• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

All I've seen is a load of self promoting celebrity type people getting in on the act and suggesting others of their ilk to do the same. Have any of these so called celebrities actually donated to the ALS cause? I doubt it, but then I also doubt that's the reason their doing it is it? I would even go so far as say there are also ulterior motives for your normal joe public doing it and posting the videos on YouTube and Facebook. Lets see how many likes, shares and views I can get shall we ;)

Don't get me wrong. If it's highlighted the cause of ALS then that's great but I think it says a whole lot more about the celebrities and non celebrities posting the videos than it does about their true reasons for taking part and doing it.

Who cares if it does? It's mildly interesting on occasion and, according to the NY Times, it's raised more than $41m for the charity. I get Drastic's point about not wanting to be bullied into donating but ultimately it's about awareness. Huge kudos to whoever kick-started the bandwagon.

And who are any of us to question whether any 'so called' celebrities actually donated? To quote something back, I think it says a whole lot more about the people questioning their motives than it does about the celebrities' motives themselves. Why should we assume they didn't?

Why does everything always have to be so cynical?

For the record, I'd never heard of ALS.

With her forthcoming comeback concerts , surely it must be Kate Bush ?

So you pour ice over your head, and its to help people who cant help themselves, is that it. Sorry if I seem a bit out of it, but im struggling to understand the concept.

The ice is a representation of the pain sufferers of ALS/MND suffer during the sclerosis of synapses. The ice bucket challenge has undeniably brought a huge amount of awareness, and possibly opened the eyes of a generation that were most likely wholly unaware of ALS or MND. How can that be a bad thing? Regardless of people's motivations?

The ice is a representation of the pain sufferers of ALS/MND suffer during the sclerosis of synapses. The ice bucket challenge has undeniably brought a huge amount of awareness, and possibly opened the eyes of a generation that were most likely wholly unaware of ALS or MND. How can that be a bad thing? Regardless of people's motivations?

An excellent explanation of the reasoning.....anything that has raised over $50 million for a condition such as this must be worth supporting.

I get the point being made and the amount of money raised is fantastic but I wonder just how many people on Facebook who are happily tipping buckets of water over their heads are actually donating to the charity. I have already told people not to nominate me as I'm not doing it although I will make a donation to the cause.

I get the point being made and the amount of money raised is fantastic but I wonder just how many people on Facebook who are happily tipping buckets of water over their heads are actually donating to the charity. I have already told people not to nominate me as I'm not doing it although I will make a donation to the cause.

I agree GHG, some people are probably not making the donation, but then that's down to their own conscience. Hubby's done his challenge and we've both donated.

Back