• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England v Costa Rica

Engerland....Engerland....Engerland....

• Total voters
The day Jonjo Shelvey starts in an England midfield is the day I give up on the national team entirely. What a dismally average footballer that kid is.

The day Jonjo Shelvey starts in an England midfield is the day I give up on the national team entirely. What a dismally average footballer that kid is.

I think he has potential though. When he plays well for the Swans he runs the game. 2 years from now every chance he will be in the Euro's squad

I think ESB is right though. At the moment he's well short of England and International class. He might have potential but we can't just be picking every English youngster and giving them a go, as Mrsblue is proposing. If he's improved in 2 years then pick him for the Euros by all means, but there's probably 20 English midfielders I'd pick before him right now.

I think he has potential though. When he plays well for the Swans he runs the game. 2 years from now every chance he will be in the Euro's squad

There's potential there, but he needs to realise it and I'm hugely sceptical about his ability to do so. He doesn't strike me as having the personality to knuckle down and really work on his game - like Henderson has at Liverpool - which probably goes a long way to explain Rodgers not exactly standing in his way when he wanted to move. I think he's loose and reckless in possession and is nowhere near calm and collected enough on the ball to play his position well at international level. Players like Wilshere, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Barkley are all exceptionally better prospects than him, and at younger ages.

There's potential there, but he needs to realise it and I'm hugely sceptical about his ability to do so. He doesn't strike me as having the personality to knuckle down and really work on his game - like Henderson has at Liverpool - which probably goes a long way to explain Rodgers not exactly standing in his way when he wanted to move. I think he's loose and reckless in possession and is nowhere near calm and collected enough on the ball to play his position well at international level. Players like Wilshere, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Barkley are all exceptionally better prospects than him, and at younger ages.

Agree with Ox and Barkley. I think Wilshere is F'd, injuries have done him. I make Paul Scholes right when saying he hasn't improved since he burst on to the scene, this season he progressively got worse. You're right he does need to mature but he has the potential the be twice the player Henderson ever will be. That goal against Villa, Jordan Henderson is simply not capable of.

Agree with Ox and Barkley. I think Wilshere is F'd, injuries have done him. I make Paul Scholes right when saying he hasn't improved since he burst on to the scene, this season he progressively got worse. You're right he does need to mature but he has the potential the be twice the player Henderson ever will be. That goal against Villa, Jordan Henderson is simply not capable of.

People said the same about Ramsey when he first returned from his injury, predicting that he'd never reach his potential as a result and his first steps back were tentative at best. Doesn't seem to have done him much harm now, mind. He's 22, to suggest his legs have gone is a substantial leap to make. Granted he needs a solid season without an extensive lay-off, but it's clear to all around that he's a vastly talented player of great potential.

And I'm not having it that Shelvey has the potential to be twice the player Henderson is. Henderson's only two years older and was a teammate's hilarious slip away from anchoring a Premier League-winning midfield. Shelvey netted a decent strike against a team that last looked motivated for anything other than 16th place in 1982.

Shelvey played for England at every youth level and scored a couple of cracking goals for Swansea last season, I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him given a go in the next friendly. He could give us that bit of bite and nastiness that we lack in the middle. Never really got a proper chance at Liverpool.

Shelvey played for England at every youth level and scored a couple of cracking goals for Swansea last season, I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him given a go in the next friendly. He could give us that bit of bite and nastiness that we lack in the middle. Never really got a proper chance at Liverpool.

May not have done much good for Uruguay.

People said the same about Ramsey when he first returned from his injury, predicting that he'd never reach his potential as a result and his first steps back were tentative at best. Doesn't seem to have done him much harm now, mind. He's 22, to suggest his legs have gone is a substantial leap to make. Granted he needs a solid season without an extensive lay-off, but it's clear to all around that he's a vastly talented player of great potential.

And I'm not having it that Shelvey has the potential to be twice the player Henderson is. Henderson's only two years older and was a teammate's hilarious slip away from anchoring a Premier League-winning midfield. Shelvey netted a decent strike against a team that last looked motivated for anything other than 16th place in 1982.

Ramsey was just one bad injury though.. Wilshere doesn't stop getting knocks him having a season without missing 10+ games highly unlikely. He's had too much football too young, same as Owen.

Liverpool were only in the position they were due to Suarez anyway, their midfield run by Gerrard who some say had his best season to date. Henderson did good for Liverpool, he did OK for England I think that's all he is ever going to be, an alright footballer. Shelvey, capable of brilliance, (doesn't matter who that goal was against it was first class) he is on the ball more, scores a few goals and as I said before when he is playing well he runs the game. Occasional slip up, against Liverpool he gave them their 2 goals but also scored and created Swansea's 2nd.

Ramsey was just one bad injury though.. Wilshere doesn't stop getting knocks him having a season without missing 10+ games highly unlikely. He's had too much football too young, same as Owen.

Liverpool were only in the position they were due to Suarez anyway, their midfield run by Gerrard who some say had his best season to date. Henderson did good for Liverpool, he did OK for England I think that's all he is ever going to be, an alright footballer. Shelvey, capable of brilliance, (doesn't matter who that goal was against it was first class) he is on the ball more, scores a few goals and as I said before when he is playing well he runs the game. Occasional slip up, against Liverpool he gave them their 2 goals but also scored and created Swansea's 2nd.

But you can't rely on him to be consistent in not giving the ball away cheaply.......and that is a must at international level.

But you can't rely on him to be consistent in not giving the ball away cheaply.......and that is a must at international level.

This. People are clamouring for Shelvey because of a purple patch he had for about 8/10 games last season in which he scored a couple of excellently executed goals and dominated games against teams of a similar ilk to Swansea. But he fails to do it over a sustained period of time, and against the big clubs with strong midfields of their own. He showed the same flashes of excellence at Liverpool, but his lack of consistency in the 50 ish games he played for them, and his inability to make an impact when playing against decent opposition is why they let him go.

Liverpool were at their best when Jordan Henderson was in the team last year, he managed to show a consistancy over a sustained period of time and perform against all oppoisition, not just the lesser sides. It's no coincidence that they lost form at the end of the season when he was out suspended. I'd even argue he was actually better when Gerrard wasn't in the team, as it allowed him to express the creative side of his game that Gerrard's role generally took. And he grew as a player as the season went on.

Shelvey can be excellent in patches, against lesser opposition but he lacks the ability to do it again, and again, and again, and against the big teams / better players.

I'd love him to progress and prove us wrong as we're desperately short in that position, but he needs to prove he is capable at club level before he can be considered an international solution.

Another point, people point to Gerrard's mistakes as proof of his decline, but that's because his mistakes were in two of the highest profile games of the season. A Liverpool fan in my office just pointed out that in Shelvey's first real big game for Swansea (against Liverpool) he was at fault for both Liverpool goals, but because it's Swansea's, his balls up's aren't subject to the scrutiny that say Gerrard's would be. In the interest of balance, he did also score that day, 2-2 drew.

Back