• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brown checks

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United manager Phil Brown is to check with Football League officials after his side’s penalty in a behind-closed-doors friendly against Colchester.

More...

The Law is quite clear. Holding of an opponent either by an attacker or defender is clearly an offence punishable by a direct free-kick/penalty. The fact that weak officials have chosen to ignore it on many occasions is neither here nor there.

In any case Football League Officials are not able to dictate refereeing policy. The FA or the PGMO might be a better point of contact.

Mick, what is the law regarding kicking an opponent whilst he is on the ground in front of you?.

I was at a game last night where this happened and the ref took no action at all. Is this some new rule introduced for the new season?.:winking:

If the officials are going to consistently clamp down on this then I'm fully in favour; it won't take very many games of 6 or 7 penalties a side for people to start taking notice and keeping their hands off each other at corners,etc.

Some of the goings on that we see week in, week out are ridiculous, some of the grappling that goes on should reall require that the protagonists book a hotel room, I've seen wrestling matches with less contact. :smiles:

If the officials are going to consistently clamp down on this then I'm fully in favour; it won't take very many games of 6 or 7 penalties a side for people to start taking notice and keeping their hands off each other at corners,etc.

Some of the goings on that we see week in, week out are ridiculous, some of the grappling that goes on should reall require that the protagonists book a hotel room, I've seen wrestling matches with less contact. :smiles:

Imagine football with no holding, grabbing, pulling etc. the games going mad - 20 years time it'll be non-contact.

You can win the ball these days, but because you came in from behind, it's a foul. I miss the 90s.

Imagine football with no holding, grabbing, pulling etc. the games going mad - 20 years time it'll be non-contact.

You can win the ball these days, but because you came in from behind, it's a foul. I miss the 90s.

Ryan, I certainly don't want to see the game sanitised to the level of non-contact; I played my football back in the late 60's/early 70's, the era of Norman Hunter, Ron 'Chopper' Harris, Tommy Smith, et al, as a full back so I think the game is as sanitary as it needs to be, if not too much.
Having said that, the type of 'bear-hug' holding that's going on in the modern game would have been a foul back then just as it is now, what frustrates me is that anywhere else on the pitch the officials are happy to give a free kick and in open play would give a penalty if play has moved into the penalty area and such contact has occurred, players seem to get penalties for going down if a fly has landed on them these days :unsure: but if it's happening in the build up to a corner kick it seems to be fine/ignored :stunned:. We now have blocking and holding going on that American football linebackers would be proud of.....

We had a few games last year with really good officials and a whole host of games, predominately away and Up North when we had shocking, numb nuts in charge.
What is needed is consistency and better support for the main ref from his assistants and also the in the stands assessors.

I dont see the game being sanitised at all to be honest, the tackles that are no longer allowed should never be in the game.

The only area where is has gone too far is goal keepers, far too protected.

Off topic , but if I could eradicate one thing from the game it would be 'time wasting'.
It's no use whining on here next season when we are the victims ( Burton play off ) because we , and all teams , are just as guilty.
Don't know how the authorities get around it , but for me , the last half hour of any games where a side is 1 or 2 goals up loses so much game time.

i think it's gone far too far towards non-contact. keepers are far too protected, falling over = fouls. good that leg breakers are clamped down own but despite all this both sides get away with murder in the penalty area. giving pens is only half of it, attackers do it too. there's a lot wrong with modern football, not sure if there's more right or wrong

Back