• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Agent Lomas

Manager
The Capital One Cup Returns...

Blues kick off their series of cup fixtures tomorrow at home against Walsall. At this stage last season, Blues bowed out after being beaten 1-0 by Yeovil Town, while The Saddlers beat Port Vale 2-1 at Vale Park in the first round, going on to play Stoke City at The Britannia Stadium, where they lost 3-1.

This competition holds good memories for Blues fans. In the 2006-07 season, we beat AFC Bournemouth (A), Brighton (H) & Leeds (A) before playing host to Manchester United, who we dumped out, winning 1-0, in the match that obviously sticks in the minds of us all to this day. We eventually exited the competition at the hands of Tottenham Hotspur, who we took to extra time, in which Jermain Defoe scored a clear offside goal to put them through. More recently, we have been knocked out at the first round stage for the past three seasons. As previously mentioned, Yeovil Town knocked us out last season. The year before that we were comprehensively beaten 4-0 by Peterborough United at London Road, and the year before that, we lost at home to Leyton Orient on penalties after a 1-1 draw.

Walsall on the other hand have previously reached the Semi-Finals of the Capital One Cup, (or the Associate Members Cup as it was in 1983-84). They got past Blackpool (4-3 on aggregate) & Barnsley (3-0 on aggregate), before they edged out 2-1 winners against Shrewsbury Town at Fellows Park, Walsall's home until 1990. Then came the giant-killing. The Saddlers played Arsenal at Highbury in the Quarter Finals, ending up as 2-1 victors. Liverpool were their Semi-Final opponents, and it is here where they bowed out, losing 2-0 at Fellows Park after holding The Reds to a 2-2 draw at Anfield.
We've Met Before:

First:

29th October 1927 (A) - Walsall 0-1 Blues - Division Three South

Last:

23rd March 2010 (H) - Blues 3-0 Walsall - Coca Cola League One

Most Recent Line-Ups:

Blues -
Bentley, White, Bolger, Prosser, Coker, Hurst (Atkinson 88'), Leonard, Clifford, Coulthirst (Worrell 65'), Weston, Corr (Barnard 72')

Walsall -
O'Donnell, O'Connor, Taylor, Sawyers, Chambers, Downing, Benning, Chambers, Bradshaw (Bakayoko 85'), Grimes, Baxendale (Clifford 70')

Still to be completed, sorry if I don't get it done by this evening...

Last edited:
Looking forward to this, first competitive game at Roots Hall this season. Expecting a slight rotation to the line up from Saturday, but I'm Confident of a win though, I'll go for 2-1 Blues

This is Southend United. Why are you surprised? I'm still waiting for that Millwall game advertised on the ticket office phone line. :winking:

This is Southend United. Why are you surprised? I'm still waiting for that Millwall game advertised on the ticket office phone line. :winking:

That will be the first game to be played at Fossetts Farm ... won't be long now! :winking:

Still can't get over the abuse I'm taking on twitter from some Orient fans re tonight. Calling us tin pot and non league blah blah. Bit rich coming from a team who just managed a crowd in the 5000s on Saturday considering they are one of the favourites for promo. Can't wait for it all to go wrong with the money bags owner.

Still can't get over the abuse I'm taking on twitter from some Orient fans re tonight. Calling us tin pot and non league blah blah. Bit rich coming from a team who just managed a crowd in the 5000s on Saturday considering they are one of the favourites for promo. Can't wait for it all to go wrong with the money bags owner.
Agreed.
Good luck for tonight Southend

Bu2u2NUCUAAtoZj.jpg:large

Just goes to show we have decent strength in depth now to be able to make so many changes.

And the bench is: Tonight's Subs: Bentley, White, Corr, Bolger, Hurst, Weston, Clifford.

Back