• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Napster

No ⭐
As part of the Football League's 125th year anniversary, Blues fans were asked to vote for our best ever captain, player, manager and season. Here's how you voted:
Best Captain: Adam Barrett and Jimmy McAlinden
Best Season: 2005/06
Best Manager: Steve Tilson
Best Player: Steve Tilson
Thanks to everyone who voted.

Fair enough on Jimmy Mc.

But I'd have had Webby and Collymore and 90/91

LLOOOLLLLLLLL

Can someone with a bit of time do a comparison of Barrett and Mahers successes as captain

I agree with you not them,but would have Paul Clark as captain.
As part of the Football League's 125th year anniversary, Blues fans were asked to vote for our best ever captain, player, manager and season. Here's how you voted:
Best Captain: Adam Barrett and Jimmy McAlinden
Best Season: 2005/06
Best Manager: Steve Tilson
Best Player: Steve Tilson
Thanks to everyone who voted.

Fair enough on Jimmy Mc.

But I'd have had Webby and Collymore and 90/91

These polls are always flawed as there's always a short-term bias.

I've been going for coming up to 30 years, which is probably longer than most who bothered to vote have had to endure, and I've seen less than a third of the potential candidates (although more of the listed candidates as despite it celebrating 125 years there's no-one pre-WWII).

These polls are always flawed as there's always a short-term bias.

I've been going for coming up to 30 years, which is probably longer than most who bothered to vote have had to endure, and I've seen less than a third of the potential candidates (although more of the listed candidates as despite it celebrating 125 years there's no-one pre-WWII).

Which explains McAlinden how?

Absolute ridiculous - what a farce.

Barratt was a passionate and decent league one centre back, not our greatest ever skipper. As a manager Tilly had some wonderful success but equally had problems as a manager and although he was a decent player., I can think of a dozen better players in terms of contribution to the team.

Never even saw the vote!

Similarly to Firestorm, I'd have both Webb and Smith as better managers, Moody as captain and Collymore as best player, with Freddy ahead of Tilson too!

Manager Webb
Capt Moody
Player Collymore
Season 80/81 with our first season in Div 2 as it was , a close second

Manager Dave Smith (hairstyle on its own was worth it)
Captain Paul Clark (would be red carded every game in this day and age)
Player Collymore (cocky, don't like him, BUT he was different class that year)
Season 70/71 (1st season I was taken by my Dad. I was four and still can't kick the habit)

captain- clark-moody season 80-81 or 71-72, manager tilson-smith player- billy best

Don't care about the other poles (Even though im baffled by Tilson being our best player????) other than best captain ... and how on earth is Barret up there ? and not Maher ??? I don't know too much about Jimmy McAlinden , all i know is he died when i was a 1 year old and he played over 200 times for us so i can't pass comment on him .

But Maher vs Barret is surely a no brainer !! i mean what did Barret do for the club as captain ? yes i know ! , he helped us out with his wages , but he wasn't the only player that did that , so just because he was captain at the time doesn't make him any different.

Maybe i'm missing something , but other than being a great player and decent successor to Maher I Can't see why he is ahead of our most successful ever captain , 2 promotions , 1 league title and 2 cup finals as well as serving us for 10 years.

I'm probably missing something but atm i'm baffled ! :stunned:

Any facts i might not of been aware of , feel free to let me know ... but calmly please , its a forum for a team we all support , so no scratching my name in the side of a bullet if you disagree :smile:

Don't care about the other poles (Even though im baffled by Tilson being our best player????) other than best captain ... and how on earth is Barret up there ? and not Maher ??? I don't know too much about Jimmy McAlinden , all i know is he died when i was a 1 year old and he played over 200 times for us so i can't pass comment on him .

But Maher vs Barret is surely a no brainer !! i mean what did Barret do for the club as captain ? yes i know ! , he helped us out with his wages , but he wasn't the only player that did that , so just because he was captain at the time doesn't make him any different.

Maybe i'm missing something , but other than being a great player and decent successor to Maher I Can't see why he is ahead of our most successful ever captain , 2 promotions , 1 league title and 2 cup finals as well as serving us for 10 years.

I'm probably missing something but atm i'm baffled ! :stunned:

Any facts i might not of been aware of , feel free to let me know ... but calmly please , its a forum for a team we all support , so no scratching my name in the side of a bullet if you disagree :smile:
The results, like most polls are only from those that vote and with this type of survey the votes will likely come from males aged 20 - 50, hence the votes went clearly for their best memories rather than cold analysis across history.
And, for what it's worth, IMO all the names mentioned are worthy types, but, technically the most skilled and naturally gifted ( and greatest waste of fulfilment) has to be StanleyVictor.

Back