• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

IronMike

First XI
Ilford exile, only minutes from Roots Hall' those
Hello all,
How not to create the best impression - well here goes :facepalm:...

I'm a West Ham United die hard, (fourth generation), season ticket holder for twenty years, plus countless away games.
:omg:

Currently going through a typically stressful and unnecessarily, long drawn out house move to Westcliff, walking distance to Roots Hall.

Therefore, seeing as this will be the local club my two little Hammers will get to know and 'love', I've spent almost every day the last two months or so educating myself about all things Southend United F.C. I first came across ShrimperZone only a few days ago and like what I see. I read the recent 'Spamsters leaflet Leyton' thread with great interest. For what it's worth, I can't bare to read the drivel on West Ham forums for a whole host of reasons. I quit doing that regularly years ago - many of the posters are simply out of touch, so I just choose to attend the matches with the traditional pre and post (mortem) match drinks.

West Ham is my life but that's that, I respect that this is a forum for Southend United, so will stay true to that mantra and only mention my lot if warranted. After all, what do you care! I'm here as I'm keen to get to know the ins and outs of my soon to be local club, the club I intend to take my young sons to as often as work and West Ham 'allows'.

Obviously being a West Ham family, my boys have already been brainwashed into that being their only option, rather like how I was and my father before me, yet like many other Hammers fans now, I'm becoming rapidly disillusioned with how the club's being run. Once we move across the borough to Stratford, it will never be the same again. Ever. Yes violins etc but I ask myself what am I really passing on to my kids when they will barely even remember The Boleyn if at all.

Southend United seems to me, on the outside, like a real family club, that involves the fans - genuinely. I like that and can see where this is going.
Of the four fixtures between our clubs, I have attended three - the first being back in 1992 when I distinctly remember Stan Collymore bursting onto the scene and the old man pointing him out to me after only 5 minutes of the game.
Brett Angell and Chrissy Powell are other players that spring to mind - and who in the whole of England didn't jump for joy when Freddy Eastwood banged in that free kick against ManUre!

I'm even thinking of getting the littl'uns the new kits - I think the new away kit is great, yet must say how disappointed I am with the home. I've tried to tell myself it's like a recent Everton kit, but can't help but think it's bloody Tottenham. Even the back is white! I won't be getting that for them! Maybe they're planning on selling it in the apparent proposal of a new club shop in the town.

There you go, IronMike has joined, I can take abuse, I'm married after all.

So I aim to attend a few matches at Roots Hall this season - is there a pub you all frequent on matchdays?

The Spread Eagle, Vic Ave, or in the club bar if the match day special ale is good.
With the ale they only get a barrel in and the good stuff sells out fast.
Welcome Mike.

Welcome along, I think we are a family club, glad you picked up on that already - if you want to help in the "re-education" of your children, can I recommend joining them up to our Junior Blues scheme? Costs just a £10 note, and that covers them until they reach 16.

Perks include a membership pack, newsletter every other month, various offers from our partners and "exclusive" Junior Blues' events, such as bowling with the players and special JB only player days. Last season, four members were picked to be in the official team photo, one is picked to present the Player of the Month award each month and one presents the Player of the Year award also, and six were selected to launch the home kit at Meet the Blues Day on Sunday!

I know there is also a very special new partner being announced shortly......:winking:

Junior Blues application form 2013.jpg

Welcome, it just goes to show it's never too late to see the light. I'm sure no-one will mention the time we beat you 1-0 at Roots Hall in the league, Collymore crossing for Angell to score. Nope that definitely will not happen. :whistling:

Thank you for your welcomes and comments.
Being only eleven at the time, that 1-0 reverse at Roots Hall is the one meeting out of the four between the clubs I didn't attend - but I remember it well! How could I not, it was at the 'business' end of the season where we were going for promotion to 'The Premier League' as it is now - and got done! Though all turned out fine in the end.

Southend 20/1 for the title this season :winking:

Careful lads and ladettes, I scent a rat here, how can this Iron Mike be a regular geezer hamster? My mince pies read no sign of chat about academy and winning the World Cup. No knees up any muvva, no blowing of bubs, ain't right isn't it?
Is it Danny Dyer getting into the Zone to do a doco on football intelligentsia and track down the legends of Leigh Comm?
I think Iron Mike needs to prove him, or herself!
And he/she can read and write real proper like.:omg:

No Mike is a wrong un!

I suggest as a sign of intent to go straight Mike sponsors himself as a game mascot and does a dance at half time with the Belles.

I remember as a young lad just before i emigrated to Austalia in 1966 , the World Cup was being played in England as we all know, i was working in the Kursaal ,( second job ) and i had the fortune or misfortune whatever of meeting Bubbles from West Ham, need i say any more !:smile::blush:

As you are new to the area a right good boozer for a hard as nail IronMike would be The Cliff Pub; get down there geezer, don't tell 'em yer real handle but you will meet buckets of Spammers there.

I remember as a young lad just before i emigrated to Austalia in 1966 , the World Cup was being played in England as we all know, i was working in the Kursaal ,( second job ) and i had the fortune or misfortune whatever of meeting Bubbles from West Ham, need i say any more !:smile::blush:

Funny you should mention this on July 30th.. then again it isn't in Australia anymore - but there look, I've implied it!

As you are new to the area a right good boozer for a hard as nail IronMike would be The Cliff Pub; get down there geezer, don't tell 'em yer real handle but you will meet buckets of Spammers there.

That's much appreciated Signor Di Canio - if and when the surveyors, solicitors etc get there arse in gear that is..
beerintheevening.com does suggest that there are indeed Irons what frequent this here establishment.
Think I'll stick to the Shrimps my side of Fairfax Drive when the time comes mate. Grazie :winking:

COYI. Welcome aboard IronMike.

Great to have another Hammer on board. Enjoy the ride.

You will get abuse for being West Ham. It will be easier to take than that from your other half. I'm West Ham through and through and have been a season ticket holder in the past. However, I follow Southend and have followed them all around the country for quite a number of years now.

I don't think you will enjoy how Southend is run any more than how West Ham is run....

Thanks mate much appreciated.

As for getting abuse for being West Ham - I really couldn't care, not from Southend anyway, couldn't take it seriously even if I tried to. I'm looking forward to moving into the area, taking my boys to games and following a new local team as my 'second club', much like how I did with Orient up to the age of say 14 when the old man wouldn't let me go up north to away games and before Hearn ruined the club and made me eventually hate them. Or strongly dislike anyway - I've many friends who are O's and their Wembley defeat was mixed emotions.

I'm educating myself with all things Southend United every day and have found that coming on here every day has played a huge part in doing so. I like what I see and really feel that it's a family club. If the move goes through I'll be only a 5-10 minute walk away. How could I not want to be a part of it. Up The Hammers, thanks again :winking:

Last edited:
Hello all,
How not to create the best impression - well here goes :facepalm:...

I'm a West Ham United die hard, (fourth generation), season ticket holder for twenty years, plus countless away games.
:omg:

Currently going through a typically stressful and unnecessarily, long drawn out house move to Westcliff, walking distance to Roots Hall.

Therefore, seeing as this will be the local club my two little Hammers will get to know and 'love', I've spent almost every day the last two months or so educating myself about all things Southend United F.C. I first came across ShrimperZone only a few days ago and like what I see. I read the recent 'Spamsters leaflet Leyton' thread with great interest. For what it's worth, I can't bare to read the drivel on West Ham forums for a whole host of reasons. I quit doing that regularly years ago - many of the posters are simply out of touch, so I just choose to attend the matches with the traditional pre and post (mortem) match drinks.

West Ham is my life but that's that, I respect that this is a forum for Southend United, so will stay true to that mantra and only mention my lot if warranted. After all, what do you care! I'm here as I'm keen to get to know the ins and outs of my soon to be local club, the club I intend to take my young sons to as often as work and West Ham 'allows'.

Obviously being a West Ham family, my boys have already been brainwashed into that being their only option, rather like how I was and my father before me, yet like many other Hammers fans now, I'm becoming rapidly disillusioned with how the club's being run. Once we move across the borough to Stratford, it will never be the same again. Ever. Yes violins etc but I ask myself what am I really passing on to my kids when they will barely even remember The Boleyn if at all.

Southend United seems to me, on the outside, like a real family club, that involves the fans - genuinely. I like that and can see where this is going.
Of the four fixtures between our clubs, I have attended three - the first being back in 1992 when I distinctly remember Stan Collymore bursting onto the scene and the old man pointing him out to me after only 5 minutes of the game.
Brett Angell and Chrissy Powell are other players that spring to mind - and who in the whole of England didn't jump for joy when Freddy Eastwood banged in that free kick against ManUre!

I'm even thinking of getting the littl'uns the new kits - I think the new away kit is great, yet must say how disappointed I am with the home. I've tried to tell myself it's like a recent Everton kit, but can't help but think it's bloody Tottenham. Even the back is white! I won't be getting that for them! Maybe they're planning on selling it in the apparent proposal of a new club shop in the town.

There you go, IronMike has joined, I can take abuse, I'm married after all.

So I aim to attend a few matches at Roots Hall this season - is there a pub you all frequent on matchdays?

Col Ewe fans. (Note the spelling - you'll learn!) Mind you there isn't very many of them!

Thanks mate much appreciated.

As for getting abuse for being West Ham - I really couldn't care, not from Southend anyway, couldn't take it seriously even if I tried to. I'm looking forward to moving into the area, taking my boys to games and following a new local team as my 'second club', much like how I did with Orient up to the age of say 14 when the old man wouldn't let me go up north to away games and before Hearn ruined the club and made me eventually hate them. Or strongly dislike anyway - I've many friends who are O's and their Wembley defeat was mixed emotions.

I'm educating myself with all things Southend United every day and have found that coming on here every day has played a huge part in doing so. I like what I see and really feel that it's a family club. If the move goes through I'll be only a 5-10 minute walk away. How could I not want to be a part of it. Up The Hammers, thanks again :winking:

If you are on the Greater Anglia train line you won't be far from Stratford either :thumbsup:

I think we will be in at the Olympic Stadium at least 10 years before Fossetts... unless Ron wins the Euro Millions to help push things along and re-pay Sainsbury.

If you are on the Greater Anglia train line you won't be far from Stratford either :thumbsup:

I think we will be in at the Olympic Stadium at least 10 years before Fossetts... unless Ron wins the Euro Millions to help push things along and re-pay Sainsbury.
I'm trying to get as far away from the area as possible!!!
I'll be in-between Prittlewell and Westcliff stations, but I think I'll stick to the nicer and more reliable c2c and change at West Ham instead.
I've been trying to fathom out what's been going on with Fossetts and the history behind it all, what's gone wrong etc..... and I think you may have just summed it up in one line there. Thanks!

Back