• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sterling/Sturridge/Rooney/Wellbeck
Hurst/Corr/Straker.

Phill Brown has stated on numerous occassions we play 3 forwards.

In both systems attacking players have defensive duties.

Dont let facts get in the way though.

Haha,

Strakes and Hursty were in the real world wing backs,My idea of strikers is they are in the vicinity of the opponents goal not defending their own third.Phil plays 451 with the WB's trying to support the forward.

Haha,

Strakes and Hursty were in the real world wing backs,My idea of strikers is they are in the vicinity of the opponents goal not defending their own third.Phil plays 451 with the WB's trying to support the forward.

Hurst scoring double figures from wing back is pretty impressive.

Your idea of strikers seems a little dated. Most teams play with 1 out and out striker up front these days with wide players and false nines etc expected to do more than be in the penalty box all the time.

certain people dont seem to grasp the difference/possible difference between a striker and a forward. nor the difference between a wide forward and a wing back.

Hurst scoring double figures from wing back is pretty impressive.

Your idea of strikers seems a little dated. Most teams play with 1 out and out striker up front these days with wide players and false nines etc expected to do more than be in the penalty box all the time.

You are right thats how modern teams tend to play but it is only effective if the main one up front is particularly adept at the job and the two supporting players can chip in regularly. For me Corr will always do better with a player alongside him in a 4-4-2 which makes his game outdated by your reasoning.

If PB wants to play the 'modern' way then he has to assemble the personnel capable of doing it to a level that can get us promotion. If not then he has to tailor the tactics to best suit the team and as up to now the tactic has met with failure he either has the wrong tactics or wrong players.

certain people dont seem to grasp the difference/possible difference between a striker and a forward. nor the difference between a wide forward and a wing back.

Just like those who think Phil took this job because of FF!

Now that is plain silly.

Barnard could play either side of Corr in 433
However lets see what happens in the friendlies
at the moment two players I am looking forward to at GWR are Eliis Brown and Craig Fagan
lets give everyone one a chance and get our happy positive shrimpers heads on!

Barnard could play either side of Corr in 433
However lets see what happens in the friendlies
at the moment two players I am looking forward to at GWR are Eliis Brown and Craig Fagan
lets give everyone one a chance and get our happy positive shrimpers heads on!

Barnard could be put on the pitch either side of Corr but it would be pointless. LB's game is not what is required in that formation.

depends what you want. his attacking instinct would be ideal to ghost in at the far post for example.

Haha,

So we played full backs and wingbacks? Did you say you have played the game?

Haha,

I agree with this, we are deffo 4-5-1 and wing backs often chip in with a few goals but we do lack a decent strike partnership, can't help thinking we are trying to adopt tactics better suited to higher class players who can read the game, what's wrong with a good old 4-4-2 ?

I agree with this, we are deffo 4-5-1 and wing backs often chip in with a few goals but we do lack a decent strike partnership, can't help thinking we are trying to adopt tactics better suited to higher class players who can read the game, what's wrong with a good old 4-4-2 ?

You have now made the experts on here choke on their sandwich as many think its 433 and wing backs don't exist.

You have now made the experts on here choke on their sandwich as many think its 433 and wing backs don't exist.
The problem is we have actually played half arsed 4-3-3 and 4-5-1, the wingbacks seem confused, oh yes that's because PB's told them they are forwards :smile:

The problem is we have actually played half arsed 4-3-3 and 4-5-1, the wingbacks seem confused, oh yes that's because PB's told them they are forwards :smile:

Agreed,

Guy I feel sorry is Corr!Often isolated and simply lacks the pace to get up the pitch so rarely can hold it up and we give easy possession away.

442 works for me,

If Phil had 2 constant strikers up the pitch it would force the opposition to retain 3/4 or possibly 5 defenders back,Sadly with the lone man Corr the opponent retains 2 defenders thus allowing the rest of their team to track our third.

Wing backs exist but generally in a system with 5 at the back or 3 at the back depending on your perspective, basically 3 centre halves and 2 wing backs. Just because Strakes and Hurst did defensive duties does not make them wing backs, fluidity is common in today’s game but plenty of midfield and advanced players cover defensive duties when full backs get forward, Raheem Sterling will cover the advancing Glen Johnson for example, this doesn’t make Raheem Sterling a wing back. Mrs Blue can you give me that example of a team that plays full backs and wing backs with the players who fill those roles?

Back