• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Not sure about the rave reviews on Percil, I thought he was OK but tried to do too much at times and was very one-footed. If he hadn't have set up the third with an admittedly very good piece of play I think he'd have been sent on his way at the end of the game.

Wasn't really looking out for Isaac Lane, in the second half Billericay's best player was their number 2 with the dreadlocks.

The official team sheet made me laugh, absolutely riddled with errors and obviously put together by a 15-year-old on work experience.

The official team sheet made me laugh, absolutely riddled with errors and obviously put together by a 15-year-old on work experience.

...or whoever appears as our Media Manager from time to time - usually the same thing.

Is it just me that wasn't that impressed with Percil then?

He has some potential and likes to run down the wing but I don't think I saw him go down the line and cross it once. Always seemed to want to cut in onto his right foot. Took Billericay a while to work this out but don't think he'd get away with it in League 2.

Hurst's control and goal were class. Plenty of dodgy looking tackles going on in the second half. First half was substantially better than the second. I think Payne tried to impress a little bit too much. If he stops rushing about so much he could have a good season

Percil looked like someone who hadnt played much league football which obvioulsy he hasnt. He didnt have the nous or intelligence of Hurst, but perhaps some potential to work with? After all, isnt it the job of a manager to improve the players he signs?
I think the game higlighted a need for another centre mid as well as the obvious centre back and striker. If Leonard and/or Timlin get injured we will be in trouble. Clifford was pretty woeful and Payne is too lightweight. Surprised we havent had any central mids on trial yet.

...or whoever appears as our Media Manager from time to time - usually the same thing.

Ooh thats harsh.

Its Tom Biggs isnt it ?

Our media content has come on leaps and bounds I thought since he joined.

Percil looked like someone who hadnt played much league football which obvioulsy he hasnt. He didnt have the nous or intelligence of Hurst, but perhaps some potential to work with? After all, isnt it the job of a manager to improve the players he signs?
I think the game higlighted a need for another centre mid as well as the obvious centre back and striker. If Leonard and/or Timlin get injured we will be in trouble. Clifford was pretty woeful and Payne is too lightweight. Surprised we havent had any central mids on trial yet.

As you say we have Clifford and Payne, and as the latter has just been handed a new deal you have to think he is part of Browns plans and both can certainly provide cover. Cant see us needing more than 5 central midfielders and not sure we will get a better option to come in and sit on the bench. O'Toole would have been a nice addition, but that would have been at the expense of one of the current 1st team players rather than as back up.

Ooh thats harsh.

Its Tom Biggs isnt it ?

As you say we have Clifford and Payne, and as the latter has just been handed a new deal you have to think he is part of Browns plans and both can certainly provide cover. Cant see us needing more than 5 central midfielders and not sure we will get a better option to come in and sit on the bench. O'Toole would have been a nice addition, but that would have been at the expense of one of the current 1st team players rather than as back up.

Didn't we have a bloke called Laird who, imo, is/was a country mile better than Payne/Clifford ?

Certainly even more obvious seeing that Thompson was out again with a back problem. Does anyone remember what his injury was last year and if it was related to the present one?

I was pleasantly surprised with Payne last night, his first touch was really good, especially given established pro's such as Weston was struggling with the bobbly pitch. He was positive, beat his man a couple of times and looked tidy. Took charge of set pieces. He'd actually more decent as the right side of the front three than central midfield, so as long as he's disciplined in getting back to support White (who doesn't really bomb forward anyway) I think he could actually make an impact this year, even if from the bench.

I like the look of Fagan, plays with his head and you can tell he's played at the top level. Doesn't give the ball away and when he's on the ball I won't to sit up and watch him.

Intelligent as well as he's just doing enough in these games, as there was some awful tackles going in against Wakering and Billericay now and he's not going to get himself injured and risk not getting a deal.

On that subject, do these players not realise by us taking a team there for a friendly, I use the word 'friendly' loosely as they are glorified fundraisers, that we're doing them the favour?

Leonard, Corr, Atkinson and Payne last night all on the receiving end of some shocking tackles.

It definitely has, with the exception of our tendency to #CopyLiverpoolAgain

On that subject, do these players not realise by us taking a team there for a friendly, I use the word 'friendly' loosely as they are glorified fundraisers, that we're doing them the favour?

Leonard, Corr, Atkinson and Payne last night all on the receiving end of some shocking tackles.

There's intentionally going out to injure someone, which I don't doubt will appeal to some of those that frequent the non-league scene, and there's been a second slower than professional players, which makes tackles seem much, much worse. I can only think of one friendly in recent years where the attitude of the opposition was publicly questioned by who was in charge of us at the time - Salisbury, the year Mohsni had to be subbed for his own good - and we haven't been back there since. The fact we're more than happy to frequent Billericay and Wakering would suggest there's little malice in it.

I do wonder if some of the challenges mightve been in response to a bit of showboating from 2 or 3 of our players.

It definitely has, with the exception of our tendency to #CopyLiverpoolAgain

There's intentionally going out to injure someone, which I don't doubt will appeal to some of those that frequent the non-league scene, and there's been a second slower than professional players, which makes tackles seem much, much worse. I can only think of one friendly in recent years where the attitude of the opposition was publicly questioned by who was in charge of us at the time - Salisbury, the year Mohsni had to be subbed for his own good - and we haven't been back there since. The fact we're more than happy to frequent Billericay and Wakering would suggest there's little malice in it.

There's also this stigma when smaller clubs play bigger sides, that because there's a lack in ability, they need to let the bigger side 'let them know they're there'. So they intentionally go in hard to ruffle some feathers to try and level out the gap in ability; almost an inferiortiy complex.

It certainly felt like that was Billericay's game plan last night anyway.

I like the look of Fagan, plays with his head and you can tell he's played at the top level. Doesn't give the ball away and when he's on the ball I won't to sit up and watch him.

Intelligent as well as he's just doing enough in these games, as there was some awful tackles going in against Wakering and Billericay now and he's not going to get himself injured and risk not getting a deal.

Players who have performed at a higher level are not always a good fit for a lower division side, it can create problems when the lesser players aren't on the same wavelength as they can't read the game as well, not saying that will be the case but it does happen a lot. I remember Dougie getting very frustrated at times by those around him and the one that really sticks in my mind is Neville Southall, he used to shake his head in disbelief at times seeing what was going on in front of him.

Southend United: P Smith (Bentley 56), Auger (Brown 72), Aslam (Banton 56), Prosser (White 56), Coker (Hoyte 46), Hurst (Atkinson 60), Clifford (Wilson 60), Timlin (Leonard 60), Percil (Fagan 60), Corr (Barnard 51), Weston (Payne 60)

Who is Wilson?

Who is Wilson?

CheWilson_561674.jpg

How soon we forget....:nope:

Back