• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

No, your wrong. The title of the post is as (look at it). No one is doubting his ability and our good fortune to have him playing for us, it's just that some people have commented that it is pointless to single out one player when it is a team game and up to them all to 'save' us points..
I know what you mean, but that's not my point. The question is how many points will he save, whereas some people are saying 'of course he will save us points'. Well, that's obvious, everyone has their role to play, the question is to do with how valuable will Bentley be to us this season, in terms of points, not 'will a goalkeeper save us points?'.

Obviously every player contributes to the points on the board, but it's much easier to evaluate a keeper as you can pin point their contribution as they're involved less. Bentley's ability is easily beyond League 2 in my opinion and therefore I don't really see why people think this question is irrelevant.

The point of this thread was that above and beyond what we expect keepers to do, ie save shots and keep clean sheets.

Bentley is a talented young man that is at a skill set above many keepers in our division.

As stated before it was said Peter Shilton was worth 20 odd points a season. Was Brian Clough to be believed.

Maybe I should have changed the heading to how many points will Bentley save us compared to playing Paul Smith

Its all subjective

In case any other teams are still looking at him before the transfer window closes, he is pretty useless and not worthy of any interest. :winking: However, we do have a brilliant keeper by the name of Smith...............

In past successful seasons our keepers have had a big influence. Paul sansome was a real solid keeper and great communicator easy worth 9/12 points a season. Darryl was an awsome shot stopper again he would be worth a dozen or so points.....play offs at home to northampton he made a miracle save from almost point blank. If wevgo up this year we will need dan to be on par with those guys....sometimes hard to qualify a keepers contribution. ...we kept 20 clean sheets last season....how many due to defensive awesomeness how many thanks to super saves from dan????

What do points mean??.............. I think he could save us from HMRC, each clean sheet must be worth another 25k? given his burgeoning reputation

first one getting down quickly as it went across him was very good.

second one he wouldnt have been able to get out of the way of even if he wanted to!

first one getting down quickly as it went across him was very good.

second one he wouldnt have been able to get out of the way of even if he wanted to!

But if he wasn't off his line so quick he wouldn't have been in the position of not being able to get out of the way

I know football is about opinions , but jeeeeez some people seem to be pedantic and argue for the sake of it

Shrimpermoan.com at its finest, now watch someone slate me for moaning about moaning or grammar or if this post is too early in the week, some absolute a holes on here, the original poster just wanted a general chit chat about how important dan bentley could be for us, but oh no as usual some on here have to strip it down and as usual pass opinion as fact one of the down sides on here, I normally keep quiet about it but decided to say bollocks to you moaners and nitpickers you know who you are.

50% of goalkeeping is about positioning. Peter Schmeichel used to get a lot of shots right at him which he "wouldn't have been able to get out of the way of if he wanted to".

50% of goalkeeping is about positioning. Peter Schmeichel used to get a lot of shots right at him which he "wouldn't have been able to get out of the way of if he wanted to".

Exactly, and also the way he came off his line and spread himself was similar to how Bentley saved those 2 shots.

'Team of the Day' appearences don't mean anything unless the people awarding them have seen every game. Which they won't have done.

Still a bit of time to go yet on the transfer window, so could still depart, in which case not many points would be saved? I wonder what would happen if he did leave in 3 or 4 weeks? Paul back in or young Ted now that he has gained his first razor, or someone new on loan? Wonder how Ted would manage against the like of Akinfenwa for example. Better get young Teddy off to the joint that Hursty might have been grazing at,

Delighted to see England Scouts out to watch Dan for England Under 21s. Another big stepping stone, I hope he gets the call!! Not only that young Ted picked again for Engand U21s to face Germany next week, brilliant, possibly 2 England keepers when Dan gets the call up

Delighted to see England Scouts out to watch Dan for England Under 21s. Another big stepping stone, I hope he gets the call!! Not only that young Ted picked again for Engand U21s to face Germany next week, brilliant, possibly 2 England keepers when Dan gets the call up

http://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/article/250814-ted-smith-england-1870212.aspx

Ted is off on the 4th September, 2 days after the JPT game - wonder if he is in contention for that one.

If Bentley does get a call up and with games on the 5th and 9th of September he could miss out on the JPT game and Oxford game too. While the other under 21 goalkeepers are all at clubs at higher levels (Man Utd, Stoke and Watford) none of them are getting regular football like Bentley is.

Back