• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

True... but Wigan is not a small place, it's just a Rugby town. Because of the money David Whelan has invested, they have a decent stadium and being Premier League and Championship have therefore "converted" many fans to follow them. The likes of Fleetwood, Stevnage, Crawley, Burton, Morecambe etc don't have the population to convert! As was said when George Reynolds built the 30,000 capacity Reynolds arena for Darlington, there probably isn't an event of any description that would attract 30,000 people. I can't remember which of Fleetwood or Burton it was, but one of them only had an entire popluation of 27,000!

It's Fleetwood. I think Burton has about 45,000, which is about half the population of Rayleigh!

The right team has won here - Fleetwood finished clear 4th on 76 points and have gone and won the knockout too.

Why was Wembley built though? All that money spent when there are umpteen world class stadia already in the UK. Now everything needs to be played there to justify the initial outlay. Fleetwood vs Burton would have been far better suited to one of the Manchester or Merseyside grounds - you'd get a better crowd and still have a cracking day out.

Large cod n chips for me tonight !! Have to agree the funniest thing on television this bank holiday was the Burton fan moaning about time wasting !! Cant wait for Mr Rowett to turn up next season ... and in an ideal world we will beat them to get promoted !!

Think Burton's side will be picked apart now, McGurk to a better side, their winger back to Watford (Ismail?), and maybe Rowett gone to a bigger team

they're over achieving and I think this will spark their end, possibly like Torquay? Who knows

It just goes to show what an opportunity wasted the semi-final defeat was for us. I thought Fleetwood were absolutely dreadful and for that reason I actually feel for Burton; they were much the better side.

................. you should have gone to SpecSavers!!!

Well done to Fleetwood i thought they were much the better side and deserved to win the match.

They did what we didn't do and got bodies forward where it mattered inside the box. I think we lost it by not being able to break ten men down in the half an hour at their place.

The beauty and romance of the English game means that it is (or used to be) possible for a tiny team to work their way up the football ladder. Wimbledon did it famously from non-league to FA Cup winners. The Premier League and the fairly recent proposals would - if they had their way - make the top two leagues a "closed shop" so that the likes of us would never break into it.

Re election was pretty much that; only 8 teams ever got into the league by being elected in. Automatic promotion and relegation between all leagues keeps the competition alive and provides hope for smaller sides that one day they can get their odd season of glory. Once you take that hope away, the game will die at the lower levels.

Good luck to Fleetwood. It will be unsustainable - as it was with Rushden & Diamonds and as it will prove to be with Stevenage, Crawley and all the other small sides punching way above their weight, but bloody good luck to them while they are there and I hope they enjoy the ride.

What? I agree with almost all of that. You must be a weirdo as well then .......................:unsure:

The old sayings always come true...... 'Cheats never prosper comes to mind!'

Wouldn't it be nice if that was true.

Anyway, can anyone remember a goalie called something like Flaharving or Flahevenham who was booked on occasion for time wasting .............:whistling:

It just goes to show what an opportunity wasted the semi-final defeat was for us. I thought Fleetwood were absolutely dreadful and for that reason I actually feel for Burton; they were much the better side.
Fleetwood were by far the better footballing side and just loved their time wasting towards the end, Burton got what they deserved. NOTHING

................. you should have gone to SpecSavers!!!
Probably shouldn't have commented as I missed the first 35 minutes but in the 55 I saw Burton were definitely better during that time and Fleetwood were continually giving the ball away. Reports on the BBC and Sky websites suggest the same thing. Think had it gone to extra time Burton would have won.

:hilarious: Justice has been served. Can't wait to playthe timewasters again next season. Thought Fleetwood were a good side in our 1-1 draw last month and so it has proved. Well deserved..............................Shame about the crowd though.

Great to see Burton cods walloped! :happy:

Can't wait for them to come back to Roots Hall so that we can remind them of their failure. Please let it be the opening game of the season.

Great to see Burton cods walloped! :happy:

Can't wait for them to come back to Roots Hall so that we can remind them of their failure. Please let it be the opening game of the season.

If it is then we will play four competitive fixtures against them in a row!

Laie-lol%20sept%202010.gif

Well done Fleetwood , can't wait for Burton to return to the hall so we can remind them of this

Back