• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

You have to consider what area they can realistically focus on.

Is it worth going into schools in Wickford and beyond when as you say the distance starts to be too competitive with West Ham, or should they focus more on the local area and try to appeal to those residing in the immediate area, which after all is still a big catchment.

Wickford's only one train station away from Rayleigh and we have quite a few fans there, I don't see why we shouldn't try to get fans Wickford or anywhere on that line since it takes you straight to Prittlewell station.

Wickford's only one train station away from Rayleigh and we have quite a few fans there, I don't see why we shouldn't try to get fans Wickford or anywhere on that line since it takes you straight to Prittlewell station.

Also one stop closer to Stratford and only 10 minutes further to watch West Ham.

We should be hoping to attract fans from there, but how much do you spend on doing so when they are not far off being halfway to West Ham ?

Local schools are local, not in Wickford. They are in my kid's school all the time.

They could certainly do more in further areas, but the main focus has to be in Southend and the immediate area, it will be less effective the further out you go, because then you really are trying to compete with West Ham.

Question is how far can they really appeal? Certainly past Basildon/Wickford would be futile.

Perhaps I should stop supporting Southend as its not my local club?

We have lots of Southend supporters in Wickford, I can see this when get the train to matches. When we werel in the championship in the lovcal park on Saturday their were more kids in Southend shirts than any other team (I had 4 in my team alone our of 10 boys ). The station platform for the Wembley match was totally rammed, far busier than mon-friday rush hour .

Southend IS my local professional club and the club should look as the Schools in the same manner. There is a massive about of potential support in the towns outside of Southend that the club is not hooked into. The club does not do this at the moment so it has no idea of how successful it might /might not be. You dont know how effective it might be, yes their is more completion than in central Southend but against that is the fact that in Southend more kids will already know about SUFC, or have families that support us that the outlying areas so it could still be very successful. The local football clubs use the cheap tickets to take kids and their parents to matches and it has been very successful. with literally hundreds watching at least one match that they would not have done so without the SUFC ticket promotions through the football teams . I have even converted West Ham supporters to come to 10+ matches a year and to buy their sons SUFC kit .

So in summary the evidence is there to suggest that there is an untapped market , and nothing is being done to grab that market . I am guessing that Wickford is not unique in this. You don't know if something will work until you try it.

sorry- rant over

Don't get silly, I never said people from Wickford shouldn't support Southend, just that the further away you get you have to question the value of the investment of the resources you spend on promotion.

For example, there would be no point whatsoever in trying to attract people from Stratford, and every reason to try in Prittlewell and a sliding scale between.

ON a limited budget whilst we are in League Two I'm not sure how much they could do, if we were in the Championship we would be far more attractive and in a better position to do so.

If Fossetts were to be completed that would be a great time for a push as well. If that ever happens..

I'm actually tempted by what West Ham might have to say right now... but more from an anti-Spam perspective.

I'd genuinely be interested in an away fan season ticket. Come on, every other week to watch Premier football and support whoever happened to be adding to the Hammer's woes that particular week. It's genius I tell you.

I'm actually tempted by what West Ham might have to say right now... but more from an anti-Spam perspective.

I'd genuinely be interested in an away fan season ticket. Come on, every other week to watch Premier football and support whoever happened to be adding to the Hammer's woes that particular week. It's genius I tell you.

You might be able to make better use of your time making a sandwich board and walking round Wickford and surrounding area advertising SUFC - you would be doing your bit for Dave C's Big Society that way as well, simples!:smile:

Don't get silly, I never said people from Wickford shouldn't support Southend, just that the further away you get you have to question the value of the investment of the resources you spend on promotion.

For example, there would be no point whatsoever in trying to attract people from Stratford, and every reason to try in Prittlewell and a sliding scale between.

ON a limited budget whilst we are in League Two I'm not sure how much they could do, if we were in the Championship we would be far more attractive and in a better position to do so.

If Fossetts were to be completed that would be a great time for a push as well. If that ever happens..
I explained why the equation if distance from ground vs positive result is not as simple as you suggest, but you have chosen to ignore me and are simply restating the same points . We didn't do anything when we were in the championship thinking about it so I just don't think the club is interested which is a shame

The point of this "strange thread" is this...

As Mr Stokes will testify, Leyton Orient have been well and truly shafted by the FA, Football League and all and sundry.
We are in the sights of Brady and the Rampant Rabbits, and they are on a mission to try and fill the new ground.
They will take no prisoners, whilst using fair competition as their motto.
The Spam have always been rival for fans attention and loyalty but this ain't the 70's 80's or 90's.
They have a taxpayer funded stadium with a 50k plus capacity to fill, and they have the clout to do it.
They have a Premier League payout next season of over £50 MILLION.
They will use a fair chunk of that to flood our fair county with advertising on every media available, this is a whole new ball game.
Floating Fans in Rayleigh, Wickford, Billericay - just as tempting to travel to Stratford.
MMMmm, Blues v Cambridge or Spam v Chelsea...mmm
Just making a point that this isn't a one off leaflet campaign, it's just the start. And it will head our way.

Do you work for WHU Marketing Dept??

You presume so much.

So far..they leafleted the area they are moving too.

Let O's worry about being shafted.

What has their Prem League pay out got to do with us?? I do not like them...but if they stay in The Prem...they have earned a right to the cash.

So far...they put some leaflets out in Stratford. You have blown it up to include areas that are so far...just your random guesswork.

You never think West Ham United have promoted themselves in Essex? They have done that since the 60's.

Why panic now? Leaflets in...err Stratford!

I explained why the equation if distance from ground vs positive result is not as simple as you suggest, but you have chosen to ignore me and are simply restating the same points . We didn't do anything when we were in the championship thinking about it so I just don't think the club is interested which is a shame

You made the point local kids already know about SUFC.

Yet in my kids classes there are still very few that go to games, out of 180 kids in their two years no more than 5 or 6 go to games (on a good day) so there is still plenty of investment and work needed to attract those living within walking distance of Roots Hall, let alone in the outer reaches of our catchment.

If as you say there is more of a chance of kids going from Southend than Wickford and they still arent going then they are the ones we should be targeting. Both would be nice of course if budgets allowed!

Last edited:
Just seen a tweet that Orient are handing out leaflets at Essex cricket tonight, surely nobody from Chelmsford would go there!

Have a good season in the autos next year and with Luton Cambridge Stevenage in the mix I think we would average around 7.5k+ which is very decent at this level.

Just seen a tweet that Orient are handing out leaflets at Essex cricket tonight, surely nobody from Chelmsford would go there!

Interesting piece about Orient in the new Private Eye.

Barry Hearne's sold out 90% of his stake to a very dodgy gent with an Italian passport but lots of business dealings in Albania,apparently.

That is (sort of) behind the marketing that West Ham, and other mid-level London clubs, embark upon. The likes of them and Fulham often market their games as an opportunity to watch the opposition. Bit sad really.

That is (sort of) behind the marketing that West Ham, and other mid-level London clubs, embark upon. The likes of them and Fulham often market their games as an opportunity to watch the opposition. Bit sad really.

Doubt if Fulham will have much luck with a ploy like that in the Championship this season.

Talking of Fulham, I was suprised to see that they retained their Fulham Faithful card for the 2014/5 season, at a whacking 30 quid.

Southend of course had a similar type of loyalty card a few seasons back, which cost only a fiver,IIRC.

A good idea, IMO,as at least it guaranteed you a cup ticket if we got a good draw in the third Round (or higher).

Doubt if Fulham will have much luck with a ploy like that in the Championship this season.

I wonder if they will keep the neutral section in the Putney End. Been there a couple of times and it is invariably full of opposition fans. As you say, maybe not so much now they're in the second tier, although there are still plenty of very well supported teams in that division and Fulham is sure to be a popular away trip.

Strangely enough it appears it's not West Ham we should be worrying about. ITK Rumours on a spurs fan site that they will be opening a store in our town centre. (Maybe replacing the one someone earlier in the thread said had closed in Chelmsford?)

http://www.spurscommunity.co.uk/index.php?threads/itk-new-spurs-store-opening-in-southend.110850/

West Ham kindly provided a public toilet in Southend High st some years ago, Nice of Spurs to follow suit.

I enjoyed reading that thread, describing Southend as a toilet. Presumably none of them have ever been to Tottenham, which has to be the biggest ******** I have ever encountered on my football travels (and that includes Rapid Bucharest).

Back