move on with FF alot quicker, knowing they had a buyer for the old store:unsure:

Back