• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

steveo

mine to stay the same please
Thank you Steveo, I hope that the minimum wage will follow or overtake the % growth.
In my simple economics that will encourage working, give some dignity, help spending power and have little impact on big companies profits.

Agreed. Those who exploit workers at the bottom of the labour market with minimum wage and zero hours contracts are despicable scum.

Thank you Steveo, I hope that the minimum wage will follow or overtake the % growth.
In my simple economics that will encourage working, give some dignity, help spending power and have little impact on big companies profits.

Hopefully one follows the other. If Companies don't make profits they don't invest and they don't employ so things do need to be done in the right order.

It is good to be optimistic Steveo; however the truth is the rises given to a few are massive compared to the minuscule; too often non existent rises given to the lowest grade and under 18 workers.
How can minimum wage NOT be at least £10 a hour; and also the tax threshold needs raising to take low earners away from taxation in wages while still allowing them their NI stamp.
Growth of companies DOES equate to a growth in profits; which goes to the owners and rich share holders - fair enough in any reality: BUT I want to see a better Britain and believe society needs/must do more for the less affluent; however that won't happen by chance and so needs policy, laws and the sway of public opinion to force higher min wage etc. :blush:

Steveo good news indeed. The moaners continue to moan. It was ever thus. Still it's a democracy and they can vote Labour for high unemployment and low growth if it maskes them feel better.

How can minimum wage NOT be at least £10 a hour; and also the tax threshold needs raising to take low earners away from taxation in wages while still allowing them their NI stamp.

So lets look at small to medium sizes firms. A lot wouldn't be able to afford to pay a minimum wage of a tenner so that wouldn't help as the other option would be for these firms not to employ people and to someone unemployed the minimum wage means nothing.

Raise the Tax threshold? Fair enough but the government needs to raise the money one way or another so they would have to increase tax somewhere, and presumably you mean increase it to the higher earners, who already pay more. Now in practise if a bloke who owns a business wants to take say 150 grand a year net, and you increase his tax, he will increase his salary to keep up which means paying his workers less.

You can't increase the minimum wage till Companies can afford to pay it and I know a lot of people assume anyone who owns a business is rolling in it that simply isn't the case.

Any signs that the economy is growing should be welcomed, but sooner or later interest rates will have to rise too. Great for savers, not so great for a large chunk of mortgage payers who have got used to static rates. Wages are going to have to increase to balance the increase, but will they?

Or people will have to be more prudent.

A lot of everyday people are already on the margins, living on the basics. A rise in interest rates could be mean a hike in repossessions and mortgage defaults which certainly won't help the economy recover.

A lot of everyday people are already on the margins, living on the basics. A rise in interest rates could be mean a hike in repossessions and mortgage defaults which certainly won't help the economy recover.

Fair point. Hopefully the people who stretched themselves with big mortgages took a possible interest rate increase into account beforehand.

Fair point. Hopefully the people who stretched themselves with big mortgages took a possible interest rate increase into account beforehand.

Unlikely - much like the banks who were to eager to sell them it.

Unlikely - much like the banks who were to eager to sell them it.

We won't agree on this one MK. Banks may have been eager but they didn't force anyone to take out a mortgage they couldn't afford. They could have said no.

All this breadline stuff. I watched some benefits programme the other day. Plenty of unemployed people moaning about the benefit wasn't enough and "how are we meant to survive on that" as they opened another packet of 8 quid fags to go with their can of Special brew.

We won't agree on this one MK. Banks may have been eager but they didn't force anyone to take out a mortgage they couldn't afford. They could have said no.

All this breadline stuff. I watched some benefits programme the other day. Plenty of unemployed people moaning about the benefit wasn't enough and "how are we meant to survive on that" as they opened another packet of 8 quid fags to go with their can of Special brew.

You are now believing what the controlled media shows and prints...wow that is a shock.....Not everybody is as bright as some or as intelligent as others in this world, but it seems to me the generalisation is everybody is equal and according to the press should all be millionaires by now... Just because you see some ridiculous programme on channel 5 you think it is the truth verbatim.

*Sigh*

It was a wise move to add the question mark to the 'Good news' heading. We know that there's money floating around. We also know that it's being stockpiled by those holding it so the good news is far from widespread. For many, work now means slavery as growth is so top-heavy. No easy answer, but this appalling government certainly doesn't have it, whatever their official publications suggest.

You are now believing what the controlled media shows and prints...wow that is a shock.....Not everybody is as bright as some or as intelligent as others in this world, but it seems to me the generalisation is everybody is equal and according to the press should all be millionaires by now... Just because you see some ridiculous programme on channel 5 you think it is the truth verbatim.

*Sigh*

Sigh all you like. I merely pointed some real life people, subject of a television documentary, who consider themselves on the breadline but can afford to smoke and drink. Unless you are saying the drink and fags were props - and the mobile phones - but they seem to be more of an essential item than food these days.

It seems most of the leftys are disappointed that the UK economy is growing and would rather us be struggling in recession so they have something to moan about.

Sigh all you like. I merely pointed some real life people, subject of a television documentary, who consider themselves on the breadline but can afford to smoke and drink. Unless you are saying the drink and fags were props - and the mobile phones - but they seem to be more of an essential item than food these days.

It seems most of the leftys are disappointed that the UK economy is growing and would rather us be struggling in recession so they have something to moan about.

It's Daily Mail TV Steveo, made with the sole intention of winding people up, and if the producers can assist that by funding a few packets of B&H or cans of Stella then they will. It's about as much a real depiction as Wacky Races is to Formula 1.

There you go again, believing everything you are told by the controlled media..... Who would the Rich have to persecue if they eradicated the poor....which is seems they are intent on trying their best to.

The Press and the right wing like nothing better than setting people against each other in their views...Divide and Conquer springs to mind.

It's Daily Mail TV Steveo, made with the sole intention of winding people up, and if the producers can assist that by funding a few packets of B&H or cans of Stella then they will. It's about as much a real depiction as Wacky Races is to Formula 1.
Yeah I know MK but we seem to have moved of the main theme of this thread which hopefully is good news for the Country.
How about some of you blokes look on the bright side?

A predictable punchline based on wishful thinking rather than reality. People are now more than aware that growth figures are smoke and mirrors. They are also aware that these documentaries are made for white-knuckled, red-faced Daily Mail bigots who enjoy having their prejudices confirmed. 'Righties', I think they're called.

Back