• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

know the feeling,happened to me many a time!!!Only goes to prove,what we both think!!,the police force needs better eye testing....
Yeah ask the dozen or so who got nicked at Brentford in 73 , and SS and BH who got three months for nothing . Sargent Fishwick you were a lying git .

..the first time was, i think, was january 1st 74 ???leigh comm & the "rookery"...

'We are the 10 who took the Watford end', was the chant the elite few from Leigh sang for the rest of the season.
Remember in 1976 or 77 about 40 of us met at Leigh station, got off at Euston Square on the Underground for Euston main station. Stormed through the ticket gates and TJ gave the collector some loose change for our fare!.
Watford High Street was the station nearest the ground (i think), but we went to Watford Junction and walked up through the Town centre to 'stretch our legs!'. Ended up at a pokey little pub opposite the away end.
Before the PC brigade comment on our adventures, just remember, that was how things were in those days.

'We are the 10 who took the Watford end', was the chant the elite few from Leigh sang for the rest of the season.
Remember in 1976 or 77 about 40 of us met at Leigh station, got off at Euston Square on the Underground for Euston main station. Stormed through the ticket gates and TJ gave the collector some loose change for our fare!.
Watford High Street was the station nearest the ground (i think), but we went to Watford Junction and walked up through the Town centre to 'stretch our legs!'. Ended up at a pokey little pub opposite the away end.
Before the PC brigade comment on our adventures, just remember, that was how things were in those days.

i ended up inthat crap pub as well!!!everytime we went to watford,it was ours...dont think anybody wanted it anyway..real crap,like the ground,town & fans..the next time(after the leigh cmm game),i decided do do the same thing ,with one or two others,hoping more leigh comm or blues fans turned up in the "rookery".on the way in,had a "meeting " with a few "hornets",which ended up ,me with a yellow/black scarf..but as we got to the turnstile,they started to go to the police,ended up ,rather sharpish,giving it back to him,saying i was only joking...got into the rookery,after about 15 mins was well "sussed"..started singing "southend" on my own,then from nowhere, 2 policeman grabbed hold of me and threw me out...was held on the side of the rookery,in a long wooden shed,till they had confirmed my name & addresss..then thrown out,told to go home,but went up the other end,where our fans started to arrive..on the way home,there was a bottle fight at euston sq,on the duel carridge way!!!!(if i remember correctly),between a few blues fans & arsenal!!!but no one was hurt.....mad days the 70s..thank god its better now.at euston,sq ,it was a few of us ,with a few from the "chestnut lads"

also remember coming back from one watford game,with a few..and Jimmy.c..had a newcastle badge on,and cockney reds went after him/us..load of them,going down the ,escalators,and one policeman came down alone...he saved our "bacon"..very brave officer

remember it like it was yesterday,one of the worst parts of it ,was how they "pressed"all those blues fans into that very small space.Everytime i went to watford,at least 3 times,there was always trouble caused by blues fans..the first time was, i think, was january 1st 74 ???leigh comm & the "rookery"...
Leigh Comm took five or six cars to Watford in Oct 72 and sorted Watford in the ground and outside too , I cant go in to details but some naughty things happend .

That was Jan 77 , I remember being in that pub and a lot of the windows getting broke , the guy behind the bar said that Elton John used to turn up at about 2-45 for the games . At about2-40 some of us decided to go down the ally by the ground to the Watford end , to see if we could get in the Rookery end , half way down a Bentley pulled up along side us and out jumped Elton ,after hand shakes all round and telling him his team were a load of w-----s he went into the ground , at the end of the day it was a good day out with some great friends , :happy:

And why is that ?
Genuine question, haven't tried the Saxon yet but likely to at some time

For me The Sax is a bit too much like a Tesco Pub, little character, homogenised, ok but that is only an early impression and it might settle down and develop/improve. Give it a try and please give me your thoughts.

If it's just a refurb, not a change of house, they should keep the same three ales they have on already. I don't think we'll be seeing much change there.

Back