• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Of the Three cup compétitions, this is probably the least interesting for us. Lots of games getting in the way of the League schedule, smallish crowds and a smallish chance of getting to the dubious distinction of a Wembley Final, whilst there are lots of chances of picking up injuries on the way. Unfortunately, the League Cup, from which we were sadly eliminated, may not hâve the kudos of the FA Cup but allows access to the BIG CLUBS After only one round. JPT, in and out as quickly as possible for me! Priority 1:- LEAGUE Priority 2:- LEAGUE Priority 3:- LEAGUE!!!

Whilst I agree in part (or mostly) there are benefits to the competition in terms of maintaining a winning streak for instance and in giving time on the pitch to players who are on the fringe of the first XI. This keeps them match fit and gives Browny a chance to try different permutations of players and formations. The downside is factors such as the risk of injury, time travelling etcetera.

And at the end of the competition, there is a trip to Wembley - yes, been there and bought a programme but I would be quite happy to be buying another programme next April (is it April?). :thumbsup:

A 5 minute walk for me!

Any advance (or should that be decrease) on 5 minutes walk?

............ perhaps we can find a supporter who lives across the road from the Black Disc Football Ground (or whatever it is called) - it's one of the grounds I have yet to visit.

Whilst I agree in part (or mostly) there are benefits to the competition in terms of maintaining a winning streak for instance and in giving time on the pitch to players who are on the fringe of the first XI. This keeps them match fit and gives Browny a chance to try different permutations of players and formations. The downside is factors such as the risk of injury, time travelling etcetera.

And at the end of the competition, there is a trip to Wembley - yes, been there and bought a programme but I would be quite happy to be buying another programme next April (is it April?). :thumbsup:
For me. I'd préfèr to go to Wembley for à game that meant something.........i.e à play-off Final.Hell! What am I saying :dim: I DON'T WANT TO GO TO WEMBLEY AT ALL!!! Automatic promotion is the ONLY way!!!

This is one of the grounds I need to tick off the list this season. For that it is a reasonable draw .....just.

Lets hope we get out of this competition early and concentrate on league points without the distractions. The competition is not very inspiring or profitable unless you get to the Final. We really must get promoted this season and get out of this god foresaken division.

The two aren't mutually exclusive

Of course an early exit from the Paint Pot does not guarantee promotion but it will certainly give us more time to recover from knocks and to prepare for the next league game and we don't pick up unnecessary bookings and suspensions etc. With the gates at these games, I doubt that the club make any money out of it unless you get to that park in NW London.

Indeed, we went out of the competition in October last year and didnt get promoted.

True, but we improved on the season befores position. With a small squad like ours, we need to be as fresh as possible to achieve our main aim, which is promotion.

Send out the likes of Payne and our fringe players for some match practice and maybe one or two first team players, but it really shouldn't be seen as anything important.

Really don't get this not giving a toss about the JPT. Some of my best moments as a fan have been in this competition.

Beating QPR 4-0, beating Col U over the two legs to get to Cardiff. The first day out at Cardiff (for 27 seconds anyway), the games against Bristol Rovers the season after, with that goal from Gower down at Bristol. Beating Col U on penalties at Layer Road.

Ben Reeves scoring that winner (equaliser) against Orient, the trip to Wembley with 30,000 over Shrimpers (Spammers)

Yes its not as important as the league, but the club has made a huge amount of money from this competition over the past decade or so, (well over £1m I would of thought, if not £2m) with 3 finals, 3 area finals etc.

I'd be interested to see how much of that £2M has come in the rounds before the semi finals. Promotion to League Two is worth far more to the club in so many other terms (prize money, bums on seats for following season etc). Also, from a player perspective coming to the club, do you think Phil Brown selling the JPT as a target for the season would be as attractive to a potential signing as going for promotion?

There is no question that promotion is worth far more to the club than the JPT. By staying the distance in the JPT we can probably factor in a 10% (at least) hit to our fitness with the extra games, and you might double that in terms of "focus" as Wembley gets close on the horizon.

Nah, not for me.

One reason I want us to get through is an chance to play Vs the scums in next round & show them footballing lesson & a thrashing!!

Send out the likes of Payne and our fringe players for some match practice and maybe one or two first team players, but it really shouldn't be seen as anything important.

You'll be paying the fine for not following JPT team selection rules then ?

I agree with Ex-Trust Treasurer Bloke, I really don't understand why people want us to leave the JPT by the nearest exit. I very much believe you should enter every match aiming to win it and progress as far as you can. And as he said, this competition has given us some brilliant occasions and some wonderful memories. Even though we lost each time, I loved our two days out in Cardiff and one at Wembley and am delighted I had the chance to experience them. This competition offers us our best chance of playing against Colchester and our best chance of getting to Wembley, so why not take it on?

As a League Two team, the odds are stacked against us winning the competition (only four winners from the fourth tier in the thirty-year history of the competition), but I would be thrilled if we got to Wembley again. Look at the finalists over the last ten years of this competition, nine of them came from this division, and two-thirds of those went on to win promotion that same season:

Four of them ended up as champions - Chesterfield (2014), Swindon Town (2012), MK Dons (2008) and Carlisle United (2006)
Two of them got to the play-offs and won promotion - Bristol Rovers (2007) and Southend United (2005)
Two of them ended up mid-table - Southend United (2013) and Grimsby Town (2008)
One of them got relegated - but that was only because Luton (2009) had been given a 30-point deduction.

Success breeds success and if we can go on a winning run in the JPT this can only help with our promotion push, as two-thirds of League Two finalists over the last ten years have shown.

I think we should take the competitioe seriously but not at a cost to the league

I'm in agreement with Tommy, let's try and win the blooming thing AND we must do it with out playing any lads that are tired, carrying niggles or close to get too many points for a ban ( could use it to serve 1 game suspensions?).
We are in it so let's win it!
How good would it be to get a Home draw to Col Ewe and we will all be wanting a Shrimper party night.

I'm in agreement with Tommy, let's try and win the blooming thing AND we must do it with out playing any lads that are tired, carrying niggles or close to get too many points for a ban ( could use it to serve 1 game suspensions?).
We are in it so let's win it!
How good would it be to get a Home draw to Col Ewe and we will all be wanting a Shrimper party night.

Don't know about the rest of you, but I think it would be great to get the Inbreds and win and also auto promotion. Not to bothered about getting to Wembley, just tonking the cousins on the way.

Back