• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

On point 4, ask SK to clarify why the rake angle of the terracing precludes the installation of rail seats. I'm thinking his answer and that of the architects (who I believe to still be Populous - a major player in this sector) is ill conceived.

I will try to find the answer to that for you, our next meeting isn't for a few weeks though.

Talking about standing in a stadium that a) doesn't exist and b) is not going to exist for a long time yet.

Talk about getting to step 1001 when we aren't even at step 1 yet.

An example of how simple it is to bash the Trust without actually considering that this HAD been discussed. Liaison minutes Feb 2014. Item 4.

http://www.shrimperstrust.co.uk/n_images/mins/2014/85-05Feb14.pdf

People arent generally going to go hunting for information in liason minutes, but Im pretty sure that when these minutes were released this was actually discussed on here as a result of them.

So basically all that was said was not they were ruled out, just the current design wasnt suitable.

Thanks for posting the minutes, interesting stuff. The people at the Safe Standing UK disagree with this viewpoint that the design wouldn't allow for rail seats.

...and the people that make and install stadium seats and rail seats disagree.

There currently exists no legislation to permit the retro-installation of rail seats in English football league stadiums, so it is nonsense to go yet further and suggest that the current design does not permit for the installation of such a system.
The only legislation/design guidance they can (wrongly) be using as a benchmark for the potential installation of a rail seat system at FF is that best practice guidance used to determine safe installation of crush barriers for standing terraces, and that is a lazy and massively flawed direction to take.
In short, if you have a concrete terrace which has been designed and constructed to minimum viewing standards, then you can install a rail seat.

The old plans werent compatible, will be interesting to see if provision has been made in the new ones.

For the time being it is. However, it's not like the new stadium will be completed tomorrow (or even in a decade). Momentum is growing for safe standing and the Lib Dems are planning to include it in their manifesto. Obviously the Lib Dems have reneged on their promises before, but the point is it has reached Westminster and there's only so long they can ignore the growing calls of fans. In a decade's time, I would be willing to be safe standing areas will be standard in new stadia.

I know its over a year since this was posted and we have since had the general election. Does any see the irony in the fact that the Lib Dems supported standing but lost all their seats.

The old plans werent compatible, will be interesting to see if provision has been made in the new ones.

I had an email from SK today to say that nothing has been approved. I think we have a really good chance here to convince the club that this is worth pursuing.

Agree. This is a great opportunity. Once this ground is built, there's every chance it will our home for 50 years plus (if we can last that long). Can we really deny Southend fans of the future the opportunity to stand at football matches?

I'll be lobbying for it and I hope others will do the same. We're too small a.club to ignore the wishes of our fanbase.

Probably need Sherif's expertise to tell us if the ground design is different enough to be able to allow it this time around, it certainly wasn't suitable before.

The plans are barely past the drawing board stage and Friday/Saturday are consultation events, are there not? There has to be room for manoeuvre otherwise why actively seek the views of supporters?

In the recent All At Sea survey, 73% of fans said they would like to see rail seats at any new stadium. 83% supported bringing back standing areas. Even more convincing. 67% felt the Blue Voice had improved the atmosphere - a section that mainly stands in seated areas.

The plans are barely past the drawing board stage and Friday/Saturday are consultation events, are there not? There has to be room for manoeuvre otherwise why actively seek the views of supporters?

In the recent All At Sea survey, 73% of fans said they would like to see rail seats at any new stadium. 83% supported bringing back standing areas. Even more convincing. 67% felt the Blue Voice had improved the atmosphere - a section that mainly stands in seated areas.

Needs stats like this. Also check out:

http://www.safestandingroadshow.co.uk/

http://www.fsf.org.uk/campaigns/safe-standing/

https://youtu.be/rAqa-auSn8w

Back