• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I actually think Stevenage will be up there at the end of season. They were overrun early on but they were better than us from 20-45 mins and but for Bentley would have gone in on level terms. Second half was something of a stalemate but they will cause teams problems when they gel. Charles and Marriott look to be very good players. It's a sign of how strong we are that many people saying how poor Stevenage were. Westley is a dinosaur but dinosaurs win games in this division.

As a game, personally I thought the Walsall one was better even though we lost. I wasn't in my usual vantage point in the East Blacks, instead being a guest in the Directors Box today and you get a different feel of the game. Stevenage were a bunch of strongarm bullies and thugs and usually in this division that stands you in good stead. Therefore the ease which we took them apart in the first 20 mins bodes well.

After that however it was all a bit dull. I accept the players attitudes at 2-0 are different to 0-0, but I would prefer us to go 3 or 4 up before coasting, which is what we appeared to do. 2-0 is a dangerous scoreline, especially with 3/4 of the game to play.

My comments on the team -

Bentley - 8 - Made some good stops although his kicking wasn't 100%. Made a terrific punch from a corner. Highlighted how much more solid he is than Smith, who I have a great deal of sympathy for.

White - 7 - Decent performance, stopped a lot of crosses.
Coker - 7.5 - Good performance and a goal with his standing leg!
Bolger - 7 - Commanding, too keen to play the ball back for my liking and seemed at times to be very casual.
Prosser - 8 - Decent performance from him, he'll need more of these to keep his place.

Hurst - 5 - Weak link today, didn't do anything wrong but was pretty anonymous. Looked disinterested.
Leonard- 7 - Stood up well to the Stevenage midfield
Clifford - 7 - Fantastic work rate when he didn't have the ball. Unfortunately he seemed to be posing around when he did have it, rarely making an incisive pass and appearing really prima donna like. I like the lad and think he's got huge potential but needs to focus on hurting the opposition.
Coulthirst - 7 - Better than on Tuesday, has all the build up and no end product, whether it's a shot or a cross. If he gets that bit he will be terrific.

Weston - 8.5 - MOM - Great home debut, terrific finish and worked tirelessly against strongarm tactics.
Corr - 8 - Again, worked tirelessly and won loads. His contribution can't be ignored.

Subs -
Worrall - 7 - Made himself available all the time, good work rate.
Barnard - 6 - Not on long enough to make an impact.

Ref - 5 - Wasn't overly great for either side and seemed to react to the players rather than make his own decisions.

Overall I walked away from the match feeling optimistic about our chances for the season. A good win against a team that could be up there at the end of the season.

I liked the look of the new signings and just as importantly the fact we still have Leonard and Bentley means we should improve on last season.

In attack we created chances in many different ways, from out wide, through the middle, in behind, in the air. We also showed a lot of pace, something we struggled with last year. Thought Clifford looked good going forward and has come on leaps and bounds.

Defensively, despite a second clean sheet, we looked a bit shaky at times and Bentley had to make two great saves in the first half. I don't think the midfield offered enough protection to the defenders through the game and Stevenage had their chances to get at least a point.

However, 6 points from 6 and a home game to come on Tuesday night! Up the blues!

A lot of positives and 6 points in the bag. My main concern remains and was highlighted yesterday. We will get a lot less opportunities to score than yesterday and however poor the Stevenage defence was, especially in the first period, we spurned chance after chance. Hopefully we will click more upfront.

Weston looked the nuts and he is super quick..Great stuff from him.

Overall we began very well went 2 up then took our foot off the gas and I thought if Boro nicked one it was Defo game on.

6 points from 2 and yet to concede is damn nice.

Well done to all.

After that however it was all a bit dull. I accept the players attitudes at 2-0 are different to 0-0, but I would prefer us to go 3 or 4 up before coasting, which is what we appeared to do. 2-0 is a dangerous scoreline, especially with 3/4 of the game to play.

I quite liked the fact we saw the game out so comfortably. There's a long season ahead, and we've got another game on Tuesday night. I got the feeling that if any of those chances had beaten Dan, we'd have upped our game and put a few more past them, which is a good sign.

Certainly promising, thought we went off the boil a little after Clifford's booking. He quite rightly held back a little and that detracted from his game. Still think he is a walking Red Card just hope he learns because at his best he is definitely an asset.

That. Above. I think he is learning.

And did anybody else realise that it was Coker's right foot with the shot? Clearly, it is not just for standing on ....

Weston, Bolger, Clifford, Bentley massive positives, Hurst needs an extended rest as going through the motions. Worral done more than him in 20 minutes!

Weston, Bolger, Clifford, Bentley massive positives, Hurst needs an extended rest as going through the motions. Worral done more than him in 20 minutes!

This worries me about Hurst. He looked totally uninterested yesterday. I wonder if he's cheesed off that Brown keeps buying wingers?

This worries me about Hurst. He looked totally uninterested yesterday. I wonder if he's cheesed off that Brown keeps buying wingers?

How did he look uninterested? It wasn't like he just standing around as he was running up and down the wing trying to get involved in the game and not just standing around not bothering to defend.

He wasn't great, but he wasn't poor either.

Really solid performance I thought. The only thing that really annoyed me was Clifford's reckless, needless challenge to get booked after the re-start after we made it 2-0. I think he could be a great player but I'm always on edge that he could be sent off at any minute.

Kevan may be a hit unsure of his role in the current midfield line up. Does he stay out wide and line up with Weston or does he help out across the middle? I can only assume PB has given him instruction on what is expected but I could not identify a recognisable role for him yesterday.
That said he didn't have his best game, neither was he a passenger & have a stinker.

Kevan may be a hit unsure of his role in the current midfield line up. Does he stay out wide and line up with Weston or does he help out across the middle? I can only assume PB has given him instruction on what is expected but I could not identify a recognisable role for him yesterday.
That said he didn't have his best game, neither was he a passenger & have a stinker.

I agree, but I do wonder if he is thinking about a move (upwards?) based on last season's exploits and the fact that the club would get a fee for him. I know that sounds a bit daft, but stranger things have happened. Does the transfer window run to the end of August?

I believe our opinion on hurst is being affected by the fact we actually have decent options now in that position.....I dont think hurst was terrible just didn't have any real impact. Look at mads lurking over the CBs same with Worral pressing for a start. ....competition for places...love it

Weston sounds brilliant, why did the Gills let him go? Only gripe from yesterday really is, I wish we could just punish sides when they are shell shocked and on the ropes. Why take your foot off the peddle with an hour of the game remaining.

Weston sounds brilliant, why did the Gills let him go? Only gripe from yesterday really is, I wish we could just punish sides when they are shell shocked and on the ropes. Why take your foot off the peddle with an hour of the game remaining.

Or recognise you have smashed the granny out of the oppo early doors and be calm and controlled leaving something in the tank for big game
tuesday

With both Matt Tubbs & Ade Akinfenwa to contend with on Tuesday, did we need to kill ourselves? We have to pace ourselves.

Back