• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

That depends on what they perceive 'thr right opportunity' to be. For any business person to expect to see a return on any investment made to a football club (especially with the supporters expectations in the modern game) they would not do it as they would not see their money again,
Case in point is the chairman of Fleetwood town who told the football league show a few weeks ago that he has sunk approximately £15 million into that club just to get it into League One!:omg:

Fleetwood are a tiny club with tiny crowds so why anyone in their right mind would pump 15 mill is fairly comical unless they have other ulterior motives.

These owners are not silly .

Fleetwood are a tiny club with tiny crowds so why anyone in their right mind would pump 15 mill is fairly comical unless they have other ulterior motives.

That depends on how much money you've got, and your affiliation to the club in question. If he's worth the kind of money and can afford it, and is a lifelong fan then logic won't come into it.

I remember many many years ago watching "Have I Got News For You" when they mentioned that the Sultan of Brunei had just given £250,000 to a charity. Angus Deayton (shows how long ago this was!) then said that him giving that amount was like you and me giving 10p...then stingy *******.

The point is people like that live in a completely different world, and money doesn't have the same meaning as it does for us mere mortals.

Its all relevant though isnt it. Roman A is never going to recoup the GBP1billion plus that he has pumped into to Chelsea. The size of the bank account and as someone else said the "emotional" pull of a Club determines whether "owners" are prepared to pump (and lose) money in football clubs. Ive always stated, even if I won the EURO millions, of say above 50million I would never buy Southend, due mainly because invariably you would probably become hated by the fickle nature of football, however I actually probably would, if I could, help out my beloved Club wherever possible !

Look at Jack Walker, the main highlight of a local man investing in a Club he loves, not for a return, but because the love he had for Blackburn ran through his veins.

Its all relevant though isnt it. Roman A is never going to recoup the GBP1billion plus that he has pumped into to Chelsea. The size of the bank account and as someone else said the "emotional" pull of a Club determines whether "owners" are prepared to pump (and lose) money in football clubs. Ive always stated, even if I won the EURO millions, of say above 50million I would never buy Southend, due mainly because invariably you would probably become hated by the fickle nature of football, however I actually probably would, if I could, help out my beloved Club wherever possible !

Look at Jack Walker, the main highlight of a local man investing in a Club he loves, not for a return, but because the love he had for Blackburn ran through his veins.

Clubs over the years have been plagued by dubious owners which sadly has become the norm in many cases.

Jack Walker was a different breed of owner and his like have become rare in today's shady world of professional football.

That depends on what they perceive 'thr right opportunity' to be. For any business person to expect to see a return on any investment made to a football club (especially with the supporters expectations in the modern game) they would not do it as they would not see their money again,
Case in point is the chairman of Fleetwood town who told the football league show a few weeks ago that he has sunk approximately £15 million into that club just to get it into League One!:omg:

I'm sorry I can't be more clearer with the "right opportunity" bit, but it's not my place to say exactly what it is. But it exists, believe me.

I'd suggest that the people who're potential involved, all have deep pockets & a sound business minds. I'm not talking about a lifelong fan, who's won the lottery & wants to invest money.

Clubs over the years have been plagued by dubious owners which sadly has become the norm in many cases.

Jack Walker was a different breed of owner and his like have become rare in today's shady world of professional football.

Absolutely agreed. Personally think its a shame what has happended to Blackburn, especially after the fact that he left a "Trust and Foundation" in place for the future of the Club. Saying that, suppose we could say that Walker was the 1st Owner to buy the title, ie no different to that of Russians and or sheiks, just he was local. Yet the issue of fair play etc would have applied to Blackburn very much so back in the day !

Many clubs purely run at a loss and are subsidised by owners.

Colchester are the perfect example, Cowling has pumped money into the club and gets nothing out of it. Whether he gets tax benefits I have no idea, but it cant be that simple or he wouldn't have spent the last few years reducing his annual investment. Anyone who thinks he is making a profit from Colchester United is deluded.
orient must struggle also and there wage budget is a lot more:omg:

Blackburn owners are terrible, more because they dont seem to have a clue what they are doing.

Blackpool's seem a step above though, they really seem to have actively fleeced the club of the money they made from the Premierleague.

orient must struggle also and there wage budget is a lot more:omg:

Indeed, rich owner, poor club. There's no money to be made there. Some owners just want to have a football club.

Blackburn owners are terrible, more because they dont seem to have a clue what they are doing.

Blackpool's seem a step above though, they really seem to have actively fleeced the club of the money they made from the Premierleague.

Indeed, rich owner, poor club. There's no money to be made there.

The Blackpool story is madness personified,Oyston a convicted rapist paid a world record salary to his wife as CEO being a cool 11 million .

When clubs as big as Man Utd are steamrolled into massive debt then no club can be safe or free from "interesting owners"

The Blackpool story is madness personified,Oyston a convicted rapist paid a world record salary to his wife as CEO being a cool 11 million .

When clubs as big as Man Utd are steamrolled into massive debt then no club can be safe or free from "interesting owners"

What Ive read about Blackpool is terrible, they really do seem to have gone in there to take money and have taken millions by the look of it and left them with nothing, not even a squad.

That cant be said for the majority of clubs though, many of which run at a loss and only exist because money goes in from owners, not out.

Jon, I don't do wind-ups. Wait and see.

Regarding Sainsburys pulling out

Ive also heard similar. A friend who is also a season ticket holder in the east stand works for a company who represent sainsburys in some capacity and in particular is working on this issue. He said that it has come so close so many times that Sainsburys wont hang on for much longer

Regarding Sainsburys pulling out

Ive also heard similar. A friend who is also a season ticket holder in the east stand works for a company who represent sainsburys in some capacity and in particular is working on this issue. He said that it has come so close so many times that Sainsburys wont hang on for much longer

Yes but thats not the reason they will pull out. Sainsbury arent hanging on at all now, we have been hanging on waiting for them for the past 6 months.

They arent getting fed up with delays, they are reviewing whether they actually want to build stores at all.

What Ive read about Blackpool is terrible, they really do seem to have gone in there to take money and have taken millions by the look of it and left them with nothing, not even a squad.

That cant be said for the majority of clubs though, many of which run at a loss and only exist because money goes in from owners, not out.

I strongly believe clubs only make losses because it suits their need !

Southend have been apparently losing money hand over fist with the debt topping over £10,000,000..Why???

If I owned this club I would look at every income stream and pay salaries accordingly so maybe the club would earn zero but never rack up more insane debt.

Southend have been apparently losing money hand over fist with the debt topping over £10,000,000..Why???

If I owned this club I would look at every income stream and pay salaries accordingly so maybe the club would earn zero but never rack up more insane debt.

Sorry , are you saying that you could run a football club at 'break even' ?
That's not a criticism btw , just interested to know your thoughts on how that is achievable ?

Its a discussion we have had before, and all you need do is check the accounts which are readily available and show we were losing 100k a month at one point, which has since been reduced.

Of the 10 million debt well over 5 million of that is debts to Sainsbury that was loaned in 2010, 2.2 million of which was a tax bill and the rest paid various other bills and went to running the club for 12 months.

What you would do is great in an ideal world, sadly one which we dont live in, clubs live beyond their means, hence owners have to prop them up and why they go into administration....

Yes but thats not the reason they will pull out. Sainsbury arent hanging on at all now, we have been hanging on waiting for them for the past 6 months.

They arent getting fed up with delays, they are reviewing whether they actually want to build stores at all.

Well i dont know all the details obviously and my friend couldnt go into detail, but, he did say that Sainsburys have had enough of RM and are considering other alternative sites. As is ay i dont know enough about it, im just saying in brief what he said, my friend is a Surveyor by the way.

That's not a criticism btw , just interested to know your thoughts on how that is achievable ?
If he could do that he would be on the wanted list of 99% of clubs, of course his salary wouldn't be much

Well i dont know all the details obviously and my friend couldnt go into detail, but, he did say that Sainsburys have had enough of RM and are considering other alternative sites. As is ay i dont know enough about it, im just saying in brief what he said, my friend is a Surveyor by the way.

Sainsbury are reviewing their store building policy in general and are looking to not build stores at all, not in different sites.

One thing in my mind why give Barnard any deal whatsoever after all he must be on 100k maybe more!

Put it this way this club every season has around 130,000 customers yet it still loses over a million per year!

Strange.

Back