• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A number of people have been saying Sainsbury are likely to pull out soon. It should come as no surprise when (if) they do. If it happens its not necessarily a bad thing. Change is good in our case and much needed....

Nothing will matter regarding safe standing when Sainsburys pull out at the end of the month.
Where does that leave the £5M already advanced, I assume Sainsbury's forfeit that, wonder if there are other penalties in the contract, is this why we don't appear to be under the same level of financial pressure as last year, do we have a short term windfall ?

Sorry mate but "wait and see" doesn't really cut it I'm afraid. If you know something then either back up with evidence or simply keep quiet otherwise you are no better than a rumour site.
This is quite a big statement you are making here.

Sorry can't reveal the source of this speculation. Next time I will keep it to myself and sit in ShrimperZone Towers with a smug grin on my face (or a sad face).

Tesco have announced they will build houses on some sites they purchased for stores, they are downsizing, can't see how Sainsbury's could do that with RH though as they haven't completed the purchase.

Sorry can't reveal the source of this speculation. Next time I will keep it to myself and sit in ShrimperZone Towers with a smug grin on my face (or a sad face).

Is that anything like Alton Towers ?
If so , can you let me know opening times and ticket prices please.
Thanks

Fair points,but if no one turns up and pays the management /shareholders would soon take action when the money dries up. Tesco's a case in point at the moment ,reduced takings and mass panic in the boardroom,
Actually, unless we happen to be shareholders then all we really are, are customers. Would you walk into Tescos and ask when their new store in Southend is going to be built, and why they didn't build at the old B&Q site? Would you tell them you deserve to be kept informed?

As much as we would like it to not be the case, the fact is that buying tickets to watch a football team doesn't make us part of the club.

Last edited:
Where does that leave the £5M already advanced, I assume Sainsbury's forfeit that, wonder if there are other penalties in the contract, is this why we don't appear to be under the same level of financial pressure as last year, do we have a short term windfall ?

If Sainsburys pull out then I would imagine they write off any sums paid.

Ron I would imagine is already hawking the idea around other retailers. I wouldn't imagine Tesco would be a prime candidate anymore given their news over the last few days but a site that size would be of interest to others I'm sure.

However, it means more delays for us. Not necessarily a good thing as it means more hand to mouth stuff for some time to come unless a replacement is found.

If they pull out, of course.

The South Essex University did want the London Road site for a new campus area; could they want at least part of the Roots Hall site? But Unis are under stress at present times too so it might not be possible for then now either.
Housing is a feasible route and with a site so large other infrastructure would be needed.
Firstly the story needs to be verified, if true Ron surely must give a press statement etc.
And what will our MP's say as a lot of jobs will be lost that have never got started ( does that make sense.):sad:

let's not make this a feeding frenzy people. Until there is firm news one way or another there is not much that we can do or worry about....................now where is that Shrimpers Trust disaster recovery plan? It's around somewhere:thumbsup:

Hopefully I will be proved wrong and building starts by the end of July 2014. Oops.

Well we already knew that everything was on hold whilst Sainsbury review their store building policy so it certainly comes to no surprised if the decision is no thanks.

Now only if we had been able to build the Stadium 5 years ago, or even 2 years ago, when Sainsbury didnt have that policy it would already been up.

It will be interesting to see how that affects everything. There is a massive debt to Sainsbury, but surely we cant be held liable for that if its them that pull out. Time will tell.

let's not make this a feeding frenzy people. Until there is firm news one way or another there is not much that we can do or worry about....................now where is that Shrimpers Trust disaster recovery plan? It's around somewhere:thumbsup:

Theres no reason to believe that this would mean the end. It could even result in us wiping a lot of debt and starting afresh. Who knows.

Well we already knew that everything was on hold whilst Sainsbury review their store building policy so it certainly comes to no surprised if the decision is no thanks.

Now only if we had been able to build the Stadium 5 years ago, or even 2 years ago, when Sainsbury didnt have that policy it would already been up.

It will be interesting to see how that affects everything. There is a massive debt to Sainsbury, but surely we cant be held liable for that if its them that pull out. Time will tell.

Theres no reason to believe that this would mean the end. It could even result in us wiping a lot of debt and starting afresh. Who knows.

Unless Ron has failed to meet certain contractual obligations, hopefully Sainsbury will write-off anything owed.

IF it all has gone titicus verticus, then this could be the forced change we need to push on. Sometimes you have to go backwards to go forwards.

It is clear Ron does not have the finance in place to bring the dream any closer to reality. So perhaps this will allow another party to come in and crack on.

Don't panic people, this could be just the tonic we need.

IIRC, RM used a piece of land he owns near Benfleet Station as security. If Sainsbury's pull out now I presume they'll have to kiss it goodbye.

IIRC, RM used a piece of land he owns near Benfleet Station as security. If Sainsbury's pull out now I presume they'll have to kiss it goodbye.

I would hope if Sainsbury do pull out they write off everything owed to them which would actually mean we have done ok out of the last few years.

Except if you play him you don't spend it!

But we have already budgeted for his salary at the worst case scenario. If we know we can afford it, then the decision to play him or not is based solely on whether or not it is best for the team since the manager is under the most pressure to get results, not to manage his budget.

Back