• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Great first 30 minutes, some of the best football I've seen from us. Made Stevenage look very average. The rest of the game was relatively even, although we always seemed to be in control and seemed to have a couple of gears left if needed.

Bentley 8.5 MOTM — Did everything that was asked of him, commanded his area well and made 2 quality saves that really should have been goals.
White 7 — Solid, played the ball about well.
Bolger 6 — Looked a bit shaky to me and passing wasn't the most cultured. No doubt he will be a good signing though.
Prosser 7 — Pretty dominant at the back, but still part of a back 4 that should have conceded a couple.
Coker 7.5 — Solid defensively and good going forwards, although crosses lacked a bit of quality today. Took his goal well.
Leonard 7.5 — His usual quality self.
Clifford 7.5 — Very much think Clifford could be the breakthrough player this year, has all the ability, dominated the midfield, at the heart of everything, just needs to stay on the field.
Hurst 6.5 — Didn't notice him a lot to be fair, one of his quieter days.
Coulthirst 7.5 — You can tell he's used to playing with better players. Lots of incisive runs, a very astute signing.
Weston 8 — His runs in behind terrorised the defence, pace to burn, took his goal well, but I can understand what Gillingham said about end product. Did very well today though to be fair, seems a very useful option and good signing.
Corr 7 — Worked hard, did his job well, didn't have many opportunities in front of goal though.

Subs:
Worral 7 — Like the look of the lad. Works hard and looks to drive with the ball, seems similar to Atkinson but maybe with a bit more class. Early days.
Barnard — Too little time to tell. Good endeavour.

A frantic start to the game basically wrapped up the points for us. We looked good at the start of both halves but faded afterwards. Stevenage were good at times but Bentley and the defence stood strong.

The forward lineup looks like it has real potential now, more intentional than the makeshift Straker/Corr/Hurst lineup that we saw a lot last season. The flick on header for the first goal would not have happened last season as there was no natural player to run off Corrs shoulder.

Bentley - 7 - Good stops, spread his body well and came for the ball with much more confidence than say this time last season...Kicking was off mostly but it was his kick that lead to the first.

White - 6.5 - Did all that was needed. Could have got forward more but I suppose Hurst offers some natural width from the midfield anyway.
Bolger - 7 - He is pretty solid positionally, does just enough in the air.
Prosser - 7 - Standard performance, great blocks and did well in the air.
Coker - 7.5 - Terrific finish for his goal.

Hurst - 6.5 - Did okay in the midfield 3.
Leonard 7.5 - Definitely the pick of the midfielders, not known for his crossing but he should have done better when in some great positions.
Clifford - 7 - Covered a lot of ground and kept the ball moving well.

Weston - 7 - Great finish for his goal and did worry their defenders early on but really faded. I like the look of him.
Corr - 8 - 2 assists and just looked better having other strikers around him.
Coulthirst - 7 - Like Weston he really panicked their defenders, most of his contribution was positive and he should have possibly scored, just lacked with his final product.

Barnard - 7 - Thought he did well when he came on, his positioning seemed decent and link upped well.
Worrall - 6 - Not on for that long but seemed to fit in well.
Ibenfeldt - 10 - He so nearly got on the pitch and good warm up at half time.

2 up early on, job done. Second half wasn't entertaining really but it didn't need to be. Played 2 6 points, none conceded. I'll settle or that!

Interestingly, we are the only team in League Two yet to concede a goal with only two games played. Defensively, we looked really solid today and Bentley made two fine saves on the rare occasions he was called upon. I think we'll be tough to beat this season.

Two out of two. No complaints with that.

Bentley 8 Made two crucial blocks when it was 2-0. Game changing saves.
White 7 Solid. Got forward more than usual, which was nice to see
Coker 7.5 A top player. Lovely one-two for his goal, which he took well with his weaker foot
Bolger 8 Immense. Made it look so easy.
Prosser 7 Solid. Gives his all
Hurst 7.5 Much better today. Tidy play
Clifford 8 My MOTM. Passed, dribbled, tackled. Bossed the midfield with Lenny.
Leonard 7.5 As above. Typical high tempo Lenny performance
Shaq 7 Did ok. Some nice footwork. Seems to have settled in well
Corr 7.5 Lead the line really well. nice flick-on's and hold up play
Weston 8 His pace caused problems and was a real threat alongside BBBC
Subs:
Worrall (for Hurst) 7 Did ok. We needed fresh legs at that time
Barnard (for Shaq) 7 Looks sharp. Good competition for places up front

Coker 7.5 A top player. Lovely one-two for his goal, which he took well with his weaker foot
Subs:

Can't argue with much of that. Bolger didn't look quite as good as I expected him to be but still did well. Uses his experience to nudge players off the ball. Clifford my MOM too.

Very strange match.

Came out of the traps at 100mph and scored twice against a very average Stevenage side.

The rest of the game was almost played in second gear such was the ease that we kept them at bay.

Bentley still made a fabulous save to keep a clean sheet and another that was much more routine.

Bentley 7. Made a great save first half but his kicking was way off.

White. 7 solid today

Coker 7 as above

Bolger 8 nothing got past and his reading of the game is very good MOM

Prosser 7 solid as always

Leonard 6 not his usual high standard but did nothing wrong

Clifford 7 buzzed around and made his customary foul and got booked which cost him an 8

Weston. Looked lively is incredibly quick. Took his goal well 7.5

Hurst did nothing of note but nothing wrong 6

Shaq was busy but for me will get better with experience 6

Corr worked really hard and had a hand in both goals 7

Subs

Worrell looked lively and was involved and may replace Hurst soon 6

Barney looks sharper than last season 6

Tbv I'm sure that V weekend had an effect on numbers. But still sung in spits and spurts

6 points gained and we welcome another in form team Tuesday who will undoubtedly attack us more.

Subs:

I thought he was our weakest link. Too many passes went to their players and seemed off the pace.

Shaq I thought was better on Tuesday when he played in the middle but still a good performance today.

My MOTM was Clifford.

Funny how we all see things differently in terms of priority. Bentley did make some errors with kicks and one throw but did two brilliant saves second half. To me the saves are far more important and for me he would be a nine. Conversely I foccussed on Shaw second half as his play was infrobt of me (W). Three times there was an easy pass in to Coker and he didn't do it. Coker had a right go at him on the third one which he did not respond well to. Late on core gave him a perfect knock down (**would have put Barry on an assist hat trick) which he fluffed badly with no acknowledgement to Barry for the lay off. Small things but I remain to be convinced based on Tuesday and today.

Ps corr Kenny and Clifford the main men for me. Without a yellow Clifford would have been a total stand out but it impacted his game

Comment of the match "Barry Corr just isn't a footballer is he?"

Apart from the 2 assists and intelligent hold up play, nah he aint a footballer mate. :facepalm:

From the Stevenage FC, OS;

" " Not many teams will take points away from Roots Hall this season as Phil Brown’s men look to better last year’s playoff campaign with a real push for automatic promotion. However, despite being outplayed for much of this game, Stevenage will be hoping to respond with a much brighter performance when they travel to Plymouth on Tuesday evening ".

Well Done Blues, keep it going.

;

Just got back home. relished every minute looking back driving home and top of the league with clean sheets. Well done lads. Look forward to my £20 bet as outright winners paying out!!

Bentley 7.5 came out quick, stood up well on 2 good saves, one directly at him
White 7.0 Solid and well skippered.
Coker 7.5 Pretty good, well taken goal. nearly booked, bad habit of jumping to badly into players when ball in the air.
Bolger 7.5 Steady, Good positioning, hoofed out when necessary, a bit ponderous, will grow in stature and confidence
Prosser 7.5 Organised, disciplined, leading the back four , shouting good
Hurst 7.0. Better game, looks fatter in white shirt, or should I say more solid
Clifford 8.0 Excellent again, steamed into them, won so many balls and distributed well
Leonard 8.0 Up their with Clifford, great performance with some of the most telling key tackles when we were in trouble
Shaq 7.5 Showed some great skill, caused lots of problems , may need to work more on finishing
Corr 8.0 Brilliant, worked his socks off[, took some hefty challenges, won the ball well
Weston 7.5 Excellent runs, created lots of space, well taken goal, didnt always get the best long passes hit to him

Excellent start , good passing and movement. Two clean sheets great but we did lose concentration at the back too easily and markers and were luck at times they didnt get back into game, thanks to 2 great Dan saves.

Perhaps they played in second gear as they have to play again Tuesday night.

I think that its hard when you go 2-0 up to maintain the momentum.

Comment of the match "Barry Corr just isn't a footballer is he?"

Apart from the 2 assists and intelligent hold up play, nah he aint a footballer mate. :facepalm:

If strikers dont score goals some people think they havent done anything unfortunately.

Good first 30 mins poor 60. Worrying times..

Er ? What?!

99 minutes of the game and all the players looked like they could have carried on running for a lot longer. All looked very fit and a good cohesive team display.
As McN states, 2 nil up and game done so I think maybe it was wise to ease back for Tuesday.
I would rate all 7 or 8 mark wise with no stand out good or weak players.
Fully marks to the lads, staff and management as this could have been a tricky fixture.

Weston's runs along the line are so refreshing to see. Intelligent, timed to perfection and his pace really gets us up the pitch. He'll be a threat up front with Corr this season, defences will hate playing against him. Really like him and wish we had him in our squad last year!
Also, Bentley deserves a mention for his outstanding save at the end of the half. I think that was a key moment in the game and had it gone in it could have been a different second half.

Back