• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

yogi bear up the cagire

Life President⭐
Yes, I know there is still a mathematical chance we may not make the play-offs............there's probably a similar chance that Lord Lucan will appear to present the trophy at the Final. So, I thought it may be interesting to speculate who our opponents are likely to be on the weekend 10/11th May.
I was going to use the 'Talk about tight' thread and open it up to concern the top as well as the bottom but that's been dispatched to other pastures. Tight it certainly is, at the top and with a fascinating set of fixtures for the last two weekends. Let's assume Scunthorpe (one point needed and undefeated since the stone age) are promoted, it then leaves six clubs fighting it out for the remaining automatic and play-off positions. On paper Rochdale have the easiest task whilst the rest, in all but one game, face each other!

Fleetwood v Southend
Southend v Burton
-------------------------
Fleetwood v Southend
Chesterfield v Fleetwood
---------------------------
Rochdale v
Cheltenham
Newport v Rochdale
-------------------------
Burton v Chesterfield
Southend v Burton
--------------------------

Burton v Chesterfield
Chesterfield
v Fleetwood
--------------------------
York v Newport
Scunthorpe v York

I thought it would be easy to predict who we are likely to play............yet, it's anything but! at a push I'd go for the table finishing as it presently stands, thus giving us a play-off semi-final against Burton. Our fixture this weekend is intruiging and certainly, Fleetwood have rather more to play for. A win would be essential in order to keep their slim automatic hopes alive.

It'll be Burton I'm sure. Here's one for the stattos....have we ever played the same club 3 times in succession?

what a cracking run of results we've had to get into this position, with 2 games spare! Personally I hope we finish 7th and play Fleetwood he will be disapointed to have just missed out on the autos..

On paper, as far as form goes, Burton present slightly less threat than York or Fleetwood who, like us are up near the top of the form table. Probably stupid to make such assumptions as the play-offs are a Cup situation and anything can and possibly will happen........stress levels already soaring! :smile:

Who should we far . I dont think we will fear any of the possable play off teams .We have played them all and done well against them all be it we still have to face Fleetwood and Burton . But we beat Burton away all be it in the 93 rd min .We trounced Fleetwood at home and if Rochdale drop into the playoffs we have beaten then as well . As long as these teams come into the 2 games to play football then I feel we will do ok .

It'll be Burton I'm sure. Here's one for the stattos....have we ever played the same club 3 times in succession?
I had that thought, but more specific: Have we ever played 3 successive league fixtures agains the same cluib before?

I suspect we haven't, and it's *possible* that no-one else has either, because the likelihood of that happening is so small (it would have to be match 46 then play-off semi-finals).

There'd be plenty of times we've played the same team in two consective league games, back in the days when there was a Christmas day fixture followed by a Boxing Day return fixture against the same team.

what a cracking run of results we've had to get into this position, with 2 games spare! Personally I hope we finish 7th and play Fleetwood he will be disapointed to have just missed out on the autos..

If we only have to face a dejected Mr Fleetwood then we should be able to ensure a Wembley return! :happy:

I had that thought, but more specific: Have we ever played 3 successive league fixtures agains the same cluib before?

I suspect we haven't, and it's *possible* that no-one else has either, because the likelihood of that happening is so small (it would have to be match 46 then play-off semi-finals).

There'd be plenty of times we've played the same team in two consective league games, back in the days when there was a Christmas day fixture followed by a Boxing Day return fixture against the same team.

Not Football League but.....Grimsby and Newport played three in a row last year. When I was up in York for our league game last year, I got chatting to a Mariners fan who had stopped off en route to Grimsby v Newport, the final league game of the season. He was questioning why on earth he was bothering given it was just a preview of their upcoming playoff fixtures!

Given our form against top of the table teams, I don't actually mind who we get in the play-offs. On our day we can match/beat any of them. My only slight worry is will we turn up for the final, assuming we get there?

I think whoever we play will make the mistake of parking the bus at roots hall thinking they can have a go in the home leg. Bring it on I say, i cant wait for the play offs I love em woooooooooooooo.

We rarely "turn up" and lose, even on our bad days we can scrape a result.

The only game we lost recently was due to a penalty, with that sort of solidity we stand a decent chance in the knockout games. Won only have to win the semi and final 1-0, and we have shown we can perform against the bigger teams.

And the last time we played the second leg away from home was not great :sad:

Iam not normally a fussy so and so but this is a play off thread isnt it??? JPT not the concern here

My original (slight) concern was us and Wembley, whatever competition it is. By the way, I want to be proved horribly wrong.

My original (slight) concern was us and Wembley, whatever competition it is. By the way, I want to be proved horribly wrong.

I know exactly what you mean, looking at those cup finals....no goals, poor performances, then our solitary success against Lincoln,,,,3-1 down on big finals, time to make it 3-2, also I think our current team have a bit of an ego thing and wont flop on the big stage.

Our final 5 games are Fleetwood, Burton, Burton, Burton, Fleetwood? Some sort of record if it happens?

Back