• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Same story with any young english talent...

Eg - Wilfried Zaha. The Championships hottest prospect and he's English. Plays week in week out for Palace scoring and assisting them to promotion. Manchester United come in for him, buy him and don't play him. Six months later he is loaned out to Cardiff, so by now has left his home in London to move to Manchester and now to Wales to play in a relegation threatened side where even there he didn't start many games! To now being told by LVG he has no future at United... What a waste of a year for the young lad in what is an important stage of his development and he isn't playing and therefore we won't see him progress.

Take the German side, Julian Draxler of Shalke. Yet another German Attacking Midfielder wanted by Arsenal. Reports of massive money being rejected and they keep the player, playing him every week and he develops and featured in the world cup.

Zaha allegedly has a huge attitude problem. Schalke are one of the biggest football clubs in the World and Draxler would likely have been a starter at Arsenal seeing as he is better than what they have got. I get your general point buit these aren't decent comparisons.

Zaha allegedly has a huge attitude problem. Schalke are one of the biggest football clubs in the World and Draxler would likely have been a starter at Arsenal seeing as he is better than what they have got. I get your general point buit these aren't decent comparisons.
Spot on, being English and having talent isn't anywhere near enough, Zaha does indeed have a severe attitude problem so he has ended up where he deserves to be. Bentley from all accounts is a very grounded lad so let's hope if he gets his move it doesn't change his attitude.

Personal opinion, they can have him sharpish....never seen such an over rated cat. Even against lower league Braintree, first goal fell in a heap, never makes himself big......will end up where he started.......with us!

What a complete stain you are.

He is still learning and is class at league two level.

As ever the truth lies somewhere between the two.....he isn't as bad as Wiggy makes out, though he still has a hell of a lot of improving to do.....but he certainly is not "class at league 2 level" - he certainly has potential but if he was 32 years old and performing the same way he'd be no more than average...

Personal opinion, they can have him sharpish....never seen such an over rated cat. Even against lower league Braintree, first goal fell in a heap, never makes himself big......will end up where he started.......with us!

Are there any players you actually like or rate?

Like him or not. Rate him or not. Young English goalkeepers are actually very much sought after and as someone put, I think his attitude is what will increase his cost to a buyer. I also understand that actually his work rate and want to learn is spot on, large clubs do their ground work here and he will very much tick these boxes. Yes he makes mistakes (Wiggy), but, his natural ability and age puts him very much in a "desired" bracket. Now Im not sure if he is ready for premierleague or championship stage yet, but I would say that a move to a larger club, to gain more experiance and training, over the next 18 months is key to his own developement. He does have the attributes to go on to better things and therefore, i would say that the package we could ask for him from any suitors could more than the 100k mentioned here, but again nowhere near the 2million. I would rather have young players such as Bentley that cause scouts to visit us, than players that cause no stirrings in the higher leagues !!

We are, like most league 2 (and 1) a selling Club, but then that is our role within the pyramid of the football league food chain and so we should be , because if we and others werent, then it plays into the hands of those heralding the need for "B" teams !!

Brown: "I spoke to Sam after hearing the rumours about Dan Bentley. He made no reference about wanting to sign him." @SUFCRootsHall

And now some charming person has keyed Dans car....

"@dan_bentley1: You have to be a certain kind of spineless scumbag to key someone's car! Hope karma well and truly bites you! #scum"

"@dan_bentley1: You have to be a certain kind of spineless scumbag to key someone's car! Hope karma well and truly bites you! #scum"

This is the danger about starting rumours that players will be off to rivals.

I bet whoever did that is really embarrassed now they've found out there's nothing in this story.

Sorry this is not the result of the "danger" of rumours, this, if true is the result of some people that follow Southend being moronic idiots !! West Ham are not "rivals", they are a premier league team. Even if the "rumours" are true, so what, a young man that gave his heart to us last season is given the opportunity to prove his career and lifestyle and we've prats that want to deface his car !

How many Southend fans know what Dan Bentley's car looks like? It's probably just a coincidence.

Spot on, being English and having talent isn't anywhere near enough, Zaha does indeed have a severe attitude problem so he has ended up where he deserves to be. Bentley from all accounts is a very grounded lad so let's hope if he gets his move it doesn't change his attitude.

Originally Posted by Beefy

Sorry to go off topic a bit however both zaha and Steve parish, the chairman of CP are personal family friends of mine and I'm not sure where these alleged rumours about his attitude are coming from. Let me tell you all he is a decent lad and has been messed around by Man U for the past year. CP wanted him back on loan and UTD blocked it .
Just wanted to put the record straight!

Sorry to go off topic a bit however both zaha and Steve parish, the chairman of CP are personal family friends of mine and I'm not sure where these alleged rumours about his attitude are coming from. Let me tell you all he is a decent lad and has been messed around by Man U for the past year. CP wanted him back on loan and UTD blocked it .
Just wanted to put the record straight!

Hmm. While I don't doubt that Moyes mismanaged him to a certain degree last year, there were certainly enough tales emanating from his time at both Palace and United that would make someone err on the side of the caution. I believe the main issue with him at United was his woeful timekeeping and consistently turning up late to meetings, if he turned up at all...

Back to Bentley though. If West Ham dangle, for example, £350-500,000 up front with clauses worth an additional £1.5-2m and agree to loan him back to us for the forthcoming season, we'd be bat**** to turn it down.

Denied by Big Sam according to the Echo:

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/bl...tley_to_West_Ham_United_rubbished_by_Big_Sam/

But an unusual form of words:

“I heard the rumour and wanted to check it out so I gave Sam a call in New Zealand, “said Brown.

“You have to do these things to cover yourself, especially if you’re going to lose your first choice goalkeeper.

“However, Sam never made any reference to wanting to bring Daniel in.”

Back