• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Anyway , we've only got 2 first team CB's , so we can't play with three CB's and 2 wing backs................:stunned:

I have been considering our back options and at the moment I would play Thommo at right back and JW in the centre back with Luke and Cokes on the left.
I think the other option of keeping JW on the side may leave us too lacking on experience/judgement in a more important area.

I have been considering our back options and at the moment I would play Thommo at right back and JW in the centre back with Luke and Cokes on the left.
I think the other option of keeping JW on the side may leave us too lacking on experience/judgement in a more important area.

So play a right back at centreback and a centre back at right back?

Sorry but thats a major step back from last years defence.

Id rather we went and signed a centreback.

Adam Thompson has more experience than Sokolik and Egan combined.

I believe both have played in those "changed" positions before & with the current squad is an option that could be trialled pre season; and give cover/options.
And I would rather we signed 2 centre backs.

To answer someone's earlier tongue in cheek question...no, wing backs do not exist. A wing back is simply a full back asked to get forward more often, and given the additional back up of an extra central defender sweeping up behind him....but he's still a full back, still asked to cover the same areas, be available in the same places, provide cover in the same areas....many people think a full back that has a great engine and overlaps a lot is a wing back....he's not, he's a full back that overlaps a lot!

Similar to how there is no difference between a winger and a wide midfielder...it's just a guy covering one side of the pitch...whether he's asked to hug the touchline or play further in, he's still just a wide midfielder who may be asked or naturally inclined to play in different ways.

Football is a very simple game, generally complicated by people who don't understand how simple it is (and often those people are on a TV panel of "experts"?

To answer someone's earlier tongue in cheek question...no, wing backs do not exist. A wing back is simply a full back asked to get forward more often, and given the additional back up of an extra central defender sweeping up behind him....but he's still a full back, still asked to cover the same areas, be available in the same places, provide cover in the same areas....many people think a full back that has a great engine and overlaps a lot is a wing back....he's not, he's a full back that overlaps a lot!

Similar to how there is no difference between a winger and a wide midfielder...it's just a guy covering one side of the pitch...whether he's asked to hug the touchline or play further in, he's still just a wide midfielder who may be asked or naturally inclined to play in different ways.

Football is a very simple game, generally complicated by people who don't understand how simple it is (and often those people are on a TV panel of "experts"?
Absolute rubbish, a wing back sits higher up the pitch, when they hold their position properly it creates a real headache for the opposition as neither the wide midfielder or full back know which one should be picking them up hence why it's a 3-5-1 formation. I used it for 5 years only losing 4 games, critical that the wingback is capable of getting up and down the line, they need to be super fit and strong.

Absolute rubbish, a wing back sits higher up the pitch, when they hold their position properly it creates a real headache for the opposition as neither the wide midfielder or full back know which one should be picking them up hence why it's a 3-5-1 formation. I used it for 5 years only losing 4 games, critical that the wingback is capable of getting up and down the line, they need to be super fit and strong.

Expect a call from Real Madrid any day then #worldclassmanager

Expect a call from Real Madrid any day then #worldclassmanager
The opposition wasn't quite world class !!!! I still had the odd player having a crafty fag at half time so make what you will about the standard but it confused the hell out of the other teams as they all stuck to 4-4-2 :smile:

And you probably wouldn't even have lost those 4 if you'd remembered to pick eleven players.

my 1.2 penneth
J White is more of a traditional full back, Clohessy is the modern type full back which is effectively a wing-back. White defends more, SC attacks more.
i don't think wing-backs need 352, just to bomb on more

Back