• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Stopped off in a pub on my way home and am making my way through a (reasonable) pint of "the guest ale" which is Adnams.

Not a good game to watch I'm afraid though Accers offered very little; we were also a bit of "work in progress" (I am trying to be positive here).

Other than a scare in the first few minutes, Dan had little to do, Bolger looked okay, Clifford was a candidate for man of the match, Sharky played like a loanee (no fear, no worries) and did well and Weston was man of the match for me - two good chances to score and he and Barney arguing over who took the 2nd penalty.

Still, clean sheet and points on the board. I expect Brown to say that it is a platform to build on. Such was the lack of atmosphere at the ground that we could hear him shouting his instructions in the away end.

Pitch looked good and no issues with the floodlights. :winking:

Home in North Wales after short trip to Accrington.
Tight game with a breeze across the pitch. Accrington defensive and working their socks off to keep us out, and offered little threat going forward.
Our keeper and back four had a comfortable game, Prosser and Bolger dominating at the back throughout. Coulthirst and Weston showed plenty of pace and tricky play as we struggled to take a grip on the game. Hurst was mostly tightly marked and Leonard had a quiet game. Corr had a few flicked headers but offered little threat. Man of the match for me was Clifford, working the ball, setting up the forwards and helping the defensive side of midfield.
Corr never looked like scoring the penalty after Coulthirst was brought down as he broke from the left and was rightly subbed for Barnard who looked bright and alert, and after a tussle with Weston as to who was taking the 2nd penalty, Leonard took charge and handed the ball to Barnard who never looked like missing it.
Josh Windass, for Accrington, son of Dean had a good game, working hard and had a long range shot that nearly surprised Bentley in 1st half.
Phil Brown was seen warmly greeting Dean Windass during the warm up.
A good and deserved win but the set up was similar to last season and it looks like a long season ahead of us, but already 2 points more than last season and the promise of Weston to give us a threat going forward.
Brown hardly acknowledged the fans at the end and marched away, perhaps to praise the players efforts or to let them know we will have to do better against stronger teams than Accrington.:smile::happy:

Home in North Wales after short trip to Accrington.
Tight game with a breeze across the pitch. Accrington defensive and working their socks off to keep us out, and offered little threat going forward.
Our keeper and back four had a comfortable game, Prosser and Bolger dominating at the back throughout. Coulthirst and Weston showed plenty of pace and tricky play as we struggled to take a grip on the game. Hurst was mostly tightly marked and Leonard had a quiet game. Corr had a few flicked headers but offered little threat. Man of the match for me was Clifford, working the ball, setting up the forwards and helping the defensive side of midfield.
Corr never looked like scoring the penalty after Coulthirst was brought down as he broke from the left and was rightly subbed for Barnard who looked bright and alert, and after a tussle with Weston as to who was taking the 2nd penalty, Leonard took charge and handed the ball to Barnard who never looked like missing it.
Josh Windass, for Accrington, son of Dean had a good game, working hard and had a long range shot that nearly surprised Bentley in 1st half.
Phil Brown was seen warmly greeting Dean Windass during the warm up.
A good and deserved win but the set up was similar to last season and it looks like a long season ahead of us, but already 2 points more than last season and the promise of Weston to give us a threat going forward.
Brown hardly acknowledged the fans at the end and marched away, perhaps to praise the players efforts or to let them know we will have to do better against stronger teams than Accrington.:smile::happy:

didtnt we win opener last season?

BENTLEY: (6.5) Commanded his box when needed - they didn't really trouble us bar hitting the woodwork in first few minutes.

White: (7) Solid - defended well and was reliable as always.

Bolger: (6.5) Very composed on the ball, but at times maybe a little too so. But decent debut nonetheless, few stray balls but he looks a great signing.

Prosser: (7) Pick of the back-line today. Won the majority of his headers, and when Stanley broke in the second half, he had the brains to see it was a dangerous situation and sensibly took the yellow card.

Coker: (6.5) Solid

Clifford: (9) MOM - absolutely fantastic today. He made a tremendous challenge in the first half, and there was a moment when the ball got hoofed up 20 feet or so, and with men around, you expected him to nod it on - but he took it out the air, and quickly laid it off.

CC Was everywhere today; gave away a few free kicks as you'd expect, but generally you would have been disappointed if he had let his man go. There was also another moment when he broke from inside our half, and when it looked like he was going to be challenged, he played the most awkward of bouncing ball with his left foot out wide perfectly. Well played Clifford lad - looked a class above today.

Leonard: (7) The usual industrious shift.

Hurst: (6) Was better in the second half, but balls seemed to bounce off him in the first. Crossing was poor, looked leggy and to my surprise Brown opted not to take him off.

Tottenham lad: (7.5) I won't attempt to spell his name, but he looks a very shrewd signing. Quick, very tricky (step-overs to win the first penalty were fantastic) and always looking to get in behind as well as being aware of his defensive duties.

Weston: (8.5) This was the first time I have seen the lad, and how I was pleasantly surprised. He reminds me of Tomlin: can go both ways, great turn of pace and typically makes the right choices. We have a really, really talented player in this boy.

Corr: (6.5) Won his headers as you'd expect, but offered little apart from that. He should not be taking penalties either, there are a lot more competent strikers of the ball in the team.

Worrall (6.5)
Barnard (6.5)
Atkinson (6.5)

Brown must have been watching the Netherlands this summer, given the number of long diagonal balls we saw today. Having said that, neither centre half is exactly comfortable on the ball, so maybe it's a wise tactic! Myles Weston looks a good player, but I'd have thought he and Couthirst would be better playing on their preferred foot rather than on opposite sides so they can cut in. Would agree that Clifford was the best player and hopefully this is the start of things to come from him. When you look at them, we've got a good squad for this league, so expectations should be high.

Horrid long journey but three points so all worth it!

Prosser was my stand out at the back, but Bolger was also very good. In style very different to the Sokolik/Egan partnership in that is it your typical straight forward League Two defending.

Clifford my MOTM. Brilliant tackling and distribution. Keep it up!

Weston an effective and dangerous outlet, should have got himself a goal.

Well done to all those who made the trip, was good to be back and see some familiar faces.

That was the fourth year in a row that our opening League fixture has ended up 1-0. The only one of those that we lost was when we played Accrington at home two years ago, one of only two opening day wins for Stanley since they returned to the Football League in 2006. In fact, the last time Accrington won at home on their opening League match was in their last season in the Conference, when they beat Canvey 1-0.

It was quite a relief when Barney finally converted that penalty, as not only was ours the last match in the whole of the Football League to have a goal scored in it across the 3pm kick-offs, but also it meant we could keep the run going of not having had a 0-0 draw in our opening League fixture for 93 years. By the way, had BBBC managed to score his penalty, it would have meant that he would have scored in five consecutive regular League matches, something no Southend player has done since Leon Clarke in 2007.

The crowd of 1,505 was the smallest we have played in front of for an opening League fixture in 29 years.

Football League Show is now up on iPlayer

Our clip is about 1h08m in.

Odd day. Stuck in traffic and only managed to arrive for half time. Still had to pay full price to get into a kids meccano set and only a basic starter pack at that. The attendance was woeful apart from our own travelling numbers. Our own vocals appeared muted except for the drunken numpty behind me who loudly used the F and C words at every opportunity and he found many. He was an embarrassment to our club and supporters.

Cannot really rate the players as only saw second half but I feel there is a partnership in the making between Prosser and for me the impressive debutant Bolger.

Listening to much of the crowd around me and Corr seemed to singled out as 'not at the races' and this was compounded by his poor penalty take.

Clifford looked industrious and had a few nice touches about him. A performance to build on.

JW is a steady old thing but I just cannot enthuse about him. Can tackle but his distribution is woeful.

Barney showed how a penalty should be taken and looked up for it.

It was not an emphatic win or a pretty win but a win nonetheless. It needs to be driven into the players that performances like that in front of goal will not get you the win on too many occasions. Like last season the attack looked busy but toothless. Early days.

Odd day. Stuck in traffic and only managed to arrive for half time. Still had to pay full price to get into a kids meccano set and only a basic starter pack at that. The attendance was woeful apart from our own travelling numbers. Our own vocals appeared muted except for the drunken numpty behind me who loudly used the F and C words at every opportunity and he found many. He was an embarrassment to our club and supporters.

Cannot really rate the players as only saw second half but I feel there is a partnership in the making between Prosser and for me the impressive debutant Bolger.

Listening to much of the crowd around me and Corr seemed to singled out as 'not at the races' and this was compounded by his poor penalty take.

Clifford looked industrious and had a few nice touches about him. A performance to build on.

JW is a steady old thing but I just cannot enthuse about him. Can tackle but his distribution is woeful.

Barney showed how a penalty should be taken and looked up for it.

It was not an emphatic win or a pretty win but a win nonetheless. It needs to be driven into the players that performances like that in front of goal will not get you the win on too many occasions. Like last season the attack looked busy but toothless. Early days.

Open terrace will always be hard to create any noise, also I would not call any fan who travels to the other end of the county spending I would say the best part of £70 minimum on the day an embarrassment to the club, think you need to have a bit more respect there mate

End of the day your at a football match it never has been clean and never likely will be, I don't condone it and because it happens does not make it right but believe me our fans are mild compared to if you was mixed in with west ham or Leeds fans for example

Open terrace will always be hard to create any noise, also I would not call any fan who travels to the other end of the county spending I would say the best part of £70 minimum on the day an embarrassment to the club, think you need to have a bit more respect there mate

I will not have any respect for that numpty or your comments. I too spent that money and plus and endured a rubbish journey and then had to tolerate that. If you condone it just because he turned up then you are no better. Our club does not need that kind of support and can lose supporters because of the mindless and foul.

I will not have any respect for that numpty or your comments. I too spent that money and plus and endured a rubbish journey and then had to tolerate that. If you condone it just because he turned up then you are no better. Our club does not need that kind of support and can lose supporters because of the mindless and foul.

Have a beer mate.

Scott wasn't condoning it, he actually says that, however, unfortunately you will always get the odd person at football who let's it go verbally. Difference yesterday was that if you were on the terrace you could have moved to get away from him. If seated you have every right to speak with a steward.

Scott wasn't condoning it, he actually says that, however, unfortunately you will always get the odd person at football who let's it go verbally. Difference yesterday was that if you were on the terrace you could have moved to get away from him. If seated you have every right to speak with a steward.

I agree entirely that I could have moved but that is defeatist and still leaves the problem for others. If it were the odd word then fine but it was a constant, loud stream. I was very impressed by the stewarding,their good humour and politeness and its a shame that we reciprocate by having his ilk along.

I agree entirely that I could have moved but that is defeatist and still leaves the problem for others. If it were the odd word then fine but it was a constant, loud stream. I was very impressed by the stewarding,their good humour and politeness and its a shame that we reciprocate by having his ilk along.

Is this not a mountain out of a mole hill though mate compounded by the fact you had a **** journey up there?

Really friendly stewards and a credit to accrington

Back