• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

No.

Give me accrington stanley away on a ****ing tuesday night over Stoke 'B' at home every day of the week.

Wont be going. Fact.
I think we'd struggle if we have to play a game every day, even with home advantage.

If you introduce new teams into a league them some have to go to make room - means 100 year old clubs disappear. Also chanting '1-0 to the seasiders' whilst beating Chelsea B will be met with shrugs because its their reserve team and they won't give a **** if its 10-0 to the seasiders.

Not sure about that. As I understand they are proposing an extra league, not invading our league, so 100 year clubs should be fine. Give it a few seasons and everyone will find their level. Conference clubs have most to lose as there's another league coming in above them. My concern would be that once they are in, in 10 years time you find the lower leagues being run to meet the needs of the premier league clubs as, let's be honest, they could fund the whole thing.

Will they be bigger games?

I've been to every away game this season, so it won't affect me either way. However as soon as we get in the play offs every man and his dog wants to be involved and as such we may take 1000 to Burton. It will be the same if we play Chelsea reserves which in one way ****es me off, but in another way is good for club revenues. Better still, Chelsea reserves will probably nick some poor non league clubs ground (and as such identity) to field these fixtures.

If this happens it will feel to me exactly how I felt when Disney got the rights to Star Wars....Horrendous idea.

It completely takes the soul from English football. A few years ago the Spanish cup semi final was someone (Barcelona I think) vs their B team. Exciting

I agree something needs to change, as I don't want to see Gareth Barry vs Germany again, but don't destroy the game to do it. Maybe reverse that decision to give the prem clubs the right to buy talented players for zip, stockpile them and discard? If it's all about facilities, training camps for the best kids, take away club power and stop treating them as commodities?

Not sure about that. As I understand they are proposing an extra league, not invading our league, so 100 year clubs should be fine. Give it a few seasons and everyone will find their level. Conference clubs have most to lose as there's another league coming in above them. My concern would be that once they are in, in 10 years time you find the lower leagues being run to meet the needs of the premier league clubs as, let's be honest, they could fund the whole thing.

I've been to every away game this season, so it won't affect me either way. However as soon as we get in the play offs every man and his dog wants to be involved and as such we may take 1000 to Burton. It will be the same if we play Chelsea reserves which in one way ****es me off, but in another way is good for club revenues. Better still, Chelsea reserves will probably nick some poor non league clubs ground (and as such identity) to field these fixtures.

How many do you think Chelsea will get for their "home" games, played at Griffin Park? More or less than Brentford?

It completely takes the soul from English football. A few years ago the Spanish cup semi final was someone (Barcelona I think) vs their B team. Exciting

B teams haven't been allowed in the Copa del Rey since the early 1980s (when Real Madrid met Real Madrid Castilla in the final).

Because Chelsea B will be better than Southend A, as will Spurs B and Arsenal B and...as they progress up through the leagues we and those like us drop down. And their fans still won't care because they will still be effectively watching practice matches.

I'm not sure what a Premier League club are going to learn from their pampered 19 year old starlet getting kicked lumps out of by someone like this to be honest:

BlSzrfxIcAMkbBb.jpg

B teams haven't been allowed in the Copa del Rey since the early 1980s (when Real Madrid met Real Madrid Castilla in the final).

I've done a google search and I stand corrected. My memory is deceiving me. I haven't changed my mind on the rest of my post though

I'm not sure what a Premier League club are going to learn from their pampered 19 year old starlet getting kicked lumps out of by someone like this to be honest:

BlSzrfxIcAMkbBb.jpg
He's actually a decent player!

Because Chelsea B will be better than Southend A, as will Spurs B and Arsenal B and...as they progress up through the leagues we and those like us drop down. And their fans still won't care because they will still be effectively watching practice matches.

Dyke's argument on Five Live earlier (not saying I agree) is that the B teams aren't, generally speaking, the best in the Spanish lower leagues, so there is no reason to assume it would be the same in England. Quick list of where the best B teams currently are in Spain (note that the third tier is comprised of four regional divisions):

Barcelona B - 3rd in 2nd tier
Real Madrid Castilla - 20th in 2nd tier
Las Palmas Atl - 3rd in 3rd tier
Bilbao Athletic - 4th in 3rd tier
Elche Ilicitano - 5th in 3rd tier
Granada B - 7th in 3rd tier
Espanyol B - 8th in 3rd tier
Real Madrid C - 9th in 3rd tier
Sporting Gijón B - 9th in 3rd tier
Villarreal B - 11th in 3rd tier
Córdoba B - 11th in 3rd tier
Real Sociedad B - 12th in 3rd tier
Almería B - 13th in 3rd tier
Sevilla B - 15th in 3rd tier
Atlético Madrid B - 16th in 3rd tier
Valencia Mestalla - 16th in 3rd tier
Celta Vigo B - 18th in 3rd tier
Levante B - 19th in 3rd tier

Dyke's argument on Five Live earlier (not saying I agree) is that the B teams aren't, generally speaking, the best in the Spanish lower leagues, so there is no reason to assume it would be the same in England. Quick list of where the best B teams currently are in Spain (note that the third tier is comprised of four regional divisions):

Barcelona B - 3rd in 2nd tier
Real Madrid Castilla - 20th in 2nd tier
Las Palmas Atl - 3rd in 3rd tier
Bilbao Athletic - 4th in 3rd tier
Elche Ilicitano - 5th in 3rd tier
Granada B - 7th in 3rd tier
Espanyol B - 8th in 3rd tier
Real Madrid C - 9th in 3rd tier
Sporting Gijón B - 9th in 3rd tier
Villarreal B - 11th in 3rd tier
Córdoba B - 11th in 3rd tier
Real Sociedad B - 12th in 3rd tier
Almería B - 13th in 3rd tier
Sevilla B - 15th in 3rd tier
Atlético Madrid B - 16th in 3rd tier
Valencia Mestalla - 16th in 3rd tier
Celta Vigo B - 18th in 3rd tier
Levante B - 19th in 3rd tier

but they still have no right to be there in the new proposal - it's like a whole load of MK Dons - just plonk them in the conference and watch them go. Big home gates because you may be seeing the next generation of your A team, no away fans because why the hell would you bother. It's literally to blood new players - I bet the atmosphere at those matches is *****.

There is a 21 age limit on most of the squad in the proposal - so why not just create an under 21 league, why mess with the structure of real football clubs. Dyke is clueless.

but they still have no right to be there in the new proposal - it's like a whole load of MK Dons - just plonk them in the conference and watch them go. Big home gates because you may be seeing the next generation of your A team, no away fans because why the hell would you bother. It's literally to blood new players - I bet the atmosphere at those matches is *****.

There is a 21 age limit on most of the squad in the proposal - so why not just create an under 21 league, why mess with the structure of real football clubs. Dyke is clueless.

Never been to one myself - never had the inclination - but a friend occasionally goes to Real Madrid Castilla games as 'something to do'. Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

A truly rotten idea - has anyone seen a prominent journalist/commentator/etc come out in favour of this idea? I've certainly not seen approval from any of the journos I follow on Twitter (Marcotti, Winter, Kay, Taylor, Slipperduke etc).

Why can't they just have an under 21 league with only English players if that is what the FA want.
And an under 21 FA Cup with the same all English Criteria?
Maybe exemptions that the same players could play maximum of 5 competitive games each calendar month in either of these league, cup or Prem League.

It'd be interesting to see if any PL fans actually support it too.

It'd be interesting to see if any PL fans actually support it too.

Very anecdotal, but no Prem fans at work (all 'genuine', i.e. seasos or supporters of their home town teams) liked this idea when we were talking about it today.

Back