• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

In the constraints of what they have to work with, Phil Brown could win the Premier League if he was manager of Manchester City or Chelsea but could Mourinho or Pelligrini get us promoted with this present squad and no cash to spend?

Jeez some people ,do you want Brown to say we have no chance and fans stay away the club , no in that then case, give the guy a break FFS

Since he has joined constant digs at him from many posters who have egg on their faces, we have idiots wanting Newports Manager to join us as he was doing a brilliant job look at them now, Chris Powell is the new Messiah yet havenot seen his name being pushed by bigger clubs
Give Brown a break he is doing miracles and I agree some signings are poor, but tell me one manager who hasnot

Too easy being a brilliant manager from the stands without knowing the true situation he works with

UTS
Brown miracles:angry:

Oh dear, I sense Barney has become your new Cauley?

If we showed everyone the door just because they have an off game, we would not have many left - this is League 2 remember.

I agree, it was not one of Barney's better games for sure, but he was'nt the only one and as usual he harried and hassled and tried to make things happen, AFC were a difficult side to break down and not adverse to a bit of time wasting and diving.

Coker and Aitkinson both had mare's and it was noticable the difference in chances we created once Murphy replaced Will.
Unfortunately, Barney was also off by then so he did not see the benefit - Barry on the other hand did, with 3 cut chances which he failed to put away - so what does that say? Shall we show him the door too?

Maybe it was'nt our day today - it happens - and just maybe there is no individual scapegoat to witch hunt out? :omg:

We always play better against the top sides, thankfully 3 of our last 4 games are, so lets just keep behind the team and PB and wait and see where we end up come May 3rd - my money's on 5th :winking:

Barnard has had 13 appearances and still not scored from open play!,This is after all professional football .

I pay my money and I demand something for my hard earned ,I don't want to see any player who looks as though they cannot be arsed,Bloody hell I play poor standard but I give it my best shot every game.

It's all about opinions.
Read a lot of pro-Murphy posts on here , but IMO he was poor.
time and time again he got into good positions and then either failed to deliver or lost the ball.
Too many tricks when he needed to be more direct.
that is my opinion.

Barnard has had 13 appearances and still not scored from open play!,This is after all professional football .

I pay my money and I demand something for my hard earned ,I don't want to see any player who looks as though they cannot be arsed,Bloody hell I play poor standard but I give it my best shot every game.
It isn't a lack of effort that's led to Barnard's lack of goals. I don't know whether it's been a lack of ability, lack of service or bad luck that's caused it, because he's certainly put in plenty of effort.

Most of the chances given to him have been in the air and that's hasn't suited his poacher style. Something hasn't clicked though and it's time for him to be dropped.

God that was depressing....Torquay was depressing, but at least we won, Cheltenham wasn't any better 1st half, but at least we rallied and has a good second half...the concern now is that we seem to go in runs of wins and defeats, if this signals the start of a run of defeats that's goodnight to the play off bid...Wimbledon looked an OK side to be fair, better than last year, but we just struggle so much for creativity unless Hurst is on top of his game....today really was a reality check, 3 wins and all looking rosy, best defense in the division...well it's not looking rosy now and Egan and Sokolik who have looked immense recently got bullied a bit to be honest by Midson...no complaints really about the defeat, probably a draw would have been fair, but we didn't do enough to win. ........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ratings are simple, 5's all round, but 6 for Leonard as he looked a little better, and a 3 for the usually solid Coker, purely as he made me wish we had Peter Gilbert back today.

It isn't a lack of effort that's led to Barnard's lack of goals. I don't know whether it's been a lack of ability, lack of service or bad luck that's caused it, because he's certainly put in plenty of effort.

Most of the chances given to him have been in the air and that's hasn't suited his poacher style. Something hasn't clicked though and it's time for him to be dropped.

Agreed, I wouldn't slag Barnard, he doesn't look as if he isn't trying...I will never slag a player if they are putting a shift in...the problem appears to be he just doesn't appear to be good enough.

Do you know what upset me most today?

No, it wasn't the fact that we lost 0-1 to a team that had nothing to offer other than play for the draw and try and catch us on the break while throwing themselves to the ground at every opportunity.

No, it wasn't the fact that after we'd knocked a ball over the top and their keeper bottled it and got himself injured in the 50:50 with Atkinson in the first 15 minutes or so and that we never put the fact that their keeper had no balls to the test again in the other 75 minutes.

It was the fact that at the end of the game, with the exception of Johnny White who turned quickly to the West before leaving the pitch, Timlin, who came halfway across the pitch and Dan Bentley, who always does, acknowledged the fans support, EVERY OTHER PLAYER seemed to turn their backs and get off the pitch as quickly as possible.

Yes, it was a disappointing performance and result but I can tell you now that the comments from the guys, and girls, in the stands were not good and many felt that it was total disrespect to the people who spend some very hard earned money following the club home and away.
One guy I was talking to spent over £150 last week going to Cheltenham and spent over £70 coming to today's game, he said he earns £300 a week. His reaction was that if that's all the players think of his commitment then next season he won't bother with his ST and will go and watch Wakering Rovers where he's always made welcome.
He was far from the only one, as I left the ground I heard many comments along the same lines and I know the point was made to Dave Jobson as I witnessed the conversation.

The club has made some real forward moves in the last few weeks with a fair bit of innovation going on, for heavens sake don't spoil it by ignoring the basics, it really isn't a lot to ask for the players to acknowledge the support they get. Everyone appreciates that they would be gutted by today but, hey, so were we, and it costs us a lot of money into the bargain. It's a two way street guys.

Watching Southend is a bit like a McDonalds breakfast....it's crap, makes you feel bad, but then somehow it's all forgotten and you fancy another one a week later......I am currently far from excited at committing to the last 3 home games (plus Rochdale)...but I'm sure I'll be up for it again by next week :smile:.

Frustrating day at the office. Barely tested their keeper at all, ****es me off.

Solid at the back and they get a jammy pen (haven't seen the highlights yet tbf), gutted for Dan that it just slipped under him.

Massive ask for us to go and win our two away games, so absolutely have to win our last two home games if we want it.

Do you know what upset me most today?

No, it wasn't the fact that we lost 0-1 to a team that had nothing to offer other than play for the draw and try and catch us on the break while throwing themselves to the ground at every opportunity.

No, it wasn't the fact that after we'd knocked a ball over the top and their keeper bottled it and got himself injured in the 50:50 with Atkinson in the first 15 minutes or so and that we never put the fact that their keeper had no balls to the test again in the other 75 minutes.

It was the fact that at the end of the game, with the exception of Johnny White who turned quickly to the West before leaving the pitch, Timlin, who came halfway across the pitch and Dan Bentley, who always does, acknowledged the fans support, EVERY OTHER PLAYER seemed to turn their backs and get off the pitch as quickly as possible.

Yes, it was a disappointing performance and result but I can tell you now that the comments from the guys, and girls, in the stands were not good and many felt that it was total disrespect to the people who spend some very hard earned money following the club home and away.
One guy I was talking to spent over £150 last week going to Cheltenham and spent over £70 coming to today's game, he said he earns £300 a week. His reaction was that if that's all the players think of his commitment then next season he won't bother with his ST and will go and watch Wakering Rovers where he's always made welcome.
He was far from the only one, as I left the ground I heard many comments along the same lines and i know the point was made to Dave Jobson as I witnessed the conversation.

The club has made some real forward moves in the last few weeks with a fair bit of innovation going on, for heavens sake don't spoil it by ignoring the basics, it really isn't a lot to ask for the players to acknowledge the support they get. Everyone appreciates that they would be gutted by today but, hey, so were we, and it costs us a lot of money into the bargain. It's a two way street guys.

To be honest, I pay my money (and it amounts to quite a lot based in Norwich) to watch the players play football, not stand in front of me pretending to appreciate me for turning up...if they want to, then fine, but it doesn't bother me one way or another...it's nice to have a post match celebration after a win with players and fans, as we all want the same thing, but by the same token after a ****ely performance like today I just wanted to go home, and suspect the players did to....today was a poor performance, low entertainment and if the players applauded me or not wouldn't have made the slightest difference to my mood when I left the ground.

Brown miracles:angry:

Well I think we played a lot of Brown stuff today .... in every sense. It was as though the plan was to grind out a 1-0 win rather than put a mediocre team in its place. Wimbledon's game plan worked, ours didn't. It wasn't as attacking a line up as I'd hoped for. A handful of moves could have produced a goal but sadly never really looked like they would. I was surprised Barnard started ahead of Corr today especially as we played as though it was BBBC up front. Barney doesn't have the physique to play the game that he's asked to in League 2 and his confidence and sharpness hasn't come back to him despite a few starts now. Loza's inexperience is showing but he still offers something different up front. We weren't helped by a lacklustre midfield and perhaps the lack of time on the training ground this week for Hurst and Leonard meant they weren't constantly in the faces of the opposition as they have been. I thought Murphy looked OK and think he deserves a start, certainly at home.

I'm still hopeful of the playoffs, but before today it was expectation rather than hope. Perhaps that's what was the team's problem.

I agree absolutely with this, what happened to our lovely fluid wide playing on the ground style? We've been laying far too many long balls on for forwards to either head or run on to, and not passing enough! It wasn't Barney's fault today, Loza was far worse than him but managed to stay on for the whole match! It may have been my mistake but I thought I saw Barney whack his seat in the dugout in displeasure at being subbed and that must surely be in frustration. There wasn't enough service...again from midfield, Straker needs to be back next match.

I was also perturbed to see the altercation between Tims and the skip, we don't want arguing amongst ourselves when we're trying to put together a play off push.

Wimbledon came with spoiler tactics that very weak officials allowed to dominate the match. The no. 37 was a cheating little ****** who got away with everything, and there were incidents involving both Barnard and Timlin that needed some decisive action.

On the plus side, Sokolik had a great game, and I thought Timlin was the pick of midfield.

To be honest, I pay my money (and it amounts to quite a lot based in Norwich) to watch the players play football, not stand in front of me pretending to appreciate me for turning up...if they want to, then fine, but it doesn't bother me one way or another...it's nice to have a post match celebration after a win with players and fans, as we all want the same thing, but by the same token after a ****ely performance like today I just wanted to go home, and suspect the players did to....today was a poor performance, low entertainment and if the players applauded me or not wouldn't have made the slightest difference to my mood when I left the ground.

That's fine, and fully respect your view, but to many it does, they like to feel at one with the team. To those supporters, the ones who are always there until the whistle blows, and after, they just feel the need to share the joy or the pain.

If half the crowd got up and left with 15 minutes to go how would the players feel?

Like I said, it's a two way street.

Why when we lose do some fans look for silly excuses.
Lucky penalty , are you sure ?
cast iron , nailed on pen all day long.
it was a pen , they scored it , we lost.

That's fine, and fully respect your view, but to many it does, they like to feel at one with the team. To those supporters, the ones who are always there until the whistle blows, and after, they just feel the need to share the joy or the pain.

If half the crowd got up and left with 15 minutes to go how would the players feel?

Like I said, it's a two way street.

Just one point, when I finish my boxing training sessions with my coach I am completed drained having used all my energy in the one hour solid workout. I do not have the energy to acknowledge anyone as I have given everything I have got to my training .

I wish the Southend footballers had run themselves into the ground during the match and had nothing left at the end of 90 minutes to give the crowd even the slightest clap.

Why when we lose do some fans look for silly excuses.
Lucky penalty , are you sure ?
cast iron , nailed on pen all day long.
it was a pen , they scored it , we lost.

Brown seems to think Egan got the ball. I'll reserve judgement until I've seen the highlights

Back