• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

@SUFCRootsHall:Bedsente Gomis, Ryan Auger and Luke Chambers have also left, but Auger & Chambers have been invited back for pre-season training.

@SUFCRootsHall:Breaking News > Club legend Freddy Eastwood has left Southend United. Thank you for all the memories, Freddy.

No surprise to either Philo or Laird going. Both probably on above average wages compared to the rest of the squad, and neither being starters, no real surprise they are on their way.

Wish both well for the future.

Not surprised either about Freddy. His knee(s) have gone, and can't complete 90 minutes. I think everyone guessed this when Barnard got another year.

Funny one about Auger and Chambers. Not seen either TBH, but with Ted Smith on the way through, I suppose you can't have 4 goalies on the books.

Brown definitely gets my backing and he sees the players in training every day but it would be great to know what happened with Laird who seemed such an important part of our early season form. Injury took him out initially (as I recall?) and Brown talked about changing systems shortly afterwards so was it just down to that - he no longer fit the system?

Brown definitely gets my backing and he sees the players in training every day but it would be great to know what happened with Laird who seemed such an important part of our early season form. Injury took him out initially (as I recall?) and Brown talked about changing systems shortly afterwards so was it just down to that - he no longer fit the system?

Got dropped after the Torquay defeat if I remember and never really got a look in thereafter. I thought he was a good player but then I'm not a football coach.

I rated Laird and still find it strange how he fell so out of favour but him and Gomis leaving creates space for another, hopefully more creative, midfielder.

Leonard, Timlin, Atkinson, Clifford and said creative player looks a very strong and well balanced midfield.

Makes me wonder if Laird never really recovered from that knee injury in August. Will be interesting to see where he ends up as I always rated him highly. He was immense in our comeback at Portsmouth.

Got dropped after the Torquay defeat if I remember and never really got a look in thereafter. I thought he was a good player but then I'm not a football coach.

I agree that Laird is a good player but on the times I have seen him this season he (Laird) has been too "sideways and backwards" when on the ball.

Good luck to all those players released - Auger never did get a look in, according to some on here Chambers was the next "Bentley" and Gomis was a player who will feature in "who can remember this player" questions in a couple of years time.

As for Eastwood, I am truly sorry to see him go. Almost in tears here. :'(

Chambers is the surprise on there for me as thought he was one for the future.

Rest of them not overly shocked. Think Laird is a decent player but we have too many central midfielders.

So that leaves Straker, Payne, Paul Smith and Bennett, who have presumably been offered new deals. Surprised about the latter two, although if Smith is happy to sit on the bench for another year then why not. Decent number 2 goalie to have. I imagine Chambers has been released to make room for Ted Smith to come through.

Laird and Phillips are quality players at this level, but Brown is probably right to let them both go in my opinion.

Sad that Freddy is going. But if we continue to play the system we use, I can't really see any other strikers doing well who aren't target men.

Dont think its all settled just yet

Southend United @SUFCRootsHall
We can confirm talks are still ongoing with the other out-of-contract players, and we will announce any news as and when we have it.

Id assume though that talks are continuing so we want to keep them.

Back