• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I thought Thompson was ok, lost a lot in the air though. In contrast, Christophe Berra could have actually got his deckchair out against Barnard and Chiedozie. He looked absolutely dominant. Our best moments came, as ever, when Ryan Leonard drove into the space in front of him.

Tommo looked poor sadly whilst Barnard would struggle playing Sunday league!

Would love to see Lenny play in the hole behind a decent front pairing.

If you play Leonard in the hole, you lose his ability to draw defenders out with his pace from deep, which is his main strength.

With people raving about the CB's, does Prosser face a season of warming the bench, just coming on to cover for injuries etc...similar to last season?

I don't think that was the case at all.
Prosser was one of most consistent performers and only lost his place through injury.
Egan and Sokolik then came in and rightly kept their place.
If Prosser performs like last season , he will be one of out first choice CB's IMO

Teams rarely play a player in the "hole" with two forwards in front of them. Leonard isn't creative enough for that role anyway.

Fagan is just class, can't imagine why the boss needed another look at him, surely he knows him well enough? Set up Worrall well to lay it on a plate for Weston to score.

Players get paid by their old club for two months after the expiry of their contract if they're not picked up elsewhere. I suspect that Fagan was on decent money at Gillingham and will sign with us on Friday or Saturday.

Players get paid by their old club for two months after the expiry of their contract if they're not picked up elsewhere. I suspect that Fagan was on decent money at Gillingham and will sign with us on Friday or Saturday.

If that is still the case, and no reason to doubt it, would make make a lot of sense!

Great point.

Teams rarely play a player in the "hole" with two forwards in front of them. Leonard isn't creative enough for that role anyway.

Sadly true!

Too many managers prefer to keep it tight thus packing out the middle with only one up top,However I did say I would love to see Lenny playing that role and feel he would be awesome bombing forward in their third.

I put trust in PB.

But I have no idea at all (yet) why Barnard was offered a contract. He had a stinker last season. He shows zero signs of being halfway good enough.

POSITIVES:

Richards-Everton & Ibenfeldt looked exactly what our squad needs at the back , fairly composed , quick + strong in the air... would hope we can secure one if not both of these guys.

Jordan Chiedozie -- ran his socks off despite terrible service, he made excellent off the ball runs + was brave as a lion, gutted for him that he felt the 1st goal was his fault , as he had just put in a good tackle but couldnt clear the loose ball. His head seem to go down after that, now, i'm no John Barrowman but wanted to give him a hug when he got subbed as the lad looked devastated. I hope Phil Brown told him what a good player he is / can be , just have confidence!!!

Paul Smith ... Looked big,strong + confident. Make a couple of brilliant saves + commanded very well. If Bentley is tempted away then Smiffy is an excellent keeper who would help bring through young Ted Smith for the future.

Ryan Auger ... still injured but hopefully back soon , and he has now thankfully had a proper haircut !!!!!!!

Negatives:
Barny ... looks a pale comparison to his old self. He used to be strong+ real nuisance to defenders , but now he seems quite fragile. Shame as the Barny of old would rip this league apart.

Too many midfielder trialists! I'm happy to get in a strong holding midfielder in the Ivan Campo role as PB puts it, i guess thats where Deekan would fit in , but the other lads for me offered no more than what we've already got in Atkinson, Clifford, Leonard, Timlin + Payne . We should not waste our limited resources on signing more of what we ve already got + focus on spending our budget where it needs it most -- in defence !!!

Cheidozie seems like one hell of a gamble - do we need a confidence player who will go to pieces in mid season when the goals dry up and he has an off game? I argued last season that mental strength is something that needs addressing in the team during that 13 game winless streak.

POSITIVES:

Richards-Everton & Ibenfeldt looked exactly what our squad needs at the back , fairly composed , quick + strong in the air... would hope we can secure one if not both of these guys.

Jordan Chiedozie -- ran his socks off despite terrible service, he made excellent off the ball runs + was brave as a lion, gutted for him that he felt the 1st goal was his fault , as he had just put in a good tackle but couldnt clear the loose ball. His head seem to go down after that, now, i'm no John Barrowman but wanted to give him a hug when he got subbed as the lad looked devastated. I hope Phil Brown told him what a good player he is / can be , just have confidence!!!

Paul Smith ... Looked big,strong + confident. Make a couple of brilliant saves + commanded very well. If Bentley is tempted away then Smiffy is an excellent keeper who would help bring through young Ted Smith for the future.

Ryan Auger ... still injured but hopefully back soon , and he has now thankfully had a proper haircut !!!!!!!

Negatives:
Barny ... looks a pale comparison to his old self. He used to be strong+ real nuisance to defenders , but now he seems quite fragile. Shame as the Barny of old would rip this league apart.

Too many midfielder trialists! I'm happy to get in a strong holding midfielder in the Ivan Campo role as PB puts it, i guess thats where Deekan would fit in , but the other lads for me offered no more than what we've already got in Atkinson, Clifford, Leonard, Timlin + Payne . We should not waste our limited resources on signing more of what we ve already got + focus on spending our budget where it needs it most -- in defence !!!

Thats the point of a trial though. We wont sign all of them.

How is Ryan Auger being injured still a positive!? :smile:

POSITIVES:

Negatives:

His best save was when he kicked it against the Ipswich players back lol

POSITIVES:

Negatives:

You would just love it if you could be a real manager wouldn't you, you've certainly got the media interviews sorted, already making references to Ivan Campo and working his socks off, top class :winking::smile:

ps. Good write up, thanks

regarding Eastwood, I think someone said the other day they had spoke to him and he was going to play if his knee allowed it. Sounds like his knee wasn't up to scratch so taken off before he had to run around on it.
IIRC PB said it was the hardest decision of his managerial career, in letting Freddy go. Whatever the truth of that may be, it certainly looks the right decision.

As I understand it, "Big John" is the blonde guy.....that may be wrong though!

:smile:

I'm only going on what people around me were saying!

Even from this distance I can tell you that you're mixing up BIG JOHN with MAD MAX...........a dangerous thing to do, if you ask my advice. :smile: IIRC, BIG JOHN was the bloke with the unpronounceable surname NANIZAYAMO. He was French but playing with Real Sociedad. He featured in the first-half at Concord and ...........unless I've missed it, he hasn't appeared since............is he still at the club???

Even from this distance I can tell you that you're mixing up BIG JOHN with MAD MAX...........a dangerous thing to do, if you ask my advice. :smile: IIRC, BIG JOHN was the bloke with the unpronounceable surname NANIZAYAMO. He was French but playing with Real Sociedad. He featured in the first-half at Concord and ...........unless I've missed it, he hasn't appeared since............is he still at the club???

Having been at that game, I do hope not.

Back