• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hmmm ... I would have thought one of the advantages of the loan spell was to keep him in shape in case he was needed. Okay he's no more than 4th choice but one injury and one red card and he's back in the frame ... or not, now.

The way I read the article suggests he would be 5th choice and therefore totally out of the frame regardless.

I reckon he is gone! Phil says "I told him we have 4 centre halves" which basically means I do not need you so no contract!

Yep, agree with Shrimpboy. Would be sorry to see Laird and Eastwood go though.

Phillips was very popular at Aldershot, sounds like he gave them just enough to help them avoid relegation, so no doubt would be welcomed back there. Good luck to him - great servant to the club.

Hmmm ... I would have thought one of the advantages of the loan spell was to keep him in shape in case he was needed. Okay he's no more than 4th choice but one injury and one red card and he's back in the frame ... or not, now.

I thought at the time it was purely because he was being let go and giving him a chance to either get a new club or put himself in the window.

Been a good player for us but with Sokolik and Egan he really was pushed down the pecking order so far he wasn't going to get a look in.

I would guess that all those who haven't yet been offered new deals (Laird, Bennett, Smith, Phillips and Eastwood) will be let go.

I think Bennett and Fred will be offered new deals. The club aren't rushing for either, as nobody will be rushing to offer them one.

This is in Phil Brown's column in the Echo:

MARK Phillips has finished his loan spell at Aldershot Town and he contacted me to ask what was happening.

He said he wanted to go away on holiday and I said that was fine as I have four centre-backs available at the moment.

He’s also contacted our physio Ben Clarkson for treatment as he’s been feeling stiff and unfortunately during my time here Mark has never really been that far away from the treatment table.

But he’s been a fantastic servant for this football club.

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/blues/11186189.Southend_United_manager_Phil_Brown__I_m_thinking_about_changes_for_Burton_Albion_game/?ref=rss

I would guess that all those who haven't yet been offered new deals (Laird, Bennett, Smith, Phillips and Eastwood) will be let go.

I think he will keep Freddy as he seems to like him and will try to keep Laird but all the others will be Offski!!

I think he will keep Freddy as he seems to like him and will try to keep Laird but all the others will be Offski!!

Mark wasn't at the Trust's Awards Night last night, but every other first and youth team player was, including Seedy and Julian Bennett. The boss seems to have a good relationship with all his first team squad, including Marc Laird, so who knows what will happen.

Mark wasn't at the Trust's Awards Night last night, but every other first and youth team player was, including Seedy and Julian Bennett. The boss seems to have a good relationship with all his first team squad, including Marc Laird, so who knows what will happen.

Closest group of players and staff I can remember. Thought Brown spoke very well last night, very confident for the PO's.

On topic, Mark was a fantastic servant for this club and put himself through immense pain the play that 2nd leg against Orient, which probably cost him his place at Wembley.

But this is the right time to call it a day on his Southend career.

Shame, I would have liked to have seen him play a cameo sub on Saturday and get a good send off if he is leaving us. Smashing guy and tough player.

Closest group of players and staff I can remember. Thought Brown spoke very well last night, very confident for the PO's.

On topic, Mark was a fantastic servant for this club and put himself through immense pain the play that 2nd leg against Orient, which probably cost him his place at Wembley.

But this is the right time to call it a day on his Southend career.

Absolutely, he was superb in that second leg. I don't remember Mark Phillips going for the opposition with a pair of scissors or being involved in bringing young girls back to hotel rooms but there you go.
Would have been nice for the fans to have had the chance to say thanks and ta da but doesn't look likely now.

Yea will be a shame if Mark's blues career ends without a proper 'goodbye' - a great servant in some tough times for the club.

I would wait to see what league we are in before handing out contracts to any of the ones out of contract. I would sign Laird up though, he can be good in l1 or l2

I would wait to see what league we are in before handing out contracts to any of the ones out of contract. I would sign Laird up though, he can be good in l1 or l2

Totally agree on the Laird front. I actually think he would be better in League 1.

Yea will be a shame if Mark's blues career ends without a proper 'goodbye' - a great servant in some tough times for the club.

Agreed re all of this. If he hasn't gone on holiday yet and is in the area can't someone in the twitter world send him an invite to sit in with us in the west on saturday so we can buy him a beer?

Absolutely, he was superb in that second leg. I don't remember Mark Phillips going for the opposition with a pair of scissors or being involved in bringing young girls back to hotel rooms but there you go.
Would have been nice for the fans to have had the chance to say thanks and ta da but doesn't look likely now.

It is a shame. He was a great servant for us especially the first 2 seasons. Always gave it his all, played through the pain barrier and no one can knock that.

Back