• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

another one lost, to a non league club now as well, still I think we would of only gave him a year so probley the best move for him as I can see them walking the conference.

On paper, maybe, but a lot of clubs have thought that in the not too distant past; the Conference is littered with ex-League clubs who were 'too big to go down', 'will bounce straight back up' or 'see it as an opportunity to re-group/rebuild and push on'. You're probably right that they'll walk it if they get everything right but last season they must have got a fair bit wrong to be where they are and the Conference is a tough league to get out of, harder than League 2, and we know how hard that is... :winking:.

mate just put on facebook that he's just dropped Sylvestre Guyonnet to Boots and Laces for his trial. Said he seemed a really decent fella

On paper, maybe, but a lot of clubs have thought that in the not too distant past; the Conference is littered with ex-League clubs who were 'too big to go down', 'will bounce straight back up' or 'see it as an opportunity to re-group/rebuild and push on'. You're probably right that they'll walk it if they get everything right but last season they must have got a fair bit wrong to be where they are and the Conference is a tough league to get out of, harder than League 2, and we know how hard that is... :winking:.

Above. That. Spot on.

Big couple of days ahead for a number of people at Southend I would have thought with the game against Ipswich tomorrow.

Having 30 to 40 minutes on the pitch must be like having an interview for that time - but instead of it being in a room there are a few hundred and more watching. :unsure:

Quite daunting I would have thought but good luck to them and I hope that we end up with at least one central defender showing that he has the quality required for the coming season. :thumbsup:

Well they had no trouble getting out of League 2 last season did they?

Chris Phillips tweeted that we have 3 central midfielders on trial now - Gary Deegan (ex Coventry and Northampton), Patrick Cregg (Falkirk and St.Johnstone among others) and Ross Jenkins (formerly of Watford). Don't think we really need midfielders but with Timlin missing the start of the season I suppose one more couldn't hurt.

Chris Phillips tweeted that we have 3 central midfielders on trial now - Gary Deegan (ex Coventry and Northampton), Patrick Cregg (Falkirk and St.Johnstone among others) and Ross Jenkins (formerly of Watford). Don't think we really need midfielders but with Timlin missing the start of the season I suppose one more couldn't hurt.

I think we could do with a defensive midfielder to provide a platform for Leonard, Clifford, Atkinson and/or Timlin. Someone who allows all of them to play with a bit more freedom.

I don't remember such a flurry of trialists...........I'm just hoping, with all this activity, we shall end up with at least a few signings over the next week or so. CP tweeting that Layne hasn't yet signed. PB.........."there are still conversations to be had."

I think we could do with a defensive midfielder to provide a platform for Leonard, Clifford, Atkinson and/or Timlin. Someone who allows all of them to play with a bit more freedom.

I'd agree with that. Atkinson out of the three isnt really an attacking player, but not a defensive one either really. The other two I'd like to see given more freedom to get forward.

Then it depends on whether we stick to 3 central midfielders or go to 442.

I agree with that - more of a sweeper perhaps especially if we end up with 5 in midfield and 1 up front - when we are in possession the 5th midfielder pushes on (a la Tomlin) and the remaining midfield can support the attack safe(ish) in the knowledge that there is someone behind them should possession be lost.

A bit of panic when I read the name Ross Jenkins, something twigged in my memory. Looked him up and found that he is the second Ross Jenkins to play football for Watford. The one that I remembered played for them between 1972 and 1983. Wasn't that the time Watford were our bogey side, especially in the Cup......think that's why the name caused me some anxiety!

Quite possibly but with only a few days before the season starts there will be players (and their agents) who will be looking for firm offers from league clubs.

Also , these are not really just 'our' trialists.
Yes , they are having a trial playing for Southend , but these games can ( and will ) be watched by other interested clubs.
So if someone does well , I would suggest PB / Ron have a contract waiting after the game.
Nothing stopping any of them coming off and signing for someone else.

A bit of panic when I read the name Ross Jenkins, something twigged in my memory. Looked him up and found that he is the second Ross Jenkins to play football for Watford. The one that I remembered played for them between 1972 and 1983. Wasn't that the time Watford were our bogey side, especially in the Cup......think that's why the name caused me some anxiety!

Oh yes you are so right. Really lofty and if I recall a ginger merchant that terrorised defences. Part of a good outfit at the time. Seem to think alongside luther Blissett .

Back