• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate the man and his (new) party but I think he's done the right thing - not stepping down would be self serving. You still have a good point though, this will gain lots of publicity and if I were a Tory voter in Clacton I'd be a bit p!ssed off.

What do you mean by 'I hate the man' Before 11 o'clock this morning I bet hardly anyone had even heard of the man, including you and me.

Oh, and in case you don't quite get the point of him standing in a by-election, the people of Clacton can now either vote him back in or not. And it appears that several councilors might defect to UKIP as well, stating that Carswell was voted for being him rather than a Tory. That's the mark of a good local MP who represents his constituents rather than the party.

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/08/28/Local-Council-May-Follow-Carswell-to-UKIP/

Last edited:
What do you mean by 'I hate the man' Before 11 o'clock this morning I bet hardly anyone had even heard of the man, including you and me.

Oh, and in case you don't quite get the point of him standing in a by-election, the people of Clacton can now either vote him back in or not. And it appears that several councilors might defect to UKIP as well, stating that Carswell was voted for being him rather than a Tory. That's the mark of a good local MP who represents his constituents rather than the party.

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/08/28/Local-Council-May-Follow-Carswell-to-UKIP/
The people of Clacton get to vote him in or not for what, seven months? They then get to vote him in or not again. And if he gets in for the seven months what will he do as a lone UKIP MP that he can't do as a Tory? How will his constituents benefit from their current MP being in a different party for seven months? Exactly, we had elections a few months ago and if he was happy to remain a Tory then I see no reason why he can't hold on for a little longer. Show a bit of restraint for Christ sake.

And it appears that several councilors might defect to UKIP as well, stating that Carswell was voted for being him rather than a Tory. That's the mark of a good local MP who represents his constituents rather than the party.

Not necessarily.

"Carswell has his detractors in Clacton. Last year, fellow Tory Peter Halliday resigned as leader of Tendring council, saying: "He has done diddly-squat for the constituency."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/aug/28/douglas-carswell-tory-rebel-europe-crimefighter-ukip

Try this.

"The list of MPs who have voluntarily resigned their seats in order to test public opinion in a byelection is an honourable but a relatively short one – for the simple reason that it rarely succeeds. Outside Northern Ireland, only the future Labour leader George Lansbury tried this quixotic trick – resigning in 1912 to fight a byelection on votes for women – and then later went on to great things. The great majority of those who have attempted such a move have either lost the byelection they triggered (as even Lansbury did) or have soon found themselves washed up to the political margins. Most MPs who change party allegiance simply do so without consulting their constituents."

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/aug/28/guardian-view-douglas-carswell-defecting-ukip

As I understand it, the by-election is likely to be held on October 9th, (after the party conferences have finished).

I doubt if Carswell will win but even if he does, I guarantee he'll be toast in the 2015 G/E.

UKIP have stitched up their own local candidate. I heard the UKIP secretary threatened him with expulsion for speaking out. And UKIP don't have local nominations, it's all done at national level. Which makes me think even more the whole thing is a vanity project by Farage.

He'll win this by election. Fancy a straight tenner on it?

He more than likely will win this time round and i think the fact it is less than a year to the G.E actually goes in his favour with the electorate as it could be perceived as pretty risk free vote. Now scarily i am going to agree with Barna and feel the G.E may well be a completely different kettle of fish.

He more than likely will win this time round and i think the fact it is less than a year to the G.E actually goes in his favour with the electorate as it could be perceived as pretty risk free vote. Now scarily i am going to agree with Barna and feel the G.E may well be a completely different kettle of fish.

Yes, I agree. But I couldn't resist the opportunity to get a bet on with Barna!

Well I'll stick my neck out and say he will win the by-election and also the General Election. Twenty quid to the Shrimpzone coffers if I'm wrong.

This might give you an idea of some of the reasons why I dislike him, plus the expenses scandal.

Am I not allowed to dislike someone who fights against me having equal rights?

Well I'll stick my neck out and say he will win the by-election and also the General Election. Twenty quid to the Shrimpzone coffers if I'm wrong.

I'll take that bet (as a hedge).

As I'm sure you'll remember, we also have an existing bet (for a tenner) that UKIP won't win a single seat at a by-election or at the 2015 G/E.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back