• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

At the start of the season not many people expected us to do much different to Bristol Rovers, and they're playing Conference football next year. I'll take losing a play-off semi final, no matter how gutting it is.

At the start of the season not many people expected us to do much different to Bristol Rovers, and they're playing Conference football next year. I'll take losing a play-off semi final, no matter how gutting it is.

Good point,

Phil has done a good job and deserves another season or two.

Play offs are a load of **** when you lose. Would have rather finished 8th than this *****.

I did disclose to a couple of friends on here, that I never really believed we were going to win. Just a gut feeling that when I was looking at flights for next week, it felt as though I was just going through the motions with no real idea that I would be booking a plane seat. There was a short period in the middle of the game, between us scoring our second and a few minutes after them bringing on Key, that I was in the process of changing my mind set but sadly, in the end, it turned out as I thought it would. Emotionally drained........going out after tea to look for my life again.

We only had ourselves to blame for conceding such needless set pieces time and time again. And for not making the most of a man advantage last week. Donny and Crewe were much better than we were whereas this feels like a huge missed opportunity.

Predictable talk on here about needing a striker with pace. Put a creative midfielder in this side and we'll be fine.

Hoof, hoof, hoof, that's what lost it for us, predictable and terrible to watch!

We only had ourselves to blame for conceding such needless set pieces time and time again. And for not making the most of a man advantage last week. Donny and Crewe were much better than we were whereas this feels like a huge missed opportunity.

Predictable talk on here about needing a striker with pace. Put a creative midfielder in this side and we'll be fine.

You mean a creative midfielder who can score with an overhead shot!

Hurst didn't do anything much. The bloke dived and the totally inept ref and Lino combination fell for it

Disagree. It was a foul, not a bad one, but still a foul and what depressed me was that it was totally unnecessary. Ok there were other opportunities for us and I'm not necessarily blaming Hurst unduly, but the goal from it did totally bollox our momentum.

I think u have to say Gary Rowett is one of the best managers in the lower leagues and will surely go onto bigger clubs. Got his tactics right over both games and justified his team selections. We just didn't have enough goal threat which is the story all season and we really need to look at set pieces next season. They were crucial for Luggy and Brown needs to make better use of them.

I think those kind of tactics by Burton have their place in the lower leagues but if that is the way Rowett sets his teams up And the 'style' he wants to play I don't think he will be that appealing to clubs higher up.

great atmosphere today in the first half. If Lenny had crossed rather than shot just after half time maybe, just maybe...

Bentley 7. a couple of decent saves but looks like a worse header of the ball than Kevan Hurst...
White 6, good defensively but too much hoof
Egan 6 ref didn't like him, but if he's given two 'fouls' against you the first two times you go off your feet, don't do it!
Sokolik 7 ditto re tackles but made some great offensive runs in the second half
Coker 7 not his best game going forward but made a couple of outstanding last-ditch tackles
Timlin 6.5 knitted things together well without doing anything outstanding
Hurst 5 not in the game, continued the poor second half of the season
Atko 5 again he ran around and tackled but nothing offensively
Lenny 8 awesome MOM performance, no way he'll be here next season, BUT a point knocked off for not squaring that ball...
Straker 7 had a great 20 mins in the second quarter of the game
Corr 7 fouled constantly, no protection at all from the ref or much support from Straker/Hurst
Freddie 5 did nothing
Payne 6 looked lively and had a great volley near the end
Clifford 5 unfortunate to come on just as things were going wrong

PB 6 I can see why he took Timlin off but he had to get Murphy on once we needed a goal, as there was no width at the end

The season - 6.5/10 -much better football and a great team spirit but managed to let slip a great opportunity to get promoted. Only Chesterfield were as good a footballing team as us this year, when everyone played their best, but the other teams were just too consistent.

With maybe the exception of Coker, at least we won the not very silly haircuts competition:smile:

Having had time to consider the game and accept the huge disappointment..a few thoughts.

We lost the game rather than Burton Albion winning it. At half time we had the momentum, phsycological advantage and a good crowd buzzing with excitement. But then?? We seemed to go into our shell from the beginning of the second half and any spine seemed to walk off with Timlin. Burton seized the initiative and got the lucky break with a cruel ricochet. Once behind again, it seemed that hoofing it up in the general direction of BBBC showed our increasing desperation.

We have the basis of a decent side, however when loanees return we may be short.
We have a good manager who looks to play decent football and has something about him.
After a few frustrating seasons in the basement - we still have remarkably good support. A healthy, passionate crowd today.

It will be tough next season but we live to fight another day

. We must be cautious. Luton Town and Bristol Rovers have both been big clubs with decent support in League 2. Lets get out of it asap.

ok

Ok, we did not make it, so, keep a very good manager, keep our best players, which I understand will not be easy, play the way we are playing, and we will **** this league next season. We were the better team, and they no it. See you next season Burton, because you wont beat Fleetwood.

Fans 11/10. Incredible atmosphere.

Surprised nobody has really mentioned this yet. Best atmosphere of the season by a long shot. With the ref on their side it was more of a 12 on 12 game!

Seriously the ref like last week was so inconsistent. One minute slides were allowed the next they weren't. three slides in a row which looked legitimate to me in the first half went punished and the last of those three brought Burton their goal.

I am gutted we lost seeing the lads put so much effort in, we have pretty much dominated 75% of the legs but because of out fire power up front we lost it.

Yes our strikers have really let us down this season, but lets cut Corr some slack, he came good towards the end of the season and over the playoffs he got no protection from the referees.

I was disappointed that our centre backs let Kee win most balls in the air when he came on, he is a lot shorter than I thought but won nearly everything and gave Burton the time they needed to see and slow the game out.

Burton were awful, can't really see them going up against Fleetwood but they managed to out do us so who knows.

Automatics next season please thanks. Especially with the squad we have.

Surprised nobody has really mentioned this yet. Best atmosphere of the season by a long shot. With the ref on their side it was more of a 12 on 12 game!

Seriously the ref like last week was so inconsistent. One minute slides were allowed the next they weren't. three slides in a row which looked legitimate to me in the first half went punished and the last of those three brought Burton their goal.

It was a definite foul for the first goal. The two before it (against Egan) were harsh but the third from Leonard was a poor tackle.

Back