• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brown's familiar feeling

Evening Echo

The News
BLUES boss Phil Brown was left experiencing a familiar feeling of frustration following his side's 1-1 draw at Carlisle United on Saturday.

More...

Dropping 5 points against the likes of Wimbledon and Carlisle is a bitter pill to swallow and could easily haunt us later in the season,True we have missed numerous chances yet Phil selects the same guys the following game!

Mad as a march hare!

Dropping 5 points against the likes of Wimbledon and Carlisle is a bitter pill to swallow and could easily haunt us later in the season,True we have missed numerous chances yet Phil selects the same guys the following game!

Mad as a march hare!

Who would you swap?

Back 5 pretty much picks itself and with 2 clean sheets from 4 league games it is hard to argue. Clifford has been brilliant so far and Leonard was our best player last season. Coulthirst is a someone who can create chances and will be a threat. Hurst hasn't been playing well, but his crossing is probably the best in the team and can score goals. Weston has the pace up front which you were constantly moaning about the lack of last season and then we have Corr who will help supply Weston and others by winning headers.

Only player I would take out is Hurst which we could put in Payne (not a winger) or Worrall, unless we put Weston on the wing and put Barnard up front (I know you'd love to see that :winking:).

What is the manager supposed to say if the team is still failing to convert chances into goals? His job is to accurately analyse how the team is performing rather than putting a fresh gloss on an existing problem.

If we were further into the season I could understand some of the vitriol that is appearing on PB. But this early...........get a life for God's sake.

We won our first two league games , created numerous chances in our next and then drew away.
Ffs , some people on this site talk talk total and utter dog poo !

Who would you swap?

Back 5 pretty much picks itself and with 2 clean sheets from 4 league games it is hard to argue. Clifford has been brilliant so far and Leonard was our best player last season. Coulthirst is a someone who can create chances and will be a threat. Hurst hasn't been playing well, but his crossing is probably the best in the team and can score goals. Weston has the pace up front which you were constantly moaning about the lack of last season and then we have Corr who will help supply Weston and others by winning headers.

Only player I would take out is Hurst which we could put in Payne (not a winger) or Worrall, unless we put Weston on the wing and put Barnard up front (I know you'd love to see that :winking:).

Not a big fan of the target man system as I prefer 2 live wires up top and with the big guy every team becomes one dimensional as they constantly try to hit him with long boring high balls,So Corr would be dropped and revert to 442.

We won our first two league games , created numerous chances in our next and then drew away.
Ffs , some people on this site talk talk total and utter dog poo !

Yeah and then dropped 5 points in the next 2 games.

Yeah and then dropped 5 points in the next 2 games.

Mrs Blue
This is the first time I have replied to one of your comments but feel I need to.
We are all entitled to an opinion fair enough, but we need to be open minded and look at the bigger picture.
We have won two league games, drawn one away at the furthest distance game we will play and lost at home to a smash and grab when we squandered numerous chances. The youngsters are clearly not impressing PB in training and we have what we have. Weston was clean through after three minutes or so and should have scored. Others had numerous chances to score including Barnards point Blank header that more hit the keeper than was saved. The only other option is for PB himself to get on the pitch and show them how its done (two goals in the legends game on meet the Blues day). Not a practical option but give him a chance as he's earnt it.

PB has made us a very hard team to beat and we play attractive football. Yes we could do with a better strike force but it isn't easy to find those players especially given the financial constraints he is working under. Managing SUFC must be a very difficult job in the last few years so get off his back and judge him after at least 15 games not 5 !!!!!

Save your breath or posts gents, Mrs B has an opinion which she airs regularly, and nothing and no one will change it. If she agreed with some of you there would be no need for her to post would there?............hmmm

Who would you swap?

Personally, I would like to see exactly this. Drop Hurst and give Worrall a chance to show what he can do. Might in the long run be good for Hurst too. Otherwise, I wouldn't change it much. It is, as others have said, early in the season and we are creating lots of chances. That could stop happening if we make wholesale changes - you need to get good understanding between players by playing games together and PB obviously feels that this is his best team.
Other than that, I would work on the finishing and be on the lookout for a natural finisher. Yes, I know they are hard to come by, but I would still be looking and I'm sure they are!

Its not about changing the manager or the players but it is about making change. Yes we drew away and that papered over the cracks. If we had been up against many other sides we would have been 2 or 3 down before halftime. Either the tactics are not right or the players are not following instructions. I expect it is the first and not the latter.

Last Thursday PB is in the Echo saying he does not want this to be the same as last season. A few days on and he is in the Echo saying 'it was the same old story.' Well change something then!

I agree and disagree with much of what has been said above, and yes it's early doors. 10 games is always a marker and based on current form we will have around 15 or 16 points which will probably have us in the top 8. However, my concern has been for some time upfront. We do not have a 20 goals a season striker and ultimately teams that get promoted have one. I know in the current climate they are hard to find and I don't expect PB to wave a magic wand, but even at this stage the amount of chances wasted is a concern. It's no point in saying what if Weston had put his chance away against Wimbledon etc, fact is he and others missed some very chances, Wimbledon put theirs away, that's fact. Should we be worried no, not really as others have said we are four games in, should we be concerned regarding lack of goals, possibly, but time will tell. Defo think it's time to give Worrell a chance ahead of Hurst and bring Payne in for Coulthirst, go two up top with Weston feeding off Corr.

Corr in the box with two wingers crossing. That is where Corr scores. He is playing too deep and relying on him flicking on chances for others is hit and miss.

Maybe making better use of the forwards that we have. I have watched a lot of training sessions, and not enough time is spent on target/shooting practise. Dave Penney does it now and again, but it is more a pass square along the ground for the striker or played from behind to run on and shoot first time. This doesn't help players like Weston and Coulthirst who rain down on goal from an angle having got past the defender. Their shots are mainly woeful having only the goalie to beat. This needs to be practised and very much improved. Also, our strikers seem to be trying to pass or place the ball in the net, with no where near enough power. It's allowing the goalkeepers to get their hand to the ball, and making them look brilliant. Power in the shots needs to be stepped up. It is something you can practise, and I strongly believe would turn into more goals.

Every season we seem to get the doom and gloom merchants on here calling for players' or the manager's heads because we have not won all of our first few games. Based on projections from the first four games, Morecambe will finish the season on 138 points with a goal difference of +69 but I am sure that even the most avid Morecambe fan would say that is nonsense. We need to be patient, give players time to settle in and see where we are after ten or so games. I can remember a couple of seasons ago people on here calling for Gavin Tomlin to be dropped after his first seven or eight games or less because he looked as though he was never going to score and how many goals did he get by the end of the season?

Last edited:
Back