• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Not to do with the "work" going on near FF but this is related.

"Rumours" surfaced a few weeks back that Sainsbury are "reviewing" their involvement in the whole project. Well this would appear to be more than just a rumour...

I have heard this from a couple of very well placed people now and may go some way to explain the further delays.

It seems the new guy at Sainsbury is going through all their projects with a fine tooth comb and they maybe changing their strategy towards more "convenience" type stores, than big supermarkets. In an attempt to claw back some of the market share from budget supermarket places like Lidl and Aldi.

What that means for us I don't know. But things are certainly not running to plan at the moment clearly. I believe there is a special board meeting in the next week or so to discuss...

Hopefully these issues can be addressed and things can get moving sharpish. But at the moment I am very concerned that the whole project is very close to collapse.

Well, if it all goes tits up, and we become AFC Southend, then I'll happily design and build us a new stadium for a decent price :winking:

I have suspected for a while that it is Sainsburys who are holding up progress on the development - given the change of leadership and the Aldi / Lidl effect to their business.

Just hope that there is a clause in the contract that if they do pull out, money already recieved by the Club for the purchase of Roots Hall are forfeit....

I have suspected for a while that it is Sainsburys who are holding up progress on the development - given the change of leadership and the Aldi / Lidl effect to their business.

Just hope that there is a clause in the contract that if they do pull out, money already recieved by the Club for the purchase of Roots Hall are forfeit....

Hopefully it won't come to that.

But let's hope if there are issues financially, that Ron bites the bullet and invites outside investment in return for a slice of the Ron pie.

"Rumours" surfaced a few weeks back that Sainsbury are "reviewing" their involvement in the whole project. Well this would appear to be more than just a rumour...

I have heard this from a couple of very well placed people now and may go some way to explain the further delays.

It seems the new guy at Sainsbury is going through all their projects with a fine tooth comb and they maybe changing their strategy towards more "convenience" type stores, than big supermarkets. In an attempt to claw back some of the market share from budget supermarket places like Lidl and Aldi.

What that means for us I don't know. But things are certainly not running to plan at the moment clearly. I believe there is a special board meeting in the next week or so to discuss...

Hopefully these issues can be addressed and things can get moving sharpish. But at the moment I am very concerned that the whole project is very close to collapse.

Careful Smiffy. I have alluded to this possibility for some considerable time but only get accused of defending RM when I suggest delays could be due to Sainsburys.

Whatever the case its becoming a long, tedious and sad affair and I hope someone comes out soon with some truths so that we at least know what the future may hold.

Lets all hope that things are not as bad as they possibly could be. UTB.

Careful Smiffy. I have alluded to this possibility for some considerable time but only get accused of defending RM when I suggest delays could be due to Sainsburys.

Whatever the case its becoming a long, tedious and sad affair and I hope someone comes out soon with some truths so that we at least know what the future may hold.

I'm sure Ron is not blameless in all this mess mate.

But yes, it would appear Sainsbury are not completely blameless either.

Either way they are all to blame and quite frankly it is a complete shambles and us fans are the ones that suffer.

It is downright disrespectful that there has been no "announcement" since the latest deadline came and went.....AGAIN....

I'm sure Ron is not blameless in all this mess mate.

But yes, it would appear Sainsbury are not completely blameless either.

Either way they are all to blame and quite frankly it is a complete shambles and us fans are the ones that suffer.

It is downright disrespectful that there has been no "announcement" since the latest deadline came and went.....AGAIN....

I have to agree with the points you have made.

Talking about possible Sainsbury's reticence corncerning the development of FF reminded me that they were involved in another project with Bristol Rovers. Thought I'd just check and see how that was progressing , particularly as Rovers have dropped out of the League. I found this......don't know whether it's been mentioned elsewhere? OK the reasons given don't appear to be financial..........there again............

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-27762836

This statement is probably the closest to the truth that we have ever had. Its been a very long time since RM was in control of this project. We are at the mercy of Sainsburys and I would be very suprised if the monies already loaned to the club will be written off if Sainsbury's pull the plug. A new chapter in our clubs history is about to unfold.

I think Smiffy has it spot on.

It's been well known for some time that all major supermarket chains, not just Sainsbury's, are reviewing their major out of town store projects and developments. When Sainsbury's came on board there wasn't the public demand for a more local and convenience based shopping experience. That has all changed in the seven years or so and the major outlet developers are changing their corporate strategies to reflect that change in customer demand. I'll give you the old Big Yellow Self Storage building at the bottom of progress road as an example. I live around the corner and this is what I was told, so don't shoot the messenger. When they moved to their new premises at the top of Progress Road it was Morrisons that initially had dibs on the old site and sought development permission for a large retail store. That too took an age to go through the various stages (due in part I'm led to believe because of the difficult parking restrictions involved in having a large retail outlet on that site) during which time the market changed and they eventually pulled out. The site is now again under offer.

You only have to look at the amount of Sainburiy's,Tesco, Aldi and Morrisons local convenience stores that have opened in the last few years in the town to see that this is the way in which our fast paced hectic shopping habits are heading.

As I said at that time, until any information becomes available you cant start blaming 3rd parties, there was circumstantial evidence at best then. You also made a point of apporting blame to the council as well remember.

I think the important thing is to wait until we have facts before making any judgements based on Smiffys post. Smiffy is well informed so I certainly dont dismiss it either.

They have just agreed the Bristol Rovers development so at that point their strategy still allowed for large stores, it may well have changed since.

If Sainsbury do decide to pull the plug that raises a lot of questions, the main one being who actually owns Roots Hall....

As I said at that time, until any information becomes available you cant start blaming 3rd parties, there was circumstantial evidence at best then. You also made a point of apporting blame to the council as well remember.

I think the important thing is to wait until we have facts before making any judgements based on Smiffys post. Smiffy is well informed so I certainly dont dismiss it either.

They have just agreed the Bristol Rovers development so at that point their strategy still allowed for large stores, it may well have changed since.

If Sainsbury do decide to pull the plug that raises a lot of questions, the main one being who actually owns Roots Hall....

The interesting thing is that Sainsburys have done very little maintenance/improvement work on the Southend London Road store, and according to some of the staff that is because of the impending new store at RH. The nearest big Sainsburys is therefore the one at Rayleigh Weir leaving Southend wanting on the big store front. I think the project is nowhere near dead yet chaps, but we will just have to wait and see because nobody who is qualified to do so is going to tell us anything.

IF this does happen, I believe it will not be Sainsbury and certainly not RM or any of his companies due to a legal agreement with another individual.

Yawnnnnnnnnnnnnn!! You fools that believe this need to take a long hard look at yourself.

WHY!? I make my own choice whether to believe or not. it's certainly not up to people like you on an Internet forum to decide one way or another. IM LOOKING AT MYSELF AND I AM PROUD

WHY!? I make my own choice whether to believe or not. it's certainly not up to people like you on an Internet forum to decide one way or another. IM LOOKING AT MYSELF AND I AM PROUD
You are proud that you support Ron Martin and his lies the ground will not get built any time in the near future! Ever since Tilson left the ground has been in doubt! He would have built it himself

IF this does happen, I believe it will not be Sainsbury and certainly not RM or any of his companies due to a legal agreement with another individual.

Interesting.... any further light you can shed on that Smiffy?

Back