• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

De Jong watched him team concede 5 so maybe not the best comparison.
haha wtf are you on about?!

The replay proved the target between post and defender was non existent so if his shot had been goal bound the ball would have been blocked.

That's irrelevant. I agree he should have shot across the goalie because that's where the space was and the keeper may have parried it back out into the box. He missed the chance.

in the world cup finals(now),results are everything..would rather play poor & get the/a result(like greece did in the euros a few years ago),than play "well" & get beat(knocked out)..i still think our game v italy,may,may have looked ok (better!!!!),than before,but we lost & if we played another hour longer,we would never have scored,far more chance the italians would have..we were BEAT ,2-1 & they hit the woodwork twice..we played 25 minutes v HONDURAS, against 10 men,playing the same "attacking" style & could not get a shot on target!!! also hodgson substitutions never seem to change us for the better..we score far more goals 1 st half than 2 nd..which could well mean,the other team works out hodgson tactics 1st half & changes them 2nd..you dont see hodgsons tactical changes really working

Rooney isn't a bad player but he has no place in this system, it's like if Southend wanted to play like Barcelona and then started wondering why Corr isn't scoring goals anymore. No matter how rated the player is in the team he should not be played in a system he does not fit in. Rooney doesn't fit our system so he shouldn't play. Baines looked bad because Rooney wasn't providing cover like he was supposed to, and that's because Rooney isn't the type of player that provides cover.

Why on earth is England's best player and 5th highest scorer being played out wide and instructed to help out the full back,He will never score doing that donkey work.Roy got it wrong with his system IMO.

Gerrard despite those stats was IMO ineffective,He looked leggy after 25 minutes and he did not make many telling passes,Most professional holding midfielders will commit fouls or was the fact simply because the game passed him by?,We need far more than what he offered to get out of the group.

That's true. It's because most of them aren't as good as Gerrard. Personally I don't want holding midfielders giving away free kicks around our box.

He reads the game so well he rarely needs to foul. Most times he doesn't even need to tackle because he nicks the ball off the attacker before they realise, and have a chance to dive.

IMO Hodgson had two years to find a settled side. Yet the squad and team was littered with inexperience at international level.
As I said at the beginning - the World Cup is no place for too many kids. However, well we played against Italy - we lost. Last night, apart from a few minutes after the our goal - a draw looked the most we could hope for.
As unpopular as they are, I think James Milner, a Carrrick or even Lampard would have nullified both Italy and Uruguay (though Suarez is different class).
I am fairly certain that both Italy and Uruguay looked at our team and were not at all concerned about playing Sterling, Henderson, Wellbeck..or even Sturridge over 90 minutes.
We will never know. But the admiration of an opening game 1-2 defeat was a bit silly.
Now we go home.

Two years to harden those brittle youngsters? We could look good in Euro's!

Final point as it is all academic now. If you are the England manager and you are drawn to face Italy and Uruguay - you have to pick up the phone to the best central defender we have and ask him to reconsider. Without JT? Well, we saw how it has gone.

IMO Hodgson had two years to find a settled side. Yet the squad and team was littered with inexperience at international level.
As I said at the beginning - the World Cup is no place for too many kids. However, well we played against Italy - we lost. Last night, apart from a few minutes after the our goal - a draw looked the most we could hope for.
As unpopular as they are, I think James Milner, a Carrrick or even Lampard would have nullified both Italy and Uruguay (though Suarez is different class).
I am fairly certain that both Italy and Uruguay looked at our team and were not at all concerned about playing Sterling, Henderson, Wellbeck..or even Sturridge over 90 minutes.
We will never know. But the admiration of an opening game 1-2 defeat was a bit silly.
Now we go home.

Two years to harden those brittle youngsters? We could look good in Euro's!

Everyone was calling on Hodgson to drop the failed 'golden generation' and take the youngsters. He did that, by and large, and now people are saying we should've played the old guard. Damned if you do...

We were never going to win this tournament. At least those youngsters now have major tournament experience, which they can use in two years time.

Oh and I very much doubt that playing Carrick or Lampard would've made much difference. Milner maybe should've been given some time, but ultimately we got done by two world-class strikers.

Final point as it is all academic now. If you are the England manager and you are drawn to face Italy and Uruguay - you have to pick up the phone to the best central defender we have and ask him to reconsider. Without JT? Well, we saw how it has gone.

I agree with your first post, but Terry struggled at times last season in the Chelsea team ( from some games I saw on tv ) and really don't think he would have coped any better than Cahill did with Suarez.
All about opinions , but I think Hodgson picked the best CB's he has , although IMO they are both very far away from being of top international standard.

Everyone was calling on Hodgson to drop the failed 'golden generation' and take the youngsters. He did that, by and large, and now people are saying we should've played the old guard. Damned if you do...

We were never going to win this tournament. At least those youngsters now have major tournament experience, which they can use in two years time.

Oh and I very much doubt that playing Carrick or Lampard would've made much difference. Milner maybe should've been given some time, but ultimately we got done by two world-class strikers.

And one very much sub-world class - despite the hype - midfielder.

Back