• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I didn't see the vote

Best Captain: Kevin Mayer
Best Season: 2005/06
Best Manager: Barry Fry
Best Player: Stan Collymore

Wondered why no billy best - surely best player?!! for those of us old enough to remember!
This is the thing about Billy Best , if you had not seen Southend between 1968-73 you would not understand why supporters of a certain age will tell you that Billy is perhaps the greatest player to ever where a Southend shirt .

Collymore was the best player to play for us, but he wasnt even here a season.

I can certainly see why people would vote for someone who was with us for years.

Collymore was the best player to play for us, but he wasnt even here a season.

I can certainly see why people would vote for someone who was with us for years.

Yes, that was my point, SVC had the most talent but ....................

It isn't the first time Tilly has won one of these as our best player, to be fair.

The people who voted for Steve Tilson must never have seen him play, he was a good player but nothing more, a player who would score 1 good goal every season and live off it for the rest, he was lazy and used to drift in and out of a game. If he was such a good player why did no one ever go for him? Would put him in my top 100 just.

Tilly was an average player for us. An extremely likeable and decent bloke. Had great success as manager but would not have been first on the teamsheet when he played.
I can remember from a young age ie 1970 ish many talented players and Tilly wouldn't be in the top 50.

Too many names to be listed that I would place above him but a great servant none the less.

Those too young to have seen some of the players we have had could be excused for voting for Tilly, those of us of a certain age know different.

Tilly was an average player for us. An extremely likeable and decent bloke. Had great success as manager but would not have been first on the teamsheet when he played.
I can remember from a young age ie 1970 ish many talented players and Tilly wouldn't be in the top 50.

Too many names to be listed that I would place above him but a great servant none the less.

Those too young to have seen some of the players we have had could be excused for voting for Tilly, those of us of a certain age know different.

Maybe that's the problem. Those of us of a certain age might be less inclined to engage with this type of voting.

The people who voted for Steve Tilson must never have seen him play, he was a good player but nothing more, a player who would score 1 good goal every season and live off it for the rest, he was lazy and used to drift in and out of a game. If he was such a good player why did no one ever go for him? Would put him in my top 100 just.

An "average" player in the greatest ever Southend team.

Whilst those of a certain age go weak at the knees at the mention of Billy Best, it's worth remembering that Best scored his goals predominantly in division four and in his best season in division three he scored 12 goals, whereas Tilly nearly matched that with 11 goals from midfield in the third division in 1990/91 and played most of his football two divisions higher than Best, a level few in Southend's history have reached.

Collymore is clearly the greatest player to have played for us since a past his prime David Jack made a solitary appearance for us in the 1930s, but Tilly is certainly one of the better players to have pulled on a Blues' shirt and only really Spencer Prior can challenge his CV for what he achieved in a Southend shirt.

An "average" player in the greatest ever Southend team.

Whilst those of a certain age go weak at the knees at the mention of Billy Best, it's worth remembering that Best scored his goals predominantly in division four and in his best season in division three he scored 12 goals, whereas Tilly nearly matched that with 11 goals from midfield in the third division in 1990/91 and played most of his football two divisions higher than Best, a level few in Southend's history have reached.

Collymore is clearly the greatest player to have played for us since a past his prime David Jack made a solitary appearance for us in the 1930s, but Tilly is certainly one of the better players to have pulled on a Blues' shirt and only really Spencer Prior can challenge his CV for what he achieved in a Southend shirt.

Now that's the beauty of free speech and differing opinions.

I stand by what I said. Tilly was an average player in the team. Good by many past and previous standards/levels but not outstanding.

My opinion of course as you have yours.

Back