• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
I posted the question below on another thread and got diddly response, so in the forlorn hope that it will get more responses as a standalone, here it is again.

I couldn't make either the Ipswich or QPR games. With the absence of Timlin for a while, are any of the midfielders on view giving it the vocal encouragement and leadership bit? With the exception of, maybe, Prosser, that was definitely missing last season, so what chances this year?

actually you have missed out john white . he has the armband and probably rightly so. Luke is better vocally but maybe the armband will put too much pressure on him.

John White seemed to lead the side well last season. Prosser is a leader of men and would be the natural step up in White's absence. Also didn't Leonard skipper the side in a couple of games last season.

Timlin and Bentley not captain material imho

I was surprised to see Coker get the armband ahead of Corr on Weds night.

Anyway, as long as we have numerous leaders on the park coupled with our great team spirit then I'm sure we'll be there or thereabouts this campaign.

John White did a fair job last season , but he's not particularly vocal on the pitch. He talked sense during interviews + seems popular with the other lads. For me though Timlin would definitely be skipper.... Hes experienced , always a very good talker on the pitch , organising , cajoling + encouraging. These are all a really important part of donning the arm band IMHO .
IF one of our younger players messes up + his head goes down , Timlin would be the 1st one to run over , tell him to get his head up + carry on leading by example. It really winds me up that he is usually the one sacrificed by PB when a sub comes on , and we always seem to miss the Timlin factor in the middle of the park when he's not there ( worrying for the next 3 months )

Luke Prosser is also very vocal so he would be my vice-skip.

John White seemed to lead the side well last season. Prosser is a leader of men and would be the natural step up in White's absence. Also didn't Leonard skipper the side in a couple of games last season.

Timlin and Bentley not captain material imho

I was surprised to see Coker get the armband ahead of Corr on Weds night.

Anyway, as long as we have numerous leaders on the park coupled with our great team spirit then I'm sure we'll be there or thereabouts this campaign.

Yeah, what he said.

Prosser will marshall and organise those around him, and is probably the actual leader, whilst White is club captain and relays the gaffers instructions and makes sure the team do their jobs.

Leonard did lead the team a couple of times, and like most good players will naturally take on that role, arm band or not, again marshalling players and driving them on.

There are several different forms of leadership.

There's the organisational side, where Prosser is excellent; there's the motivational support side from Timlin that Danbury refers to; there's the quietly leading by example; then there's Ryan Leonard who dictates how we play. You want several leaders. Sometimes people tune out if it's the same person always shouting (think Dagenham's keeper Lewington) and you need a different voice to get the message out.

I think our side was found short of leadership last season, but that might have been because players like Prosser, Corr, Timlin and Leonard weren't always on the pitch. Maybe someone like Fagan with his experience can add to that leadership group.

Id make Ryan Leonard captain. See if he can handle the resposibility full time.

Thats not to say that John White didnt do a good job, but young Ryan is the first name on the team sheet for me.

Prosser is the obvious one to step in if John is not playing.

Prosser is great vocally and really enourages the team. I'd have him White, then maybe Coker. I think the original post was about midfielders who could be captain though and Lenny seems the obvious choice

Id make Ryan Leonard captain. See if he can handle the resposibility full time.

Thats not to say that John White didnt do a good job, but young Ryan is the first name on the team sheet for me.

I dont know about everyone else , but i always put our goalie as the 1st name on the team sheet

Back