• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

It offends me that clubs like Spurs think they can just set up shop in Southend. I appreciate they are looking at things from a business point of view, but it shows a complete lack of respect for clubs like Southend. It's almost as bad as those fans that sit in Roots Hall wearing a West Ham cap. Just don't do it!

The one in Chelmsford was forever getting its windows smashed in, no doubt this one will have the same happen.

If the Council have allowed this, the planners should be lynched...
Why ? I'm sure the council are mightily impressed with SUFC and the way our stadium is progressing :blush: At the end of the day as a business we are a laughing stock.

We should boycott the opening - set the precedent from the very beginning.

I must be one person who really doesnt care.

No different to walking into JJB or Sports Direct or whatever and seeing Man Utd shirts and no Southend shirts.

No doubt wont last long.

So it's just along from the railway station where a number of visiting football fans from other clubs (inc Spammers) arrive and walk passed......good day for glazing companies then.

So Spurs are opening a shop in town, we have a lad on loan from spurs,
Our new home kit looks like Spurs could wear it with their crest on it...?
Coincidence?
Just a thought

I must be one person who really doesnt care.

No different to walking into JJB or Sports Direct or whatever and seeing Man Utd shirts and no Southend shirts.

No doubt wont last long.

You're not. Those getting themselves worked up about this need to give their heads a wobble. It's a merchandise outlet opening up, not a ****ing hostile takeover.

If the Council have allowed this, the planners should be lynched...

:angry:

Sadly, nothing to do with Councils or planning departments. If Spurs or anyone else want to open a retail outlet in a unit with retail use there's nothing to stop them.

Sadly, nothing to do with Councils or planning departments. If Spurs or anyone else want to open a retail outlet in a unit with retail use there's nothing to stop them.

Planners still need to approve the ultimate use - they have the right to block anything which may, for instance, have a detrimental effect on the other High Street tenants.

As for it not being a big deal, I'm afraid I see it differently as will many others - it is located bang in the middle of our town near the pub and railway station which will see most of the away fan footfall - it is embarrassing from our perspective. Makes us look like the poor relation in our own town - have some ****ing pride people. This is outright disrespect.

You're not. Those getting themselves worked up about this need to give their heads a wobble. It's a merchandise outlet opening up, not a ****ing hostile takeover.

Agreed.

Would there be the same righteous indignation if we opened a shop on Canvey or in Billericay ?

I have given my head a wobble. I still don't like it one bit. I just hope our fans remember to stock up on eggs when they do their weekly shop.

To be honest, Spurs aren't actually doing anything wrong. I would just hope we could raise our own profile in the town a little more so it doesn't seem quite such a Premiership satellite town.

Agreed.

Would there be the same righteous indignation if we opened a shop on Canvey or in Billericay ?

A good analogy. I don't like it, but such is life. Best answer Southend United can give is to produce a winning team and get promotion.

I did think about mentioning a new stadium too, but that's just silly talk.

Back